Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I bought my '14 RT L new, I have about 30k miles and it now has a Dess code.
    I live in Greatfalls Mt, any suggestions?
    2014 RT L Lightin' LeeRoy
    1980 CM 400A
    1982 CM 450A
    [/SIGPIC]Lightnin' LeeRoy

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightnin leeRoy View Post
    I bought my '14 RT L new, I have about 30k miles and it now has a Dess code.
    I live in Greatfalls Mt, any suggestions?
    I'm lazy ….read my post #50, and or #26 … that's the easiest alternative …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you want I can guide you thru DIYing yourself …. not hard just time consuming because the FRUNK has to come off ( *********** is full of Hooey that it can be changed without re-moving the Frunk ) …. the Module is $135.00 last I checked & no BUDS is necessary ….. Mike
    Some folk are guilty of fake news. It certainly can be changed without removing body panels, I've done it.

However, it is a good idea to relocate the DESS unit incase it fails again and you need easy access to it, so here's my suggestion: The old DESS is up on the frame above the battery and its connector hangs down and is easily reached and disconnected. Disconnect the cable, reconnect the replacement DESS and cable tie it to the top of the battery bracket. Leave the old one in situ, why would you bother removing it?
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Will there be anyone at the SPYDER RALLY in Maggie Valley. N.C. in Oct that can disable the DESS ?

Thanks
    Roger

Spyder Garage

I left my Spyder sit at work overnight. I arrived the next morning, it started normal and has started everyday.
    2014 RT L Lightin' LeeRoy
    1980 CM 400A
    1982 CM 450A
    [/SIGPIC]Lightnin' LeeRoy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightnin leeRoy View Post
    I left my Spyder sit at work overnight. I arrived the next morning, it started normal and has started everyday.
    You need to get it fixed pronto. Once DESS errors once, it will get worse and leave you stranded somewhere.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You need to get it fixed pronto. Once DESS errors once, it will get worse and leave you stranded somewhere.
    …… From what others have reported here, the DESS failure isn't usually catastrophic ie. total & complete failure..... it seems to be a progressive thing, but once it begins the end result will Total...… 3 to 10 or so re-starts, but eventually total failure is the out-come …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by w6ada View Post
    Hi, been reading ours an hours of threads regarding the DESS and key Error problems. Is this an issue still continuing? I have a 2014 spider and it appears these issues started then. Can I be comfortable buying a brand new spider that I will not have this issue?
    To answer your question, w6ada, I would definitely purchase a new Spyder and not be concerned with the DESS issue.
    Based on my own experience, 59K combined miles from riding 2012 and 2015 RTL Ltd's, I have not had this, nor any other mechanical or electrical problem. This is not to say that DESS failure or a different component failure won't happen to me, but I am completely satisfied with my Spyder and do not dwell on what may happen. You should also know that the DESS failure does not happen to every Spyder, I do think it is a minority of bikes that suffer this failure. However, it is good to know of potential problems, such as DESS failure, parking brake not releasing, compartment doors not opening properly, etc. so that if a failure does occur you will be able to address it quickly and knowledgeably.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    To answer your question, w6ada, I would definitely purchase a new Spyder and not be concerned with the DESS issue.
    Based on my own experience, 59K combined miles from riding 2012 and 2015 RTL Ltd's, I have not had this, nor any other mechanical or electrical problem. This is not to say that DESS failure or a different component failure won't happen to me, but I am completely satisfied with my Spyder and do not dwell on what may happen. You should also know that the DESS failure does not happen to every Spyder, I do think it is a minority of bikes that suffer this failure. However, it is good to know of potential problems, such as DESS failure, parking brake not releasing, compartment doors not opening properly, etc. so that if a failure does occur you will be able to address it quickly and knowledgeably.
    " Don't be concerned with a DESS failure " ………. I know of at least 75 failures and some multiple times ( and this from this forum ) ….. I hope it never happens to you …… but to suggest it is only a rare occurrence - well, I don't think they are rare and as far as I can tell BRP has not solved the problem …..Yet !! ……...good luck to all ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Just a bit of clarification for me please.
    I just got a 2014 RT one week ago and have seen the orange screen come up twice. Each time I cycled the key off and then immediately back on and the bike started. Am I headed for failure ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
    I just got a 2014 RT one week ago and have seen the orange screen come up twice. Each time I cycled the key off and then immediately back on and the bike started. Am I headed for failure ?
    in my experience yes

