Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking Brake

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake

This morning left the house to go to a gas station not too far, about 3 miles. Parked the bike and parking brake as usual. Did my purchase and ready to leave. Started the bike, pressed the mode button and pressed the brake button. Ooops! the brake light start blinking. Put in reverse gear, still blinking and the bike wouldn't move. Shut off the bike, waited a few minutes, start and the same thing. So I disconnected the battery thinking it would clear that. 10 minutes with battery off. Re-attached and the same thing. I looked up the code faults. Wow... 3 faults
    C1183 P1571 U0128. I have no idea what's going on. Stuck at a gas station. I called 3 dealers to see if they could help. Nada. Bring the bike. I cannot even do that since the wheel is looked. How to put it on a trailer with a locked wheel? Then I called a friend which lives near by and has the same year (2018 RTL) bike as mine. He suggested to disconnect the parking brake cable. He said he was on his way with some tools. I checked every fuse. All good. While waiting, one of the dealer called. I told him I was going to disconnect the brake cable. He said no way. All I wanted was to bring the bike home and deal with it from there. Anyway, my friend arrived with tools. Started loosening the brake cable lock nut. I can feel the cable being very tight and even with the lock nut off, it was gone be a struggle. Now, I just had an Ultimate seat installed about 2 weeks ago at the Springfield rally. He said to open it and sure enough, the seat sensor was disconnected. Weird. As soon as I reconnected the plug, it released the parking brake and the bike started rolling backward (it was on a slight incline) . I put back the lock nut. Check the fault code and two of the code were gone. Only the U0128 was still there. Got on the bike. All looked good. Parking brake working as it should. Made it home OK. Check again for the code. Still there. I removed the key and put it far away from the bike for several minute. Back in the garage, and the fault code is gone.
    Now, how can an unplugged seat sensor cause so much headache?
    So, in case some of you face a similar problem, I guess check the seat sensor cable. You never know.....
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Hmm. The bike couldn't verify a rider on board so it refused to release the brake. Don't ask me why it waited until you got to the store Is it possible that the seat plug had been connected, but not tight and worked it's way out at the poorly timed moment?
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Seems to be happening on 18 RT and F3 a lot lately.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I had a new seat installed about 2 weeks ago and the installer (Ultimate) may not have plugged it properly. It has clip on it but I guess, did not push hard enough to seat it.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Interesting that the 2018s lock up the park brake when the seat sensor is disconnected. I did some work on my 2014 RTS a couple of years age which required removing the seat. I forgot to connect the sensor. The only thing I saw was the VSS symbol lit up on the cluster. Everything else worked fine.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Seems to be happening on 18 RT and F3 a lot lately.
    True. And older models too. Seems that they aren't trying very hard to fix the problem.

But the seat sensor should NOT have any bearing on the parking brake.

I think that was just a coincidence.
    It is not uncommon for them to release only to lock up again later.

Part of your warranty is TOWING when the Spyder is disabled.
    That can be done with the brake locked if the tow company puts a "dolly" under the locked wheel.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Part of your warranty is TOWING when the Spyder is disabled.
    That can be done with the brake locked if the tow company puts a "dolly" under the locked wheel.
    Are you sure that won't void a warranty or at least raise questions with Mother BRP? My 2018 RTL Owner's Manual says (with pictures) my RT should be towed on a flatbed and tied down as shown in the manual. Can you cite where BRP would agree to me having my RTL towed on the ground with a dolly on any of the wheels?

Just askin'.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    A Can you cite where BRP would agree to me having my RTL towed on the ground with a dolly on any of the wheels?

Just askin'.
    Note that I did NOT say to tow it on the ground.......except far enough to get it loaded on the flat bed.

Spyder Garage

So, this morning I did a little test (safely in my garage). I started the bike, while NOT seating on it. Started good. Pressed the brake release and brake light started blinking, just like when the problem started. Shut off the bike, removed the key and walked away to my backyard a few minutes. Came back, started the bike and all is normal again. So definitively, the seat sensor has something to do with that.
    I think, if the sensor doesn't feel someone on the seat, it will not release the brake. Does that make sense? For safety??????
    Last edited by Bigmo; 06-02-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    So, this morning I did a little test (safely in my garage). I started the bike, while NOT seating on it. Started good. Pressed the brake release and brake light started blinking, just like when the problem started. Shut off the bike, removed the key and walked away to my backyard a few minutes. Came back, started the bike and all is normal again. So definitively, the seat sensor has something to do with that.
    I think, if the sensor doesn't feel someone on the seat, it will not release the brake. Does that make sense? For safety??????
    No, we turn the brake off every time we do an alignment and this is not an issue. I have read on FB that there is a service bulletin for 18 & 19’s for this issue.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake lock up

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No, we turn the brake off every time we do an alignment and this is not an issue. I have read on FB that there is a service bulletin for 18 & 19’s for this issue.
    Guys,
    I think it is the cheap module control valves on the handlebars on the 2018-2019 year models! My F-3 Limited is about 8 months old and has had the left control module replaced twice, and the right hand module has been replaced once in less than 4K miles! Yes it has had parking brake lock up causing it one time along with cruise control problems. One of the time, the shifter would not allow you to down shift with shifter button or even put it in reverse! I am on my third Spyder ( 2013 RT Limited, 2016 RT Limited and now F-3 Limited), but it is hard for me to recommend a Spyder to possible new customers! Thankfully, I have a good dealer who tries to keep mine fixed, but ordering parts and getting them here in a timely manner using BRP is difficult! Our resale value is falling, and BPR needs to wake up and get a new supplier for these control modules! We didn't have this problem with 2017 year models and down, even those the parking brake problem has been around awhile! When you look in your shop or garage and see your $29,000 Spyder, just think of the nice car or jeep you could have spent your money on! BPR, please wake up and look at our problems and copy Harley if need be to set up a consistent parts location for your Dealers and Customers!

