Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Continuing DESS Issue?

Hi, been reading ours an hours of threads regarding the DESS and key Error problems. Is this an issue still continuing? I have a 2014 spider and it appears these issues started then. Can I be comfortable buying a brand new spider that I will not have this issue?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by w6ada View Post
    Hi, been reading ours an hours of threads regarding the DESS and key Error problems. Is this an issue still continuing? I have a 2014 spider and it appears these issues started then. Can I be comfortable buying a brand new spider that I will not have this issue?
    From what I've read on the DESS issue, yes they started with the 14 model …. BRP changed them 3 times, trying to FIX it …. the last version seems to have worked ( for the most part ) …. however they still have failures at least thru 2017 model ….. as I told you in a PM , a few folks here have the BUDS program that will cancel / eliminate the DESS module..... I have not heard of a DEALER that will do it …… If your Spyder is out of warranty - the module costs around $ 135.00 ( cheapcycleparts.com ) and can be changed by most DIY'ers …. the module is located behind the frunk - bolted to the firewall just above the Battery …. it unplugs ( two ) …. As I told you ( in PM ) I then put mine under the right headlight ( the wires will reach that area ) and you will have instant access to the module and plugs...…. IF you have seen the " ORANGE " screen of death , your Module is now in failure mode and will eventually DIE, ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default New or used....

The new models sold should all have been updated. If you look into a used model always a good idea to have the dealer check the vin# and see if all updates have been made. We see very little here as of late but we only see those that post here and there are many more out there. I would not let this keep you from getting one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes well I am at the screen of death. I needed a post in order to be able to PM you. Personal message come in later today. Thanks for all your help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    From what I've read on the DESS issue, yes they started with the 14 model …. BRP changed them 3 times, trying to FIX it …. the last version seems to have worked ( for the most part ) …. however they still have failures at least thru 2017 model ….. as I told you in a PM , a few folks here have the BUDS program that will cancel / eliminate the DESS module..... I have not heard of a DEALER that will do it …… If your Spyder is out of warranty - the module costs around $ 135.00 ( cheapcycleparts.com ) and can be changed by most DIY'ers …. the module is located behind the frunk - bolted to the firewall just above the Battery …. it unplugs ( two ) …. As I told you ( in PM ) I then put mine under the right headlight ( the wires will reach that area ) and you will have instant access to the module and plugs...…. IF you have seen the " ORANGE " screen of death , your Module is now in failure mode and will eventually DIE, ……. Mike
    Hi Mike, does the frunk have to come off to unplug the dess wires to move over?
    Thanks Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    Hi Mike, does the frunk have to come off to unplug the dess wires to move over?
    Thanks Leon
    YES, I have pics in my albums that will show you where it is... ( hidden under the frunk backwall plastic ). And a pic of where I moved mine to ….. The wires are long enough to reach ( must cut plastic wire ties to get slack ) without splicing. If you put it somewhere else this may be an issue...… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    YES, I have pics in my albums that will show you where it is... ( hidden under the frunk backwall plastic ). And a pic of where I moved mine to ….. The wires are long enough to reach ( must cut plastic wire ties to get slack ) without splicing. If you put it somewhere else this may be an issue...… Mike
    The antenna wire is long enough, without back pulling the cable??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The antenna wire is long enough, without back pulling the cable??
    ????... He's asking about the DESS module ….. this doesn't involve the Antennae …. at least it didn't on mine …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Mike I`ll check it out if the dealer doesn`t get it fixed .
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Had reoccurring DESS warning, then last fall it completely shut down under power. Now it turns over but won’t fire. DESS has not reappeared in all my attempts to restart, feel like it might have completely died. Any idea what to expect when the DESS mod goes completely belly up? Changed gas filter and checked fuel flow, thought it might be a fuel problem, but seems ok. Even changed fuel out just in case, didn’t make a difference. DESS message should have shown by now and hasn’t, it was very frequent .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2014 View Post
    Mike,
    Had reoccurring DESS warning, then last fall it completely shut down under power. Now it turns over but won’t fire. DESS has not reappeared in all my attempts to restart, feel like it might have completely died. Any idea what to expect when the DESS mod goes completely belly up? Changed gas filter and checked fuel flow, thought it might be a fuel problem, but seems ok. Even changed fuel out just in case, didn’t make a difference. DESS message should have shown by now and hasn’t, it was very frequent .
    The WHY the DESS message is not showing is a mystery to me also. ... What I do know is .... the computer cannot fix itself ..... The DESS module USUALLY doesn't stop working entirely the first time it appears ( but it can ). .... When mine failed at Spyderfest 2015 I was leading a ride and about 125 mi. from Springfield.... I was not very familiar with this issue but got REALLY lucky, Two warnings later I was back in Springfield near " PitBull " when it failed again ( #3 ). After a phone call, I got it re-started and to the Dealer... BRP Techs can armed with quite a number of Modules and I got one of them ..... Mike ..... I have read EVERY thread that had anything to do with the DESS issue ..... What I learned is BRP -CHANGED the module in 2014 and that's when it became an issue .... were there more than one vendor supplying them ??? .... it continued into 2015 .... then slowed down in 2016 ...... not many in 17,18 and I don't remember it being an issue beyond then ..... It's easy to re-place - ( about #140.00 ) once you get the Frunk off .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-07-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Had reoccurring DESS warning, then last fall it completely shut down under power. Now it turns over but won’t fire.
    If it cranks, it is not a DESS problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I believe they have it worked out, or I wouldn't have traded my 2014
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Wait ... what?!?

