Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Spyder Garage

Pictures:
    E51D8249-B32B-47DD-83C4-5BCDE11DA69C.jpg5BF7C23B-F424-49F4-820E-06E80191E9BE.jpg9D5501B9-BE83-4790-A9CC-F5913C097DAA.jpg

Picture 1 is where it is, picture 2 is snorkel on right, picture 3 is the DESS module. We took the headlights out, but you don’t have to. Just happened to swap in LED bulbs. Fog lights are much easier this way! Joe
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hey BlueKnight,

Have had a severe DESS problem and before got it turned off the Spyder shut down under power, had to trailer it home. Checked fuel system, filter etc., as it felt like a fuel problem. It turns fine but won’t fire. Only thing I’ve notices different is, I have not gotten any more DESS error messages, with multiple tries at restarts. Doesn’t want to fire. Feel as though maybe DESS finally gave it up completely and is holding me hostage. Do you know how I can expect the 2014 Spyder RT to behave when the DESS module goes completely belly up? Have someone later this spring to turn it off. Now with it maybe gone completely do you know if my MEGATECH friend be able to access it and shut it down, maybe clear it to run again?
    Thanks!
    Sparky2014

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2014 View Post
    Have had a severe DESS problem and before got it turned off the Spyder shut down under power,
    The engine shutting down under power is not a DESS problem. Once the engine starts cranking over the DESS has no input into its operation. In fact, when the DESS is active you can start the engine with a non-chip key in the ignition with a chip key next to it. Once the engine has started you can take away the chip key and everything operates normally until the next time you need to start it. Let me reiterate. Your engine not firing is NOT a DESS related problem.

Edit: I need to change my comment about taking the chip key away. As soon as the normal display comes up on the screen you can take the chip key away even before you start the engine. As long as the ignition is not turned off the chip key is not needed to keep running. You can turn the engine off with the kill switch and restart it. All the DESS does is tells the ECM a valid key has been presented to the system. Everything is golden after that.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-11-2022 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added the last paragraph.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

i just put the lastest d.e.s.s module on my 14 rt , so far all's good

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey BlueKnight,

Have had a severe DESS problem and before got it turned off the Spyder shut down under power, had to trailer it home. Checked fuel system, filter etc., as it felt like a fuel problem. It turns fine but won’t fire. Only thing I’ve notices different is, I have not gotten any more DESS error messages, with multiple tries at restarts. Doesn’t want to fire. Feel as though maybe DESS finally gave it up completely and is holding me hostage. Do you know how I can expect the 2014 Spyder RT to behave when the DESS module goes completely belly up? Have someone later this spring to turn it off. Now with it maybe gone completely do you know if my MEGATECH friend be able to access it and shut it down, maybe clear it to run again?
    Thanks!
    Sparky2014
    Hey Sparky, From everything I've read in this Forum ( and it's EVERY post / thread ) If you have a DESS module failure, it will Display "DESS Failure " on an ORANGE screen. As IMS said it doesn't sound like your big issue is the DESS module..( maybe not at all ) .. Diagnosing is difficult using this Keyboard. ..... I hope you get it worked out ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-12-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey BlueKnight,

Thanks!
    Sparky2014
    I PM'd you on this .... however for others ... my understanding of the DESS module , is that it's only Active during the START procedure . Once the Bike is running it does not occur ..... When My DESS was Failing ( on a ride during Spyderfest 2015 ) ... I got the " orange screen of Death " ... three times .... But this occurred while I was trying to START the Spyder ( after stopping ) .... and didn't occur again until I stopped and shut the motor off.... Luckily for me I was able to clear the Death code and got it back to" Pitbull "....Then the BRP Tech's changed out the module ( only that, not the ignition switch ) ...... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-12-2022 at 02:22 PM.