Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Shell Rotella T6 5W40
    FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil, changed each 5000 miles. Other than the oem oil used for break in miles, it has been Mobil 1 every oil change.
    Ran aftermarket oil filter and O rings once and will be going back to oem oil filters and o rings.

Never accomplished SOAP samples to evaluate the oils long term durability, but others have and it does very well. 5000 miles is changing prior to the oil truly shearing from use. My concerns of wear are not in regards to the engine, but rather the gearbox.

Shared sumps are hard on the oil. Not worth the wear associated with long oil change intervals, and overall, oil and a filter is inexpensive vs gearbox wear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm hyper FRUGAL, but I wouldn't take his advice..... if the oil doesn't have a Jaso MA II rating it's NOT going in my Spyder - PERIOD ..... good luck .... Mike
    There have been some interesting discussions regarding the JASO rating of the Rotella T6. Interesting in that others brought up that while the label states the oil is JASO MA2 approved, the Rotella T6 has not been posted on the most recent, and even previous JASO lists of oils submitted, tested and approved by the JASO.

I can not explain or understand why if the oil is actually approved, even if by testing from an independent lab, or by the JASO, the oil has not made it onto the JASO published list of approved oils.

Is there anyone that has been involved within the oil industry that can clarify the reasoning of why Rotella T6 was not listed as approved by the JASO in theirpublished approval list?

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I switched over to the rotella t-6 and one of the things that is very noticable is that if I don't let my engine warm up in cold weather and just try to start and go on my way the engine wants to stall on initial take off in first gear until the oil warms up.

I didn't have this issue with using the xps oil.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I heartily second BajaRon's recommendation of Blackstone doing the oil analysis. Get a baseline done then send out at every oil change. It is cheap insurance.

BTW I would change the oil and filter every 5000 miles or at least once a year if bike isnt used that much. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, oil is cheap, engines are expensive....
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

bel-ray exs synthetic ester sae 10-40 9300 miles or so changed oil 3 times this year havent changed orings at all did up grade to magnetic drain plugs what a time saver they are