Spyder Garage

Ok then , guess I'll be ordering myself one of 710004916.
    Fortunately I have to venture inside the bodywork to switch out my gps harness so I'll pull the frunk off at the same time and change out that module.

Spyder Garage

Ok then , guess I'll be ordering myself one of 710004916.
    Fortunately I have to venture inside the bodywork to switch out my gps harness so I'll pull the frunk off at the same time and change out that module.
    I have pics in one of my albums showing where it is and where I re-located it to afterwards …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you sir , I’ll have a look

Spyder Garage

Yes,you are headed for a failure. I have a had the D.E.S.S module replaced twice ( both times under warranty, I have a 2014 RTS-SE6) and the ignition switch replaced once( under warranty).

Get the D.E.S.S module replaced.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Yes,you are headed for a failure. I have a had the D.E.S.S module replaced twice ( both times under warranty, I have a 2014 RTS-SE6) and the ignition switch replaced once( under warranty).

Get the D.E.S.S module replaced.

Deanna
    New one is on order ,should have it this week. When I do the install I will relocate it as BlueKnight911 did . Also plan to buy a back up and keep it with me if I travel.

Spyder Garage

i went ahead and changed the antenna too on my 2015 rs,

Spyder Garage

I'm going to get in on this so it's easier to locate later because we had this error the first time we brought our 2014 home but thought it was low battery. Maybe I should relocate as others suggested and keep a spare module with me?

Tim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pictreed View Post
    I'm going to get in on this so it's easier to locate later because we had this error the first time we brought our 2014 home but thought it was low battery. Maybe I should relocate as others suggested and keep a spare module with me?

Tim
    i found on mine when it quit for good i could raise the antenna and it would start every time, you can turn the ring under the key with pliars and pull it off and pry the antenna up higher without removing anything, and without damaging anything if you're careful, i had to get my antenna so high to start it you couldn't leave it that way though. just something to get you home.

Spyder Garage

Mike did you get this from the factory or discover it yourself? I have been lucky so far and hope I will never have to try this. It is an interesting concept though.

Has anyone heard how Bob Denman is doing?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ..... Has anyone heard how Bob Denman is doing?

Jack
    That's just a bit off topic Jack but the latest news is here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...e-w-Bob-Denman
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Mike did you get this from the factory or discover it yourself? I have been lucky so far and hope I will never have to try this. It is an interesting concept though.

Has anyone heard how Bob Denman is doing?

Jack
    What Mike are you referring to ???? ...…… ( Mike aka BLUEKNIGHT911 )???? ………...…… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    i found on mine when it quit for good i could raise the antenna and it would start every time, you can turn the ring under the key with pliars and pull it off and pry the antenna up higher without removing anything, and without damaging anything if you're careful, i had to get my antenna so high to start it you couldn't leave it that way though. just something to get you home.
    Hi Bill,
    I got the key ring off easy enough ( just a 1/8 turn to the left and it comes right off) BUT---- is the antenna the silvery ring around the opening for the key?????? and how did you pry it up????

Thanks, Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The antenna is a black ring around the key switch and can have resistance when trying to move it. There are also a couple of tabs that it seats into around the ignition switch.

Spyder Garage

go to thread " Comfort Impossible for a RSS? "in post 25 the left pic of switch the antenna is the ring on the botttom of the pic that has a wire going to it, you can see the tabs on it and the knobs it slides down over, the top ring that turns holds it on