Spyder Garage

Amen....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So definitively, the seat sensor has something to do with that.
    Your ONE test proves nothing......except that yours is still not working right.

I just tested mine and it does not work that way.

AND.....the sensor is for a REAR seat passenger, not the front rider.

Spyder Garage

You may be right. May be just a coincidence....

Spyder Garage

Maybe I'm missing something, but I have on more than one occasion turned off my parking brake while standing beside my ST-S so that I could roll it within the garage to get to the rear tire air valve...no one on either seat.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Like I said, it may be just a coincidence that this happened after the seat issue. So far, all seems to work OK. I am now thinking it could be a problem with the left switch cluster. I had a problem putting the bike in reverse a couple weeks ago, but it's OK now, so...... who knows?

Spyder Garage

Had this same thing happened to me during my three-wheel endorsement class -- embarassing and very inconvenient! The class had a mechanic available, and he disconnected the cable from the bracket. Parking brake worked fine after that. Must have released enough tension from the cable to unlock it. He had also heard about issues with the '18 parking brake, thought it was a solenoid issue. I had the bike in to the dealer (Lifestyles, in Mount Vernon, WA) for other reasons this past week, and they fixed it, although in the rush to pick it up at closing time, I forgot to ask them what the problem was. Anyway, not an unusual issue with newer Spyders, apparently.
    I think I am, therefore I am. I think.
    George Carlin

'18 RT Limited Dark - Champagne
    '15 ST-S White/Orange (sold)
    '14 Ducati Monster 1200 (rear-ended)
    '12 Triumph Street Triple R (sold)
    '99 BMW R1100S (sold)
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

Like I said, it may be just a coincidence that this happened after the seat issue. So far, all seems to work OK. I am now thinking it could be a problem with the left switch cluster. I had a problem putting the bike in reverse a couple weeks ago, but it's OK now, so...... who knows?
    I don't have a wiring diagram for the 2018 RT & F3 but based on a pic I found it looks like the park brake button is on the left switch, right? That indicates to me that the PB is controlled via the CANbus in contrast to earlier RTs where the PB is controlled directly by the PB switch connections to the WPM. Probably the only function on the left switch that is not CANbus based is the horn. So I would agree that your recent shifting problem is indicative of left switch module problems. I wonder if there is some sort of unknown gremlin that is affecting the digital signals from the left switch. In early 2014 there was a problem with the CB radio mucking up digital signals with the RTs and causing limp home modes.

Just for giggles, if you have a PB lockup again see if the windshield will move up and down. The same module controls the PB motor and WS motor and the WS motor is also controlled via the CANbus by signals from the left switch. If the left switch is having a problem sending the correct commands then maybe the WS is also affected. See if the joy stick operates cluster choices correctly since they're CANbus also.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaynoJ View Post
    Anyway, not an unusual issue with newer Spyders, apparently.
    As I allude to in my post above the PB control system was changed to full CANbus control in 2018. That's why the problems are affecting the 2018s but not older RTs.

2014 Copper RTS

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Note that I did NOT say to tow it on the ground.......except far enough to get it loaded on the flat bed.
    OK. That's not the way your original post read to me, but OK. I was just asking based on the Owner's Manual instructions. They say nothing about using a dolly, so I asked. And your original post said nothing about using a flatbed, so I asked that too.

We can move on now.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

My 18 RT has started the parking brake gremlin now also. Sometimes won't set,sometimes won't release. I am releasing it manually with a 12mm wrench when I have to. No apparent rhyme or reason! Has anyone had this issue solved? What was the root problem?

Spyder Garage

Just read another thread on this and looks like switch and/or cable motor are culprits. Now to get my dealer to order parts without having my bike sit there for a month....

Spyder Garage

I was at a graduation party yesterday. Got on my 2018 RTL, (1900 miles on it.) to go home and the parking brake is blinking, bike won't move. I tried turning the key off for a few seconds and back on. I did that several times over the next 45 minutes or so, without success. I called Can-roadside help. The lady was nice and asked where I wanted it taken and when. Of course, I didn't want to drop it off without explanation on Sunday night, so I plan to deal with it this morning. CanAm will pay $200 for the tow truck. My wife reminded me it could be worse since we are planning a trip to Kentucky. I will reply to this post with the results. It's annoying to know I have a $30,000 unreliable vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the $30,000 club! It look like BRP would recognize the brake issue and fix it with a part from a differ part supplier. Spyders are number 10 on the reliability list! We are not going to increase sales in the US for Spyders until BRP steps up and delivers us a quality Spyder! I get so depressed with the Techs and dealer because they sell so few that they never keep any parts! I am thinking of buying me another two wheeler, so I can
    ride with my friends without fear of breaking down on the road! By the way, I am 75 years old!!

Spyder Garage

Went back to see what I could do with my Spyder this morning. Got the key from inside and hopped on the bike turned the key and the Parking Brake was still blinking - the pb brake was locked. It was on a slight downhill incline, so I decided to try to move a few feet to the flat driveway. It pushed forward. I turned off the key, removed it and put it back in. When I turned the key on again, the pb light was off! I started the bike and rode it to the dealer. No problems. Using the VIN they ran a check for recalls or bulletins. They found 1 for radio issues, which had already been performed. I drove home with no problems and later to fill the bike up, with no problems. The dealer said they could look at error history when I bring it in for the 3000 mile service. I don't know what caused the problem nor what fixed it.