Spyder Garage

Default RS magneto question

The 2014 RS has a 500 watt magneto, the 2016 RS with the same displacement, has a 650 watt magneto. Can a 2014 engine be upgraded , or is there a difference in the engine case that allows more room for a larger magneto/stator pair?
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Check the part numbers of the associated parts.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

I took my own advice and did so, tho I don't see a 2016 RS showing a 650w stator listed, just the regular 500w stator. Anyhow a couple of years back I bought a used stator supposedly from a 990, which has a 125mm outside diameter, just in case I should ever need one, as both my sons have has burnt stators - one on a Triumph 1050Toger and the other on a BMW F800GS. My 10yo Spyder has been flashing the battery warning lamp at idle rpm when turning the bars. It started doing this 6-8 months ago so I've been thinking the stator is 'on the way out' perhaps. Yesterday I pulled it off the engine to find no discolouration and that it is 115mm in diameter.

So, to get back to the OP's question - is the 2013 RT with a 650w stator 125mm in diameter or 115mm?

Spyder Garage

Answer: 125mm

Spyder Garage

The 2014 RS should be the 650 watt. If you are looking in the manual it is likely wrong. All models went to the 991 series engine in 2013. Higher output magneto/regulator/rectifier, higher compression, lower peak horsepower and wider power band. Same engine the RT had all along.

2018 F3 LIMITED