Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parking Brake

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentshaf View Post
    Went back to see what I could do with my Spyder this morning. Got the key from inside and hopped on the bike turned the key and the Parking Brake was still blinking - the pb brake was locked. It was on a slight downhill incline, so I decided to try to move a few feet to the flat driveway. It pushed forward. I turned off the key, removed it and put it back in. When I turned the key on again, the pb light was off! I started the bike and rode it to the dealer. No problems. Using the VIN they ran a check for recalls or bulletins. They found 1 for radio issues, which had already been performed. I drove home with no problems and later to fill the bike up, with no problems. The dealer said they could look at error history when I bring it in for the 3000 mile service. I don't know what caused the problem nor what fixed it.
    What am I missing here, you said the parking brake was locked, and then you said you could move it a few feet and it pushed forward.
    When my parking brake is on the back tire slides if I try to move it.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Welcome to the $30,000 club! It look like BRP would recognize the brake issue and fix it with a part from a differ part supplier. Spyders are number 10 on the reliability list! We are not going to increase sales in the US for Spyders until BRP steps up and delivers us a quality Spyder! I get so depressed with the Techs and dealer because they sell so few that they never keep any parts! I am thinking of buying me another two wheeler, so I can
    ride with my friends without fear of breaking down on the road! By the way, I am 75 years old!!
    So sad that you have that fear of breaking down on the side of the road.
    As in a different post https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...123050-Touring we just got back from an awesome two week trip 4914 miles, through some very remote places in NM, UT, and CO, towing a camper most of the time, without a single problem.
    We have been on 5 such trips averaging roughly 5,000 miles per trip and have over 39,000 miles on my 2015 RTL, and no once has it let me down or stranded me anywhere. Look at the miles that Spyderann01 puts on hers and the places she takes it.
    I am not belittling the fact that some Spyders have problems, but if you set and worry that yours might be one of the ones to have problems and never try it or trust it, why have it?
    Sell it, get you something else, and be happy. At 75 years old you should be happy with the time you have left!
    By the way, I am not 75 years old!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentshaf View Post
    I don't know what caused the problem nor what fixed it.
    HIGHLY unlikely that anything is "fixed".
    There have been a LOT of problems with the parking brake "motor"; also some bad switches.

I suggest that the next time this happens you NOT try to "fix" it yourself but have it towed to the dealer.

If this finally fails completely while you are out on the road somewhere it will be a MAJOR inconvenience.

There are several posts on here that describe how to manually release the brake if needed.
    It would be good to know how to do that too.

Spyder Garage

2018 RTL. Pulled up to the pump and filled up. Turned key on, depressed Mode, cranked the Spyder, pressed the parking brake, put it in gear and it would go no where. Blinking parking brake light. Turned the key off, let all the lights go away, started it back up and it released. Finished my ride and took it home. Next weekend it was close to my 9000 mi check up so decided to ride to my dealer for service. Left it there and a few days later was supposed to go pick it up, but they called. The Parking Brake was locked and they couldn't get it to release. That was 3 weeks ago. Case is opened with BRP and they are "discussing" what to do next.

I need a link to "How to use that 12mm wrench to release the parking brake"

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the parking brake problems . I'm out in the middle of Montana and I have a problem---- one of my fog lights ( led ) has failed!!!
    BUT really BRP should take care of ALL of these problems on their expensive machines.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I took my Spyder to the dealer for the 3K oil change and checkup. I told them when I dropped it off about my Parking Brake light blinking problem. They charged me an additional $80 to test it and said there was no problem. I drove it home and yesterday went to get on but the PB light is blinking and the PB is on. I left it overnight but I still can't get the light to stop blinking and release the PB. I've tried tons of combinations with the foot brake, PB switch, mode switch, key in, key out, key away from bike. It seems as the south GA Farm Boy says, I have a pretty $26,000 bike but can't use it. I'll call the dealer again, but sure wish I could find a workaround.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Surely I agree with you Easy Rider. I used the term fixed loosely, and I understand that when something goes wrong, it's not fixed until something changes to "fix" it. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Fatcycledaddy - Yes the parking brake is locked on. Putting the bike in gear forward or reverse will move the bike. It feels similar to when I would try to move my old 65 Ford and I had forgotten to release the parking brake.

Spyder Garage

2014 RT...So, last week got to gas station, filled up, started and then pushed parking brake release. Light still blinking, bike will not move. Pushed it again, light still blinking but now, brake is released. Light continued to blink. Ironically was on my way to Lexington Motorsports. Long story short: Error code ( I was told) was that the actuator motor was sticking. They cleared to code and the pb was working correctly.... but am leaving for vacation and did not want to end up sitting on a "brick" if it would not release. Told them to order parts and made appointment. Long story short: Repair cost : around $700. Also having to replace my Zumo 665 which died 24hrs before the previous issue (no longer manufactured and Garmin no longer provides even refurbished ones)...... with the Zumo 595..... just received today.... feels well built with some "heft"....... will miss XM but will be able to access that through phone....... this ONLY happens a week before you leave for vacation.......

Spyder Garage

My 2018 had similar issues with PB blinking and not releasing but warning beeper was acting normal (was very very hot in toy hauler). I let it sit with a towel over left handle bar and removed cable and after a while hasn't done it since last Friday.

IMG_20190719_165121.jpg
    Taking to dealer this Saturday to drop off for awhile..........
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

My new 2018 RTL is in captivity going on 22 days today for a parking brake fix along with water pump replacement. Called today, status is still pending with units ahead of me. Long story short- Carry your pair of 12mm wrenches. It's no wonder these bikes were rated as the least reliable of all the major brands.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

My parking brake locked too. Light would blink, but the sensor "knew" if it was engaged or not. - Beeping at alternating press of PARK.
    I called the dealer and they sent me a Can-Am Solution Sheet.pdf - "Parking brake might be stuck on 18-19 Units."
    Testing returned brake motors they "noticed" that an internal plastic gear needed improvements (change of material) they are working with supplier to make the change.

Their Solution (for immediate issue) is:
    1 Sit on the Spyder
    2 start the engine
    3 idle 15 sec
    4 press hard on the brake pedal
    5 activate the parking brake
    6 deactivate parking brake
    7 cycle the activate and deactivate state on the switch a few times (5 to 10)
    - - this worked for me and I was able to ride it to the shop

if that is not sufficient use the 12mm key to loosen the cable and try again.

My dealer had a new brake motor on the shelf, and will replace mine - nice to ride it to them.

Spyder Garage

After 7 weeks finally got my Spyder back. They replaced the brake motor. Had my one year anniversary this past Sunday and hit 11,000 miles. Looking forward to many more.