Spyder Garage

Default full power shifting

On my 2019 f3s se6 when shifting at medium rpms it shifts smooth but at high full power shifts it histatates and nose dives before shifting in every gear is there and adjustment for that not to happen ?I am not hitting the rev limiter
    richie spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are your medium and full power RPM's ?

Spyder Garage

3500 med high full power 6800
    richie spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not positive with the F3 but I believe your full power shifts are at a pretty high RPM. Any issue with shifts at a lower RPM ? I'm not aware of any adjustment.
    I'm sure you'll get more comments.

Spyder Garage

At higher RPM's, there is more load going through the drivetrain. The lag you are experiencing is probably just the computer taking a bit longer to cut the fuel and ignition of the engine to reduce the load going into the transmission before it shifts. This prevents damage to the trans and the shifting mechanism.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    On my 2019 f3s se6 when shifting at medium rpms it shifts smooth but at high full power shifts it histatates i every gear is there and adjustment for that not to happen ?I am not hitting the rev limiter
    I just Drag raced my 2014 with SE trans at Spyderfest ( at an official track )….. 25 + runs …. shifted great ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

At a guess, unknowingly you are backing off the throttle slightly, confusing the computer with a TPS reading change.

As I understand it, the shift unloads the drivetrain by momentarily killing the ignition. Fuel flow is not altered as it is too slow to respond.

Twist the grip hard to the stop, so as to know it is not being even slightly closed, and start grabbing gears.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    At a guess, unknowingly you are backing off the throttle slightly, confusing the computer with a TPS reading change.

As I understand it, the shift unloads the drivetrain by momentarily killing the ignition. Fuel flow is not altered as it is too slow to respond.

Twist the grip hard to the stop, so as to know it is not being even slightly closed, and start grabbing gears.
    I'm not trying to be difficult PMK, but I believe you have this the wrong way round. If unburnt fuel is allowed into the exhaust it will explode as soon as the ignition comes back.

I suspect that the OP has the throttle wide open in any case, hence his query.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I'm not trying to be difficult PMK, but I believe you have this the wrong way round. If unburnt fuel is allowed into the exhaust it will explode as soon as the ignition comes back.

I suspect that the OP has the throttle wide open in any case, hence his query.
    It is possible to cut engine loads to allow the shift by cutting fuel or ignition. Typically, if, when you accomplish a gearshift under high loads, and hear the “bang” as it takes the gear, that is ignition cut. Under load, our 14 RTS with the 1330 will have the exhaust bang as the ignition is relit. For mild riding, not high engine power upshifts, seldom is there a bang in the exhaust.

Possibly BRP utilizes variation depending upon Throttle position, vehicle speed and rpm. For less spirited riders, possibly they utilize a softer shift via longer duration fuel cut, whereas under hard acceleration they utilize ignition cut for a faster response.

As I mentioned, under hard acceleration, or Spyder has the definite bang, essentially the same as high performance sports cars on the track.

Spyder Garage

With respect PMK, you use terms like 'as a guess' 'typically if' 'possibly BRP...this or that.' It would be good to have facts rather than ifs and possibilities. Can you produce them?

If I had a Spyder that had a definite bang under hard acceleration I'd be concerned rather than equating it to high performance sports cars on the track, and looking for the cause. But that's possibly just me.

Spyder Garage

With respect PMK, you use terms like 'as a guess' 'typically if' 'possibly BRP...this or that.' It would be good to have facts rather than ifs and possibilities. Can you produce them?

If I had a Spyder that had a definite bang under hard acceleration I'd be concerned rather than equating it to high performance sports cars on the track, and looking for the cause. But that's possibly just me.
    Well then, facts, and I held off on mentioning this previously.

Facts,a short while back, while discussing this with longtime Spyder owner, and a factory trained technician that has worked on many Spyders at an awarded Spyder dealership, Kenny Butler agreed the unloading of the drivetrain for a shift was accomplished via an ignition cut. Short of asking the guy that designed the system, I trust Kennys training and words, along with the telltale bang in the exhaust system as ignition cut.

I have no concern about an ignition induced fuel relight under hard acceleration.

The proverbial ball is on your side of the net, do you have facts to validate your opinion the shift is accomplished via fuel cut?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To ALL , while I was drag racing ( always at Full throttle ) I didn't notice any Bangs during shifting ….. I possibly could have missed it/them ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Best is to try your shifting at high rpm's paying close attention to your throttle hand. To many it is like an instinct to ease a bit and this will cause the shifting hesitation. If this is not the case you could have BUDS check your ryde and see if all updates are installed and if there may be something else going on as there is no home adjustment to be made...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Well then, facts, and I held off on mentioning this previously.

Facts,a short while back, while discussing this with longtime Spyder owner, and a factory trained technician that has worked on many Spyders at an awarded Spyder dealership, Kenny Butler agreed the unloading of the drivetrain for a shift was accomplished via an ignition cut. Short of asking the guy that designed the system, I trust Kennys training and words, along with the telltale bang in the exhaust system as ignition cut.

I have no concern about an ignition induced fuel relight under hard acceleration.

The proverbial ball is on your side of the net, do you have facts to validate your opinion the shift is accomplished via fuel cut?

No I don't PMK (it was my understanding, not opinion) - I was simply challenging you to provide factual information to back up your ifs & maybes in the hope that you could do that and that I could learn something - thank you. As I said, my challenge to you was with respect.

I'll do some research and see what I come up with next week. But I'd still be concerned about the bang you hear.

Ride safe and keep banging on your way into the future.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    On my 2019 f3s se6 when shifting at medium rpms it shifts smooth but at high full power shifts it histatates i every gear is there and adjustment for that not to happen ?I am not hitting the rev limiter
    If it did not "hesitate" a bit as it shifts, it would SLAM into the next gear.......and you would NOT like the results of that.

Spyder Garage

Update on my post 14: I contacted Jase @ ECU Xtreme here in Aust (rotaxracing@gmail.com) who is the go-to boy for BRP wizardry here. His reply to the 'fuel or ignition cut' discussion while gears change on the SE6, which PMK and I were sharing with you all is: Cut is done via the whole ign so both fuel and spark are cut. In the old days it was fuel cut.

There - were we both right or were we both wrong? But we're all smarter now.

Ride safe and keep banging away at WOT

Spyder Garage

Update on my post 14: I contacted Jase @ ECU Xtreme here in Aust (rotaxracing@gmail.com) who is the go-to boy for BRP wizardry here. His reply to the 'fuel or ignition cut' discussion while gears change on the SE6, which PMK and I were sharing with you all is: Cut is done via the whole ign so both fuel and spark are cut. In the old days it was fuel cut.

Day late, dollar short! I called it in post #5

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Glad I read this before responding to an earlier post...........in any event our ecu's can do everything faster and better than is humanly possible, and that includes a split second throttle lift for a shift
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome