This morning left the house to go to a gas station not too far, about 3 miles. Parked the bike and parking brake as usual. Did my purchase and ready to leave. Started the bike, pressed the mode button and pressed the brake button. Ooops! the brake light start blinking. Put in reverse gear, still blinking and the bike wouldn't move. Shut off the bike, waited a few minutes, start and the same thing. So I disconnected the battery thinking it would clear that. 10 minutes with battery off. Re-attached and the same thing. I looked up the code faults. Wow... 3 faults
C1183 P1571 U0128. I have no idea what's going on. Stuck at a gas station. I called 3 dealers to see if they could help. Nada. Bring the bike. I cannot even do that since the wheel is looked. How to put it on a trailer with a locked wheel? Then I called a friend which lives near by and has the same year (2018 RTL) bike as mine. He suggested to disconnect the parking brake cable. He said he was on his way with some tools. I checked every fuse. All good. While waiting, one of the dealer called. I told him I was going to disconnect the brake cable. He said no way. All I wanted was to bring the bike home and deal with it from there. Anyway, my friend arrived with tools. Started loosening the brake cable lock nut. I can feel the cable being very tight and even with the lock nut off, it was gone be a struggle. Now, I just had an Ultimate seat installed about 2 weeks ago at the Springfield rally. He said to open it and sure enough, the seat sensor was disconnected. Weird. As soon as I reconnected the plug, it released the parking brake and the bike started rolling backward (it was on a slight incline) . I put back the lock nut. Check the fault code and two of the code were gone. Only the U0128 was still there. Got on the bike. All looked good. Parking brake working as it should. Made it home OK. Check again for the code. Still there. I removed the key and put it far away from the bike for several minute. Back in the garage, and the fault code is gone.
Now, how can an unplugged seat sensor cause so much headache?
So, in case some of you face a similar problem, I guess check the seat sensor cable. You never know.....