Spyder Garage

Question What's the best Rear Tire for my 2015 RT Ltd?

Since I know this is the best place to get a good answer.....here's my question.
    I need a rear tire and I am wondering what is the best one people are finding out there.
    Thanks in advance!!

Lisa

Spyder Garage

With shortages and scarcity, black and round is good. The General, Yokohama, etc are in many threads. Type in the size, and see what is available. Then choose.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lisa, there are already threads with different opinions

Do you want "best" for
    Snow
    Ice
    Mud
    Rain
    Dry traction
    Durability/mileage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ire-on-your-RT
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Lisa, there are already threads with different opinions

Do you want "best" for
    Snow
    Ice
    Mud
    Rain
    Dry traction
    Durability/mileage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ire-on-your-RT
    Using that LINK .... the post was in 2017 Aug of ..... 2017 ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
    Since I know this is the best place to get a good answer.....here's my question.
    I need a rear tire and I am wondering what is the best one people are finding out there.
    Thanks in advance!!

Lisa
    Before you buy a tire .... find out who is going to do the changing .... It matters .... lots of dealers won't do it unless they use a KENDA tire .... and frankly they are JUNK! The Vredestein 205-60 or 65 - 15 is either #1 or #2 ( best ) ... also the new Michelin Cross Climate are highly recommended. However, they are all Auto tires and most dealers won't touch them ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-23-2022 at 11:11 PM. Reason: won'\t ;-)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires Tires and More

Thanks in advance!!

Lisa
    Who is going to do your Tires? As most Spyder Dealers will only install the OEM TIRES. IF you have someone else that will install the tires then you will have other options.

Just let us know, so we can help you out with other tires.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The General Altimax RT43 is a good mild weather tire with long tread life.
    The Vredestein Quattro is the way to go for colder/wetter conditions and better traction with a small sacrifice in tread life.
    (Based purely on my personal experience)

Many other tires are out there that fit and I'm sure someone will offer those as options but ANY car tire will be better than OEM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The General Altimax RT43 is a good mild weather tire with long tread life.
    The Vredestein Quattro is the way to go for colder/wetter conditions and better traction with a small sacrifice in tread life.
    (Based purely on my personal experience)

Many other tires are out there that fit and I'm sure someone will offer those as options but ANY car tire will be better than OEM.
    the Vredestein'\s cold weather abilities is certainly a plus ..... however, it's regular temp. ratings are at the top of any tire we can use ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The correct link for tire info is https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Spyder-Details
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Honestly I am looking for a tire more for comfort since I ride a lot. Something that's good in pretty much every condition/ temp except snow. Early spring mornings can be quite chilly, but I've also ridden in huge down pours and 100 degrees. So what I'm looking for is recommendations and sizes.
    Thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

Honestly I am looking for a tire more for comfort since I ride a lot. Something that's good in pretty much every condition/ temp except snow. Early spring mornings can be quite chilly, but I've also ridden in huge down pours and 100 degrees. So what I'm looking for is recommendations and sizes.
    Thanks!!!

For the rear, you might want to consider a 205/60R15 in any good quality & well known brand of 'All Season' car tire that takes your fancy - the often mentioned Vredesteins seem to do very well over your way. The stronger sidewalls & load specs of most car tires will allow (require!??) you to run lower pressure in that tire (16-18 psi, maybe 20 psi if you're reeeeally heavy/heavily loaded/towing! ) than you'd need/is specified for the lightweight Kendas &/or any of their clones in order to maximise traction & wet weather grip, and by running those sorts of pressures you will also improve ride comfort, tire life/even tread wear, and resistance to punctures from road hazards/debris.

You might need to run a pressure at the lower end of the scale on wet roads to maximise traction & hydro-plane resistance; and at the higher end of the scale in hot weather/on hot roads to avoid over-heating the tire; but very few Spyders/Spyder Ryders generally need anything much more than 16-18 psi in car tires with their higher strength & load specs in order to optimise all those things mentioned and get better performance, ride, handling, and tire life than you generally can from a Kenda/Kenda clone; with the smaller/narrower front tires up front swapped for car tires in the 165/50R15 to 175/60R15 range generally only needing about 18 psi to achieve the same ends.

I'm currently running a 205/60R15 Michelin All Season Tire very successfully on the rear of my Spyder in much the same range of conditions you mentioned above; paying attention to the pressure variations for conditions that I mentioned of course! But it is very hard to get Vredesteins here in Oz, and almost as hard to get any of the 'other' performance tires some prefer over your way once I leave the 'settled areas' - which is fairly often! . I've done well over 30,000 km on that Michelin, & it still looks so good I am beginning to think that I might hafta eventually retire it due to excessive age before I'll ever wear it out!

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-07-2022 at 01:04 AM. Reason: siports?? :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks!!!
    Since you specifically mentioned " quite chilly " .... the new Vredestein was MADE for you - period ..... Peter always says it Best, I say the same things only use a lot fewer words .... because I'm a lousy typist ..... back over to you Peter ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Amazon has the General Altimax RT43 215/60/15

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    Amazon has the General Altimax RT43 215/60/15
    ...For the money the 'Altima' will be a great tire for your Spyder.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

If you go with a car tire and you want the same size as OEM, this Kumho might fit the bill:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

If I wanted to replace my OEM tire on my 2019 FS-3 the Vredestein Quatrac 205/60/R15 is the correct size to order?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JABPA View Post
    If I wanted to replace my OEM tire on my 2019 FS-3 the Vredestein Quatrac 205/60/R15 is the correct size to order?
    Yes - Or the 205/65-15 fits equally ..... if you can't get the " 60 " series tire ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, ordered the Quatrac 205/60/R15.