Spyder Garage

Default Mountain Switchbacks - be careful

Decided to take a ride up to the peak of Sandia Mountain on the spyder. This was following a short cloud burst, which I had figured would pass as they tend to do out here. Anyway, coming down the mountain I came across an ambulance, a pack of two-wheeler sport bikes, and the park ranger directing traffic around it all. It appeared to me a poor young fellow had a low-sider - half of these switchbacks are posted as low as 20mph. If you're coming down a mountain following a light rain, with some of the the salt-grit from last years ski season still on the shoulders, you have little margin for traction if overspeed. You don't want to be braking within the corners. Not too long ago I came down on my Road Star on a dry day and I needed to watch my speed so that I wouldn't go into the grit. It was exhilarating - but I do it often enough to keep my skills up. These poor kids probably didn't realize how marginal traction can get on a two-wheeler in extreme conditions. Stay safe. There are two kinds of bikers. There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers. There are no old, bold bikers, though.

Spyder Garage

Road strategy saves a lot of bacon.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is why you always have to pay attention...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    There are two kinds of bikers. There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers. There are no old, bold bikers, though.
    Ride with my dad, and he would challenge you to reconsider that statement. That 67 year old man tricks guys on sportbikes he comes upon to keep up with him in the twisties.

Spyder Garage

I think I'm faster in a sharp turning road on my than my V-Max. Given the Max isn't a corner carver ( more of a straight line rocket). I do " hang off" on the ---- not so much on the Max. Lots more rubber on the road with the so I will push it to nanny edge.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't seem to have anything to do with Spyders.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, Are you talking of the OP ( original post ) or the last post ( me ). As I mentioned 's 3 times and nanny once----- -----
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Pete, Are you talking of the OP ( original post ) or the last post ( me ). As I mentioned 's 3 times and nanny once----- -----
    Lew, I'm talking about the OP. I know you have tried to bring it back around to Spyders, but this was all about warning 2-wheelers about mountain driving.

NOT Spyders, which are not subject to the same issues.

I'm concerned that newbies to Spyders will think they have to still worry about such things, when they do NOT. At least not to the same degree as 2-wheelers.

This should be off-topic, I think, or made relevant to Spyders. Because if he's talking about Spyders then the OP deserves a LOT of push-back.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is why you always have to pay attention...
    Yes, but don't you think that is always true when riding or driving on the nation's roads?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

pete its in general discussion and hes talking about riding maybe you should ride more worry less about where topics are

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess you all answered my question. It is just me. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

What is this school? Geez

Spyder Garage

I knew that Spyder's had a nanny... I suppose to make the experience complete we have to have 'em on the forum as well?

I am the OP.

I was commenting about my mountain ride, on my Spyder, and what I observed. You can certainly flip a Spyder as well on those switchbacks, given the wrong speed and steering inputs and the wet and gritty pavement, although I didn't quite think it necessary to point out to make some supposed topicality posting metric...

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

It's all relative. Here in the desert southwest where it doesn't rain very often (seasonal though), the first 30 minutes after it starts raining can be very hazardous for 2-wheels, 3-wheels, AND 4-wheels. I see people sliding through intersections here in Las Vegas all the time right after it starts raining because all the weeks and sometimes months of accumulated road oils get floated to the surface and haven't gotten washed off the roads yet. Especially at intersections where cars get stopped and drip all kinds of slippery fluids onto the road. And even if the first car in line stops safely, they stand a real risk of getting rear-ended by the fools behind them. Being on a motorcycle at those times...2 or 3 wheels...can get you rear-ended dead if you aren't careful.

PS - There's nothing wrong with getting a continual education. Most endeavors worthwhile have "Refresher Training" associated with them. So even what I just posted above might help a rider who lives on the east coast but is making a road trip ride to the desert southwest. Better they get reminded of specific hazards riding in my geography before they get run over out here in the early rains.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    Decided to take a ride up to the peak of Sandia Mountain on the spyder. This was following a short cloud burst, which I had figured would pass as they tend to do out here. Anyway, coming down the mountain I came across an ambulance, a pack of two-wheeler sport bikes, and the park ranger directing traffic around it all. It appeared to me a poor young fellow had a low-sider - half of these switchbacks are posted as low as 20mph. If you're coming down a mountain following a light rain, with some of the the salt-grit from last years ski season still on the shoulders, you have little margin for traction if overspeed. You don't want to be braking within the corners. Not too long ago I came down on my Road Star on a dry day and I needed to watch my speed so that I wouldn't go into the grit. It was exhilarating - but I do it often enough to keep my skills up. These poor kids probably didn't realize how marginal traction can get on a two-wheeler in extreme conditions. Stay safe. There are two kinds of bikers. There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers. There are no old, bold bikers, though.
    Thanks! does not harm to get reminded now and again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yes, but don't you think that is always true when riding or driving on the nation's roads?
    Of course! But that doesn't mean that folks never forget the most obvious truths...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black