Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question

OK Bill,

Looks like I can pry upwards using the thin ,vertical slots. Do you think the DESS problem is caused by too strong a signal ( as some have said ) or by too WEAK a signal?????? ( which raising the antenna would solve.) Just wish I could shut off the DESS system completely.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

i think too weak, on mine i could pry it up a little and when you turn the key just the ba of bad key error would come up then the mode scroll stuff that normally comes up, if i pulled it almost to the key head it would start normally, so obviously it needed a stronger signal, i am still going to get it turned off if i ever find someone close to do it, i was thinking if i had it to do over i would just put the new module in and plug in the new antenna{it plugs to module}, and run the antenna wire out in to the frunk, tape it around my extra key head, find a way to secure it and leave it that way, leave the old antenna on the switch un hooked, then you could start it with any key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    i found on mine when it quit for good i could raise the antenna and it would start every time, you can turn the ring under the key with pliars and pull it off and pry the antenna up higher without removing anything, and without damaging anything if you're careful, i had to get my antenna so high to start it you couldn't leave it that way though. just something to get you home.
    That's interesting, what year bike have you got?
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Hi Bill,

After removing the plastic cover and seeing how to raise the antenna---- I looked again at the plastic cover. A few moments with the trusty Dremel tool and I could open the notch to allow the antenna to be raised 1/8 to 3/16" and still have the key fully functional. I'll give it a try today.

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Bill,

After removing the plastic cover and seeing how to raise the antenna---- I looked again at the plastic cover. A few moments with the trusty Dremel tool and I could open the notch to allow the antenna to be raised 1/8 to 3/16" and still have the key fully functional. I'll give it a try today.

Lew L
    im not sure what you are saying , you should be able to pull the antenna all the way up till it hits the key head without grinding anything. it just sits down on the switch, nothing holds it on but the trim ring you turn to pull off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    That's interesting, what year bike have you got?
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

im not sure what you are saying , you should be able to pull the antenna all the way up till it hits the key head without grinding anything. it just sits down on the switch, nothing holds it on but the trim ring you turn to pull off.
    I milled out a bit of the "L" shaped notch that holds the key trim ring down. ( not the antenna) Then put with the antenna up as far as it would go ( without serious pulling) , I put the trim ring back on, pushing the antenna down a bit. probably raised it only 1/8th" . This was more of an experiment and not a fix.

A new antenna can be purchased right??? Pulling the Frunk and relocating the DESS module ( a replacement module) would be good------ disabling the DESS would be better .
    Lew L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    I milled out a bit of the "L" shaped notch that holds the key trim ring down. ( not the antenna) Then put with the antenna up as far as it would go ( without serious pulling) , I put the trim ring back on, pushing the antenna down a bit. probably raised it only 1/8th" . This was more of an experiment and not a fix.

A new antenna can be purchased right??? Pulling the Frunk and relocating the DESS module ( a replacement module) would be good------ disabling the DESS would be better .
    Lew L
    i see now what you're saying, i had to raise my antenna so far to get it to work every time the key would push it down when you un-lock the frunk so it wasn't usable like that, i got the module and antenna for 168.00, module was like 128.00 and rest antenna. module alone might fix it but i wanted to make sure the first time by changing both.

Spyder Garage

If you replace the DESS module and the antenna do the keys need to be re programmed?

Thank you

Roger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No. Keys are stored in the ECM

Spyder Garage

Thank you !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petew View Post
    New one is on order ,should have it this week. When I do the install I will relocate it as BlueKnight911 did . Also plan to buy a back up and keep it with me if I travel.
    Keep us posted on.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pictreed View Post
    I'm going to get in on this so it's easier to locate later because we had this error the first time we brought our 2014 home but thought it was low battery. Maybe I should relocate as others suggested and keep a spare module with me?

Tim
    Tim,

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and I had the D.E.S.S module replaced twice( in 2015 ). I also started a tread "D.E.S.S KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a very long thread. The thread has a lot of great info. about the D.E.S.S. Module/and the switch. Be sure that your dealership has the D.E.S.S module in before you drop off your spyder. ( then you are not down for any riding time).

Since 2015 I have not had the D.E.S.S. error show up.

