Spyder Garage

Default Genius Maps-Again

Hi all,

So I've got the newish Digital dash and downloaded the App, at cost, now its asking $45 AUD to download Street directions, turn by turn directions and so on. Don't mind paying, just want to know if its worth it!

I am able to use Google maps but i don't think it works offline paticialy here in Australia! Anybody know?

Thanks AB

Spyder Garage

Genius maps works OK. I paid for the 2 modules to make it work with the dash. You need to pay for the map for your area. You also need to pay for the interface module to work with your dash. These are one time fees. You need to decide for yourself if it is worth it. There is another GPS app available that works with the Spyder dash "SYGIC CAR NAVIGATION". I have not tried that one. Google maps does not really work with your dash. Just a general location nothing else so far.

What I have done is I have mounted my phone on the handlebars. Installed a dedicated usb power plug for it to keep it charged up. Don't use the usb in my glove box. But I still have that option if I want. I use the phones screen for a gps. That's works well for me and I can use any gps app I want. The phone is BT paired to the dash and my helmet is paired to the dash as well. So using my phone as a audio player works great. With the choice of audio from the Spyders speakers or helmet headset. The hands free phone functions work very well and all controlled by the left handlebar joystick.

For GPS apps I use either Waze or google maps. Waze must have and uses phone data while running and not good for going to areas without phone service. Google maps works very well too and can be setup so that it does not need any cell data. In settings choose wifi data only and use the download offline maps function. You need to pre download maps to wherever you are going while under wifi. Not that big a deal and the maps are good for 30 days. I can also use Genius maps. Because I already paid for it. Since the maps are already loaded no prep needed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Genius maps works OK. I paid for the 2 modules to make it work with the dash. You need to pay for the map for your area. You also need to pay for the interface module to work with your dash. These are one time fees. You need to decide for yourself if it is worth it. There is another GPS app available that works with the Spyder dash "SYGIC CAR NAVIGATION". I have not tried that one. Google maps does not really work with your dash. Just a general location nothing else so far.

What I have done is I have mounted my phone on the handlebars. Installed a dedicated usb power plug for it to keep it charged up. Don't use the usb in my glove box. But I still have that option if I want. I use the phones screen for a gps. That's works well for me and I can use any gps app I want. The phone is BT paired to the dash and my helmet is paired to the dash as well. So using my phone as a audio player works great. With the choice of audio from the Spyders speakers or helmet headset. The hands free phone functions work very well and all controlled by the left handlebar joystick.

For GPS apps I use either Waze or google maps. Waze must have and uses phone data while running and not good for going to areas without phone service. Google maps works very well too and can be setup so that it does not need any cell data. In settings choose wifi data only and use the download offline maps function. You need to pre download maps to wherever you are going while under wifi. Not that big a deal and the maps are good for 30 days. I can also use Genius maps. Because I already paid for it. Since the maps are already loaded no prep needed.
    Downloaded SYGIC to my phone and ran it through BRP connect...doggone app puts Interstate markers on ALL my local State Routes with 70 mph speed limits ...and there was a 5 or 7 day 'free' period...I uninstalled it...also have REVER and Genius, don't know about them yet....thinking about going back to my car Garmin 255 but the screen is impossible to read outside...tried one of those film screen thingies and that didn't work worth a hoot...next I'm going to fabricate a sun shield and try that...just hate to put out more $$$$ for a motorcycle friendly GPS....

2 Wheels (ST1100, Marauder, Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel) 3 wheels (2018 Spyder RT Ltd)

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

Thanks, Really appreciate the detailed information. As a result i'll use Genius, not really fond of adding extras to my handlebars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hershey View Post
    Downloaded SYGIC to my phone and ran it through BRP connect...doggone app puts Interstate markers on ALL my local State Routes with 70 mph speed limits ...and there was a 5 or 7 day 'free' period...I uninstalled it...also have REVER and Genius, don't know about them yet....thinking about going back to my car Garmin 255 but the screen is impossible to read outside...tried one of those film screen thingies and that didn't work worth a hoot...next I'm going to fabricate a sun shield and try that...just hate to put out more $$$$ for a motorcycle friendly GPS....
    Thanks for the comment, i don't mind paying so Genius it is.

Spyder Garage

Both Genius and Sygic offer (or at least did) one week trails. Highly advise giving them both a try first. I much preferred Sygic, although it is not perfect. It is a little better for creating custom routes etc, but after you try you can make your own decision.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Didn't much chare for Sygic because it made all my State Routes Interstate with 70 MPH limts.... ....just started downloading maps for Genius before I came up to clear my email....will look it over tomorrow...

2 Wheels (ST1100, Marauder, Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel) 3 wheels (2018 Spyder RT Ltd)

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, ill try Genius for awhile! AB

Spyder Garage

I do like the MPH nanny in Genius maps. Nothing more irksome than a speed trap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    I do like the MPH nanny in Genius maps. Nothing more irksome than a speed trap.
    Only a problem if your speeding SuperG and i would never do that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Only a problem if your speeding SuperG and i would never do that.
    Heh, Heh.... I mostly use cruise control. Those back roads love to change speed though, every little whistle-stop town. My Dad used to judge the size of those towns by whether, when he'd spit out his tobacco chew, if he'd make it to the other side by the time it hit the ground.

Spyder Garage

Heh heh...my grandpaw used to say 'room for your a$$ and a gallon of gas and your feet hang out the window....

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

I have had a problem with the voice going back to British every time I start the app! I emailed them and got a reply (it took a few days) that they have an update coming out. Not sure what will be included, but good to know.

Spyder Garage

Ha! boys, love the discrifted way your Grandads gave for distances. Funny my genius maps keeps reverting to an American voice, very annoying!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Ha! boys, love the discrifted way your Grandads gave for distances. Funny my genius maps keeps reverting to an American voice, very annoying!
    That is funny! We have a choice for voice commands which I choose English, but the only choice for language is English UK so that's what it keep reverting too

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    That is funny! We have a choice for voice commands which I choose English, but the only choice for language is English UK so that's what it keep reverting too
    Sorry MonPaul, its my British [originally but live Australia] sense of humour, no American accent, UK voice here as well.