New to the Spyder community. What is this "DESS"? And what is this "Orange Death Screen". Mine is a 2015 RTL. What's all this about please.

Thanks in advance!
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    New to the Spyder community. What is this "DESS"? And what is this "Orange Death Screen". Mine is a 2015 RTL. What's all this about please.

Thanks in advance!
    Well there about 500 or so posts on this …. But read my post above #2, it tells you how to fix it , which is the most important thing ……. The DESS module is part of the BRP - KEY security system ….. If the module fails ( and they were having lots of them do so ) you won't be able to start your Spyder …. Generally , it gives a few / some …. SEMI- failures before it dies …. there is no cure other than module re-placement , If you have a warranty still in effect they will cover if not ( read above post #2 . )….. the Back History is this 10 thru 13 RT's had a different DESS module, then one of the BRP engineers decided it NEEDED fixing ….. well He/ She/ It broke the damn thing …. Now the DESS is a problem …. I hope they fired that SOB ……. good luck ……...PS if you get the " Orange screen of Death " ….. first move the spyder away from where you stopped ( if possible ) 20 ft should work ….. then turn the ignition switch ON - OFF 5X's in succession quickly, remove Key for about one minute, then try and start it ….. repeat as needed …. This worked for me when mine failed ( and nothing else I tried worked )

Spyder Garage

Mike did you get this from the factory or discover it yourself? I have been lucky so far and hope I will never have to try this. It is an interesting concept though.

Has anyone heard how Bob Denman is doing?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ..... Has anyone heard how Bob Denman is doing?

Jack
    That's just a bit off topic Jack but the latest news is here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...e-w-Bob-Denman
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Mike did you get this from the factory or discover it yourself? I have been lucky so far and hope I will never have to try this. It is an interesting concept though.

Has anyone heard how Bob Denman is doing?

Jack
    What Mike are you referring to ???? ...…… ( Mike aka BLUEKNIGHT911 )???? ………...…… Mike

Spyder Garage

Hey BlueKnight,

Have had a severe DESS problem and before got it turned off the Spyder shut down under power, had to trailer it home. Checked fuel system, filter etc., as it felt like a fuel problem. It turns fine but won’t fire. Only thing I’ve notices different is, I have not gotten any more DESS error messages, with multiple tries at restarts. Doesn’t want to fire. Feel as though maybe DESS finally gave it up completely and is holding me hostage. Do you know how I can expect the 2014 Spyder RT to behave when the DESS module goes completely belly up? Have someone later this spring to turn it off. Now with it maybe gone completely do you know if my MEGATECH friend be able to access it and shut it down, maybe clear it to run again?
    Thanks!
    Sparky2014

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have had a severe DESS problem and before got it turned off the Spyder shut down under power,
    The engine shutting down under power is not a DESS problem. Once the engine starts cranking over the DESS has no input into its operation. In fact, when the DESS is active you can start the engine with a non-chip key in the ignition with a chip key next to it. Once the engine has started you can take away the chip key and everything operates normally until the next time you need to start it. Let me reiterate. Your engine not firing is NOT a DESS related problem.

Edit: I need to change my comment about taking the chip key away. As soon as the normal display comes up on the screen you can take the chip key away even before you start the engine. As long as the ignition is not turned off the chip key is not needed to keep running. You can turn the engine off with the kill switch and restart it. All the DESS does is tells the ECM a valid key has been presented to the system. Everything is golden after that.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-11-2022 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added the last paragraph.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hey BlueKnight,

Have had a severe DESS problem and before got it turned off the Spyder shut down under power, had to trailer it home. Checked fuel system, filter etc., as it felt like a fuel problem. It turns fine but won’t fire. Only thing I’ve notices different is, I have not gotten any more DESS error messages, with multiple tries at restarts. Doesn’t want to fire. Feel as though maybe DESS finally gave it up completely and is holding me hostage. Do you know how I can expect the 2014 Spyder RT to behave when the DESS module goes completely belly up? Have someone later this spring to turn it off. Now with it maybe gone completely do you know if my MEGATECH friend be able to access it and shut it down, maybe clear it to run again?
    Thanks!
    Sparky2014
    Hey Sparky, From everything I've read in this Forum ( and it's EVERY post / thread ) If you have a DESS module failure, it will Display "DESS Failure " on an ORANGE screen. As IMS said it doesn't sound like your big issue is the DESS module..( maybe not at all ) .. Diagnosing is difficult using this Keyboard. ..... I hope you get it worked out ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-12-2022 at 12:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hey BlueKnight,

Thanks!
    Sparky2014
    I PM'd you on this .... however for others ... my understanding of the DESS module , is that it's only Active during the START procedure . Once the Bike is running it does not occur ..... When My DESS was Failing ( on a ride during Spyderfest 2015 ) ... I got the " orange screen of Death " ... three times .... But this occurred while I was trying to START the Spyder ( after stopping ) .... and didn't occur again until I stopped and shut the motor off.... Luckily for me I was able to clear the Death code and got it back to" Pitbull "....Then the BRP Tech's changed out the module ( only that, not the ignition switch ) ...... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-12-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

Thanks in advance!
    HI,

D.E.S.S stands for Digially encoded Security System.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE 6 and I have had the D.E.S.S module replaced 2 twice in 2015 ( under the warranty,) and the Switch( in 2015) replaced once( under warranty).

I also started a thread " D.E.S.S KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 8/13/2015 Replies 736 & 149,647 Views & 30 pages long. The thread has some very helpful info. Since I have had the D.E.S.S module , I have not had the D.E.S.S error show up. Also I have 24,900 miles on my spyder. On the "Thread" I posted pictures of the Orange Screen, when you get a chance take a look at the thread.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had my 2014 RT in the dealers shop 6 weeks last Summer. They said they could not duplicate the problem (DESS Error). Module has the "latest and greatest" installed. I've had 6 more DESS errors since I got the bike back. I just wait about 15 minutes - go back and it starts up. So not a big issue any more. Now I have a "Check Engine Light" that is on all the time plus the cooling fans starts when I start the bike (cold start) and cycles on/off as I ride. Bike is otherwise okay. I don't ride it much any more.
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    Had my 2014 RT in the dealers shop 6 weeks last Summer. They said they could not duplicate the problem (DESS Error). Module has the "latest and greatest" installed. I've had 6 more DESS errors since I got the bike back. I just wait about 15 minutes - go back and it starts up. So not a big issue any more. Now I have a "Check Engine Light" that is on all the time plus the cooling fans starts when I start the bike (cold start) and cycles on/off as I ride. Bike is otherwise okay. I don't ride it much any more.
    What is your D.E.S.S module part #?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD