Thread: Parking Brake

Hybrid View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    A Can you cite where BRP would agree to me having my RTL towed on the ground with a dolly on any of the wheels?

Just askin'.
    Note that I did NOT say to tow it on the ground.......except far enough to get it loaded on the flat bed.

Spyder Garage

So, this morning I did a little test (safely in my garage). I started the bike, while NOT seating on it. Started good. Pressed the brake release and brake light started blinking, just like when the problem started. Shut off the bike, removed the key and walked away to my backyard a few minutes. Came back, started the bike and all is normal again. So definitively, the seat sensor has something to do with that.
    I think, if the sensor doesn't feel someone on the seat, it will not release the brake. Does that make sense? For safety??????
    Last edited by Bigmo; 06-02-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    So, this morning I did a little test (safely in my garage). I started the bike, while NOT seating on it. Started good. Pressed the brake release and brake light started blinking, just like when the problem started. Shut off the bike, removed the key and walked away to my backyard a few minutes. Came back, started the bike and all is normal again. So definitively, the seat sensor has something to do with that.
    I think, if the sensor doesn't feel someone on the seat, it will not release the brake. Does that make sense? For safety??????
    No, we turn the brake off every time we do an alignment and this is not an issue. I have read on FB that there is a service bulletin for 18 & 19’s for this issue.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake lock up

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No, we turn the brake off every time we do an alignment and this is not an issue. I have read on FB that there is a service bulletin for 18 & 19’s for this issue.
    Guys,
    I think it is the cheap module control valves on the handlebars on the 2018-2019 year models! My F-3 Limited is about 8 months old and has had the left control module replaced twice, and the right hand module has been replaced once in less than 4K miles! Yes it has had parking brake lock up causing it one time along with cruise control problems. One of the time, the shifter would not allow you to down shift with shifter button or even put it in reverse! I am on my third Spyder ( 2013 RT Limited, 2016 RT Limited and now F-3 Limited), but it is hard for me to recommend a Spyder to possible new customers! Thankfully, I have a good dealer who tries to keep mine fixed, but ordering parts and getting them here in a timely manner using BRP is difficult! Our resale value is falling, and BPR needs to wake up and get a new supplier for these control modules! We didn't have this problem with 2017 year models and down, even those the parking brake problem has been around awhile! When you look in your shop or garage and see your $29,000 Spyder, just think of the nice car or jeep you could have spent your money on! BPR, please wake up and look at our problems and copy Harley if need be to set up a consistent parts location for your Dealers and Customers!

Spyder Garage

Amen....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    So definitively, the seat sensor has something to do with that.
    Your ONE test proves nothing......except that yours is still not working right.

I just tested mine and it does not work that way.

AND.....the sensor is for a REAR seat passenger, not the front rider.

Spyder Garage

You may be right. May be just a coincidence....

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Note that I did NOT say to tow it on the ground.......except far enough to get it loaded on the flat bed.
    OK. That's not the way your original post read to me, but OK. I was just asking based on the Owner's Manual instructions. They say nothing about using a dolly, so I asked. And your original post said nothing about using a flatbed, so I asked that too.

We can move on now.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited