Spyder Garage

Default Would Welcome Some Tire Advice!

Well, my Can Am Dealer has told me the wheels will fall off my F3 causing my crash if I don’t have OEM Kenda’s installed (quoted $675 for the set installed. They will only mount Kenda’s). But when I read the boards I hear a different story (if it is on the Internet it must be true!?!) saying there are much better alternatives for the Spyder and the Kenda’s are average at best.
    I am about ready to head to Zanesville OH SE Ohio Spyder Event where Natzy’s Tire will be present. My plan is to first get a laser alignment and then possibly a new set of tires.

Here are the facts:
    • Vehicle: 2016 F3-T
    • Mileage: 10K
    • Rider: 210 lbs.
    • Seldom if ever ride 2-up
    • Tow a Mini-Mate Camper with a Can-Am hitch. Camper weight 265 lbs. Tongue weight 25 lbs.
    • Only ride the slab when I have too or it makes some sense.
    • Local riding is Northern KY is twisties galore.
    • I am a reasonably aggressive rider when I am not towing.
    • I prefer handling and grip over high mileage. Safety and traction are paramount.
    • Ride 12K plus per year.

I am getting ready for an extended bucket list trip from KY to Colorado and Utah end of August of around 7-8,000 miles. Here is where I need some advice and would welcome your suggestions?
    1. What can I expect the difference to be going from OEM Kenda’s to car tires in ride quality and handling?
    2. What brand combination of front and rear would you recommend given my profile?
    3. Will moving away from OEM Kenda’s to car tires effect the remaining year of my factory warranty?
    Fire away and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    KYRider (Ken)
    Northern KY
    '16 Can Am Spyder F3-T
    2016 F3-T , White

Spyder Garage

I won't recommend any tire brand because there are many that work very well and I'll leave that decision to your personal preference. I will tell you my experience with my RT. I took a trip with 2500 miles on the bike. During this trip I encountered a heavy rain for several hours. The bike did well on level ground, but as soon as I started up the slightest grade the rear Kenda would lose traction. If I increased throttle the tire would lose traction. Worst case of hydroplaning I've ever encountered. The fronts did well. At 7000 miles the rear was worn out. Since I had to replace the rear I just did all three wheels at once. General Altimax in the rear at 22 PSI. Federal Formosa on the front at 18 PSI. I have had these tires now for 20,000 miles and it was the best thing I could have done as far as handling and foul weather riding. I never activated the nanny system with the Kendas. I activate it quite frequently with these tires because the handling is so much better and I find myself going into curves much faster and the bike feels so much more stable. Wet weather riding is no problem, even in very heavy rain. Common sense is still required and you need to slow down a bit in bad conditions. 95% of my riding on the RT is two up, no trailer, and we ride rather aggressively at times. Quality of ride and handling will be much improved although you may have to tinker with the PSI to find the perfect spot for you. As I stated I like 22 rear and 18 front. Some like less and some like a bit more. I like the General and Federal combo, but others will chime in as to their favorite combo. The choices are many and all better than Kenda. Tire choice should have nothing to do with warranty, my dealer will mount any tire you bring him. I am but one of many who are very satisfied after making the switch. Oh yeah, I have a bit less than $200 in ALL THREE tires. I got the tires online and did the work myself as I help out at my friends independent motorcycle shop and have use of the equipment. I think you will be very pleased when/if you make the switch.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a large shovel ??? … because your dealer has thrown a HUGH amount of Horse S*hit on you …. #1. - if that dealer actually believes that about Kenda's, run from them because they are STUPID … or #2. they are just plain LYING to you, either way they are dangerous people ….. I know the Netzely's very weel they are top notch , and if you contact them they can get you most any tire you want ….. I recommend the new Vredestein Quatrac 5 in OEM size …… it's the best spyder currently sold today ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

bs-meter1.gif

Sad, sad, sad. Why not respect the customer enough to give them the truth. Don't insult our intelligence with something that is so easily refuted.

For me it is a 100% No-Brainer! Get an appropriate car tire and never look back. I know some have mounting issues and I am sorry for that. But if at all possible, go car tire.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The price they quoted you should be an EXCELLENT clue as to why they have the policy that they have.

I recently got a new set of 3 tires mounted for a total cost of about $450.
    They are NOT Kenda's.

But it was done by my local Spyder dealer.......which surprised me.

P.S. What that dealer told you is actually AGAINST THE LAW in the US.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KYRider View Post
    Well, my Can Am Dealer has told me the wheels will fall off my F3 causing my crash if I don’t have OEM Kenda’s installed (quoted $675 for the set installed.
    I only paid $160 more than that and bought a set of 3 (very good) car tires, a manual tire installing machine, and a Marc Parns static balancer shaft. If you have the ability to do it yourself you can save an awful lot of money! Read the hundreds of tire threads, a very few tire size combinations and brands pop out. I chose the 175/55R15 front and 205/60R15 rear combination. This setup halfway corrected the speedometer error, I'm 1 MPH off at 70 MPH. I'm running 15 PSI front and 16 PSI rear. I'm absolutely not telling you what to run, just saying what I do. If you follow my advice, you do it at your own peril. Just remember that certain tires come in favor, and later fall out of favor once long term mileage has been reported on. A tire that got good reviews 5-10 years ago, and is still getting good reviews will be a good tire.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

You have stirred up a nest this time.... no end to the information on tires here and all well tested. I myself use Kendas and they have always worked well for me and they are easy to find as no one here buys them. Will not comment or recommend but will comment on the dealer you went to. Most dealers must have been told not to install anything but Kendas and for a long time it was true for all of them. Some have started and probably add a note as to customer supplied tires installed no warranty or garantee of any kind. Now for them to threaten you with stupid suggestions of any kind for not using them at this point is really sad. A simple we are not allowed to install them would suffice...Now go shopping ....and good luck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will only tell you what works for me on our 2016 F3L. Front tires in the stock size Federal Formoza AZ01 at 20psi so far for 9,000 miles. On the rear I have a General Altimax RT43 215/60R15 size at 22psi so far for 19,000 miles. Bike is ridden 1 up.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Whew !! you must understand that there as many tires as Carter's has pills, and by looking at posts here,
    that the subject has been beaten to death, (over and over). Which is why unless the post has
    Revolutionary and Tire together in the title, lots of us (I think) and me included, just let it go, and may
    not even read. But most any car tire setup will outlast the OEM rubber.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    A simple we are not allowed to install them would suffice...
    And that would be a LIE......unless they mean the owner of the dealership won't allow it.

What would you think if you took your Malibu in for new tires........and the dealer said there is only one brand and style that they are "allowed" to install ??
    And that tire just happened to sell for 3X what others do ???

Spyder Garage
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I'm happy with the Khumo ECSTA AST 225/50R15 H rated that I put on recently. Another ryder had some criticism on it but my experience is precisely the opposite of that person's. Holds the road. I cannot burn out anymore. Curves like it's on rails. Running 24PSI cold. Cushy on the bumps. I will be putting it on again.

Still have the supplied KENDA fronts. I found an independent shop here in Taylors SC to get the Kumho mounted s like you, my dealer in Greenville SC would not mount it.

https://www.cyclespecialtiesperformance.com/
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey