Thread: Is it legal

Spyder Garage

Default Is it legal

For a dealership to refused to perform maintenance/repairs on your Spyder simply because you purchased it from another dealer?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    For a dealership to refused to perform maintenance/repairs on your Spyder simply because you purchased it from another dealer?
    I would contact BRP Cares and let them know about this.... There various types of Civil Liberties violations but this doesn't fit ... However if you are an American Indian …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's probably not illegal...
    But if you push them: they'll tell you that you have to wait until they've serviced the bikes that were bought there!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That type of dealership attitude would suggest to me to go elsewhere.

Spyder Garage

The dealership that was local to me would always give priority in service to people who bought their bikes there. It makes sense from their standpoint, especially this time of year.

Spyder Garage

Their business, their rules. I don't think it would be in our country's best interest to force businesses to serve someone they don't want to.

However, I would get in touch with the owner or GM and let them know that their business practices just lost them your business, and everyone you can spread the word to.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a very good indicator of what their customer service would be. Run away and spread the word
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To me, it sounds as if you’re being unfair to the dealer. If i bought a unit from him and had to wait an unusual amount of time to get service because he was too busy dealing with “others” requirements (those who bought elsewhere), I would be mighty “pissed off” with the dealer that I had purchased from for being “too busy” for me, his loyal customer.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Just spoke to my selling and servicing dealer about this topic yesterday....I go to the front of the line because I bought it their but they will not refuse service to a alien buyer.

Spyder Garage

No, it's not illegal. Bad idea, very poor customer service and many other negative things. But not illegal. Not sure I'd want to do business with a dealership that treated their fellow man that way. There is such a thing as just doing the right thing. Dealerships fail because of things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    To me, it sounds as if you’re being unfair to the dealer. If i bought a unit from him and had to wait an unusual amount of time to get service because he was too busy dealing with “others” requirements (those who bought elsewhere), I would be mighty “pissed off” with the dealer that I had purchased from for being “too busy” for me, his loyal customer.
    There is a difference between refusing to work on your Spyder and putting you at the back of the line. Woe to the poor guy who moves to another area or if their original purchase point dealership goes belly up if the treatment this OP received were the norm.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have no idea if it's legal, but it sure is stupid because the majority of the revenue stream generated by a spyder sale is in the maintenance.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

I am a OEM dealer for many companies in the outdoor power equipment world.

For instance I am a Briggs And Stratton authorized dealer per my contract with them (B&S) I can not refuse to do warranty work because such engine / equipment was purchased somewhere else. Also they do not like if we prioritize my customers 1st that have purchased engines / equipment from my store. I can say it happens all the time, but it is frowned upon. B&S would like us to perform work in the shop in the order in which it was received. I would have to look at my contracts with some OEM's if the same rules apply to NON warranty work, my brain is telling me the same rules apply.

So it's technically not illegal, but more a breech in the signed contract possibly with said OEM company.

I would agree with most people above. I would take it as they are a horrible place to do business with from that kind of attitude. I would also place a call to BRP just so they have a record of it, as someone else has already mentioned as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ATC View Post
    Their business, their rules. I don't think it would be in our country's best interest to force businesses to serve someone they don't want to.

However, I would get in touch with the owner or GM and let them know that their business practices just lost them your business, and everyone you can spread the word to.
    Absolutely agree. Sadly it happens with other lines of business as well (think SCUBA). Here's an opportunity to make money (which is the whole point or you go out of business) and build your customer base and you piss it away? I'd be naming names and just maybe someone else will get the message and welcome your business.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I have no idea if it's legal, but it sure is stupid because the majority of the revenue stream generated by a spyder sale is in the maintenance.
    .... I was checking to see if anyone had posted this ….you did …. so I'll just ………. Mike

Spyder Garage

Usually this kind of treatment is meant as punishment for purchasing from the competition.

Sadly, they do not understand that the best way to 'Punish' the competition is to provide better customer service so the competition never sees that customer again.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

HA!
    They "all" pull that one. Even a lawn mower/snow blower dealer will make you wait, and wait, and wait, till they have serviced "all" their clients first. Only exception I know is for people traveling away from their home. They will make an allowance for that. Even worse..... buy something from a big box store, and then try and get it fixed at a dealer. Might as well get out a calendar for when you will get it repaired.

Spyder Garage

To be clear, this did not happen to me personally. Someone here said it was unfair to the dealer to expect him to pass over his "loyal" customers for some "alien" customer. So I guess in their mind it's fine for the alien customer to be placed at the end of the line while the loyal customers get serviced. And then day by day, week by week, the alien slowly moves up the line until finally they're next.

Then bang, 2-3 more loyal customers come in, so the alien gets kicked to the back of line again. That certainly sounds like a fair way to run a business. NOT
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would contact BRP Cares and let them know about this.... There various types of Civil Liberties violations but this doesn't fit ... However if you are an American Indian …… Mike
    What he said!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

To be clear, this did not happen to me personally. Someone here said it was unfair to the dealer to expect him to pass over his "loyal" customers for some "alien" customer. So I guess in their mind it's fine for the alien customer to be placed at the end of the line while the loyal customers get serviced. And then day by day, week by week, the alien slowly moves up the line until finally they're next.

Then bang, 2-3 more loyal customers come in, so the alien gets kicked to the back of line again. That certainly sounds like a fair way to run a business. NOT
    I don't get that attitude. Money is green no matter who's giving it to you. Seems like "first come; first serve" would be the best model for any dealer service operation.

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It may or may not make sense for a particular dealer to prioritize service for customers who bought the machine there. Thankfully, private businesses still have the freedom to do what they think is best for their business. And, we have the freedom to patronize or not patronize them.

Let's not make this into a criticism of individual dealers' choices when the real issue is the way Can-Am has restricted the servicing of our specialized machines to authorized Can-Am dealers who in most cases would just as soon not deal with them. Can-Am needs to provide proper incentives to dealers so they are motivated to staff up their service departments to handle our special machines' service needs in a timely manner.
    2014 RTL Platinum