Spyder Garage

Default Weather radio channel?

Hello,

I just "discovered" that I do have indeed a weather radio on my recently acquired 2014 RT! I always only got static noise when I tried in the past, so I thought perhaps it was an optional feature that I did not have, but now I managed to get some, distorted sound from channel 3. The problem is that: 1. The sound is barely intelligible; and, 2) Channel 4 is the local NOAA channel, and it works on multiple other weather radios I have in the house, but I receive nothing on channel 4 on the Spyder.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven’t used that in a long time but I thought that when you select that band you can then change stations using the buttons that you change regular radio stations with.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the way that those Meteorologists lie to us: you just ain't missing much!
    (3 RTs, and nothing but static...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I haven’t used that in a long time but I thought that when you select that band you can then change stations using the buttons that you change regular radio stations with.
    Yes, I get that, but when I tune to Channel 4, which is the local NOAA channel, all I get is static, while in channel 3, where I should get nothing, I get some distorted voice....

Spyder Garage

Do you only have the AM/FM antenna hooked up to the bike? It might need the optional CB antenna that you may not have installed. Also some NOAA channels switch throughout the seasons due to interference from other frequencies. Additionally, like in my area of NY...NOAA goes silent until spring and summer then all channels become stronger signals. I’d check the NOAA website for any hints on the channels see if that could be it. But first I’d investigate to see if you have proper antenna installed on bike.

Hope that helps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFlyer76 View Post
    Do you only have the AM/FM antenna hooked up to the bike? It might need the optional CB antenna that you may not have installed. Also some NOAA channels switch throughout the seasons due to interference from other frequencies. Additionally, like in my area of NY...NOAA goes silent until spring and summer then all channels become stronger signals. I’d check the NOAA website for any hints on the channels see if that could be it. But first I’d investigate to see if you have proper antenna installed on bike.

Hope that helps
    I only have the AM/FM antenna. That is probably why, although it still does not explain the odd transposition of channels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gianfri View Post
    I only have the AM/FM antenna. That is probably why, although it still does not explain the odd transposition of channels.
    Well since i don't know your setup in your home and how you receive Channel 4...all I can say is without an antenna that can be a big factor. another thing could be line of site to the NOAA transmission. Simple things like trees or buildings could effect the reception of this signal. I wonder if you monitor it while riding around the neighborhood if the signal would get stronger for you. But again add the antenna would probably return a more positive result.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The weather radio on the Spyder is a function of the standard radio and antenna. It does not need the CB radio nor does it need the CB antenna. NOAA broadcasts are VHF FM. The antenna that comes installed on the Spyder is not the best, as far as being tuned for VHF, but it functions.

There is no FCC standard for channel assignment numbers for NOAA weather radio. My main frequency in Cleveland is 162.550. That is the highest of the 7 NOAA frequencies. That is received on Channel 7 on my inside radio - although it is labeled as Channel G - and it is received on Channel 1 on the Spyder. And it comes in pretty clear. However, people have complained for years about the radio reception on the Spyders, which is mostlty due to the excessive amount of thread locker used when installing the antenna - which is more likely your issue. As mentioned, test it out while riding in the open and see how things change.

Wherever you may be, the key to receiving the applicable weather broadcast for that area is to cycle through the channels until you find the best reception. That would, of course, be the closest one to you. Don't concern yourself with channel numbers. As you know, every few minutes the station broadcasts its ID and location.

Edit: corrected UHF to VHF.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

My weather band works fine on my 2015. I just wish it would switch to weather band automatically when a warning is issued. My Triumph Trophy audio system did this and it was appreciated.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Down here in Eastern Oklahoma we look up to the western sky and drive away from the black clouds or try to outrun them.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Down here in Eastern Oklahoma we look up to the western sky and drive away from the black clouds or try to outrun them.
    LOL yeah those kinda clouds don't need any type of warning...just Go the other way...smart thinking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    The weather radio on the Spyder is a function of the standard radio and antenna. It does not need the CB radio nor does it need the CB antenna. NOAA broadcasts are UHF FM. The antenna that comes installed on the Spyder is not the best, as far as being tuned for UHF, but it functions.

There is no standard for channel assignment numbers for NOAA weather radio. My main frequency in Cleveland is 162.550. That is the highest of the 7 NOAA frequencies. That is received on Channel 7 on my inside radio - although it is labeled as Channel G - and it is received on Channel 1 on the Spyder. And it comes in pretty clear. However, people have complained for years about the radio reception on the Spyders, which is mostlty due to the excessive amount of thread locker used when installing the antenna - which is more likely your issue. As mentioned, test it out while riding in the open and see how things change.

Wherever you may be, the key to receiving the applicable weather broadcast for that area is to cycle through the channels until you find the best reception. That would, of course, be the closest one to you. Don't concern yourself with channel numbers. As you know, every few minutes the station broadcasts its ID and location.
    That makes sense. Thank you!