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Uh oh after 45000 + miles the big D got me
    I had 2 issues at spyderquest 1st one just showed the key symbol and started after a few minutes. The 2nd time was after closing that showed DESS have to call dealer tomorrow my extended warranty ends in oct.(thank you Deanna for the tips you gave me at GEL.)
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    Uh oh after 45000 + miles the big D got me
    I had 2 issues at spyderquest 1st one just showed the key symbol and started after a few minutes. The 2nd time was after closing that showed DESS have to call dealer tomorrow my extended warranty ends in oct.(thank you Deanna for the tips you gave me at GEL.)

You are very welcome for D.E.S.S suggestion/tips that I gave you at GEL. Keep me posted on what happens at your dealership. I am glad that I could help you.

Did you get the "D.E.S.S error again you left GEL today?

Did you get to your destination safe( home)?

Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    From what I've read on the DESS issue, yes they started with the 14 model …. BRP changed them 3 times, trying to FIX it …. the last version seems to have worked ( for the most part ) …. however they still have failures at least thru 2017 model ….. as I told you in a PM , a few folks here have the BUDS program that will cancel / eliminate the DESS module..... I have not heard of a DEALER that will do it …… If your Spyder is out of warranty - the module costs around $ 135.00 ( cheapcycleparts.com ) and can be changed by most DIY'ers …. the module is located behind the frunk - bolted to the firewall just above the Battery …. it unplugs ( two ) …. As I told you ( in PM ) I then put mine under the right headlight ( the wires will reach that area ) and you will have instant access to the module and plugs...…. IF you have seen the " ORANGE " screen of death , your Module is now in failure mode and will eventually DIE, ……. Mike
    Hi Mike, does the frunk have to come off to unplug the dess wires to move over?
    Thanks Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    Hi Mike, does the frunk have to come off to unplug the dess wires to move over?
    Thanks Leon
    YES, I have pics in my albums that will show you where it is... ( hidden under the frunk backwall plastic ). And a pic of where I moved mine to ….. The wires are long enough to reach ( must cut plastic wire ties to get slack ) without splicing. If you put it somewhere else this may be an issue...… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YES, I have pics in my albums that will show you where it is... ( hidden under the frunk backwall plastic ). And a pic of where I moved mine to ….. The wires are long enough to reach ( must cut plastic wire ties to get slack ) without splicing. If you put it somewhere else this may be an issue...… Mike
    The antenna wire is long enough, without back pulling the cable??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The antenna wire is long enough, without back pulling the cable??
    ????... He's asking about the DESS module ….. this doesn't involve the Antennae …. at least it didn't on mine …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

????... He's asking about the DESS module ….. this doesn't involve the Antennae …. at least it didn't on mine …… Mike
    But the antenna plugs into the DESS MOdule. Two connectors on the module.

Spyder Garage

But the antenna plugs into the DESS MOdule. Two connectors on the module.
    top connector on the dess module is antenna wire, mine had a big loop of extra wire at the module, rs frunk is very easy to remove, don't know on yours
    2015 rs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

top connector on the dess module is antenna wire, mine had a big loop of extra wire at the module, rs frunk is very easy to remove, don't know on yours
    Mine was tucked up in the front tube of the bike, dont think it would reach into that area where Mike put his without back pulling the antenna wire.

Spyder Garage

Mine was tucked up in the front tube of the bike, dont think it would reach into that area where Mike put his without back pulling the antenna wire.
    Yes, ? … When I moved my DESS module ...my only concern was would the OEM wiring reach where I wanted to put it, Without splicing to get it to reach ….. Honestly I didn't care what the wires were connected to or what they did to the module …. my motto is " KISS ", I try not to overthink things ….. my mind is already over-loaded …...hope this helps ………. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    You are very welcome for D.E.S.S suggestion/tips that I gave you at GEL. Keep me posted on what happens at your dealership. I am glad that I could help you.

Did you get the "D.E.S.S error again you left GEL today?

Did you get to your destination safe( home)?

Deanna
    yes I did get the D.E.S.S. again after the closing at the 6 flags. it took about 20 minutes to get it started and when it did I put it right in the trailer. I trailered it because I didn`t want to get stranded on the way there or back.
    My dealer said the have to check it out and try to duplicate it before they can put in a claim and they never heard of the problem so I`m kinda weary about that. they can`t take it in till oct.1 so I think I`ll look around in the mean time................ I was wondering if the D.E.S.S. warning came up on the screen will that show up on BUDS?
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Mike I`ll check it out if the dealer doesn`t get it fixed .
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND