Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPAP thoughts?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    My wife was forwarded to a CPAP clinic by her doctor. Clinic suggested that she needed to wear one based upon 24 test data. So she purchased one. She just went to a doctor prescribed Sleep Apnia Clinic and the doctor questioned whether she needed one or not. Are CPAP clinics just “sell to everyone?” Based upon clinic questionnaire she was not symptomatic of sleep apnia, but clinic test data said her breathing stopped 43 times in one hour (max) while sleeping.....

Insurance paid for her machine but wondering if this is real or hocus pocus?
    It's real, but there probably are charlatans out there, just as with all thing medical. If she snores, is tired and sleepy during the day, and has to get up during the night to go pee, then she undoubtedly is suffering from sleep apnea. But as has been said, the lab report is definitive. The criteria for diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea is 15 or more pauses in breathing lasting 10 seconds or more.

To learn all sorts of things about sleep apnea, and the issues related to it and to its treatment, go to www.CPAPTalk.com. It's an active forum with all kinds of questions and answers just like this one is!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Insurance paid for her machine but wondering if this is real or hocus pocus?
    Some of both, I think.

In my area, all kinds of Doctors have "sleep apnea" as a sub-specialty now it seems.
    I strongly suspect this is because it a lucrative field.

I was so suspicious of the "doom and gloom" I heard from my first doctor that I had the test repeated at another place.

The results were similar. I am "border line" and since the insurance paid for it, I now have one.
    I didn't have symptoms before.......and still don't.

Spyder Garage

My current machine is a ResMed A10 w/humidifier and heated hose. (1) It keeps me asleep all night, lowers my apnea events. (2) Able to easily retrieve my nightly data if I so choose. It’s with me wherever I go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Some of both, I think.

In my area, all kinds of Doctors have "sleep apnea" as a sub-specialty now it seems.
    I strongly suspect this is because it a lucrative field.

I was so suspicious of the "doom and gloom" I heard from my first doctor that I had the test repeated at another place.

The results were similar. I am "border line" and since the insurance paid for it, I now have one.
    I didn't have symptoms before.......and still don't.
    Do you feel any better? I think my wife sleeps more soundly now then before.....i know cause i am such a little sleeper i hear the furnace/AC cycling on.....maybe I need the machine LOL. FWIW wife bought a ResMed Mini because we travel a lot and doesn’t require water but is limited to styles of masks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you feel any better?
    No. No difference.
    I might get up during the night one time less......but there are other factors at work there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    I just migrated from a Respironics C-Flex CPAP to a ResMed S-10 BiPaP. Medicare pays the bill for the machine and consumables.
    The sleep study defines the pressure settings needed to create the proper Oxygen saturation for your specific needs.
    I'm a mouth breather so I use a full face mask. With the proper setting the results are amazing. The S10 is very quiet.
    I built a battery pack and take the BiPaP camping. The machine takes up very little space in the tail box on my Spyder.
    Haze, how do you pack your CPAP when riding?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BearX16 View Post
    I put it in it's travel bag that it came with and strap it to the rack on the trunk. I buy some bottled water to fill it with as I need it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have the same machine as you do and in its travel case fits nicely in my left saddlebag. There is room inboard of the travel case so I've put three pieces of Velcro on the inside wall of the saddlebag and stick three 20 oz bottles of distilled water in with the machine. That gives me six days of travel before I have to resupply the DW.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I absolutely love my CPAP. I was stopping breathing 70 times an hour and was tired all of the time and angry quite a bit. The VA issued me one and with this newest one I can check all of the stats on it on my phone. If they handed her one, let her try it and see how it works. It changes your mood for the better and the quality of life is just worth it.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have the same machine as you do and in its travel case fits nicely in my left saddlebag. There is room inboard of the travel case so I've put three pieces of Velcro on the inside wall of the saddlebag and stick three 20 oz bottles of distilled water in with the machine. That gives me six days of travel before I have to resupply the DW.
    Thanks, I didn’t realize the side bags were that big. Welcome home!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I didn’t realize the side bags were that big. Welcome home!
    It's a tight fit but not so that I fear any damage to the machine as the case padding is pretty decent. Thank you; was a lifer so I took the good with the bad.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am very comfortable with my CPAP and when I got it, I was told it would be my life long companion. I have no problem with that. I sleep so much better and I would never be without it. Here is where I have a problem. I NEED to go to the DR. every year in order to continue to get Medicare benefits for supplies. The DR. is required to renew my CPAP prescription each year. Having said that, my sleep report is available to him online. I was at the DRs office yesterday for my yearly visit. He had my yearly sleep report in hand. Looked at me, asked how it was going, did I need anything?, etc, etc. While I was in the room he emailed my new yearly prescription to the supplier. What a TOTAL WASTE of time. There were no questions that could not have been answered on the phone or by email. I had to take my time and the DRs time to personally visit with each other for absolutely no good reason. If I were having any problems, I could call and get an appointment. If the DR sees I am having any problems when viewing my sleep report, he can call me in. Our health care system is in shambles and no wonder it costs so much. I see no reason the DR cannot just review my sleep report, send me an email to make sure all is OK and then just email my prescription in for another year. Wasted time, wasted money..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I NEED to go to the DR. every year in order to continue to get Medicare benefits for supplies. The DR. is required to renew my CPAP prescription each year. ........ I see no reason the DR cannot just review my sleep report, send me an email to make sure all is OK and then just email my prescription in for another year. Wasted time, wasted money..... Jim
    CPAP is in the category Durable Medical Equipment. That aspect of Medicare coverage has been subject to horrendous levels of fraud. To try to counteract that Medicare requires physicians to physically interact with the patient. One set of rules for all DME coverage. To slice out exceptions and variations would lead to a mess. Medicare is constantly trying to balance efficiency and fraud prevention. Patients like us get caught in the middle.

Also, to my knowledge FDA rules prohibit ANY prescription being issued without a direct contact between patient and doctor.

One of the major issues CPAP users complain about, as posted on cpaptalk.com, is the fact that doctors provide very little direct support for CPAP patients. Many make adjustments in the CPAP settings for themselves based on what they see in the data from their machine.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I made a tail box for the bike from a hard shell carry box for a drone.
    Similar to this box but a bit larger.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HardShell...lack/559213642

It mounts flat to the sports rack. I carry the CPAP, Hose, Mask and an AC power brick in
    the box when motel traveling. I swap the power brick for a 12V 17Ah battery when tent camping.
    The battery fits in the box with the CPAP. I also carry a converter to run the CPAP from a battery.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see no reason the DR cannot just review my sleep report, send me an email to make sure all is OK and then just email my prescription in for another year. Wasted time, wasted money..... Jim
    Is this the same doctor that you see for other things ?
    If not, you should inquire of your primary care doctor if he can take over your CPAP care. Many will.

Then......there often is a big advantage to seeing your "regular doctor" at least once a year.
    If you only go in when you are "sick", your next illness might put you in the morgue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Also, to my knowledge FDA rules prohibit ANY prescription being issued without a direct contact between patient and doctor.
    Nope. Not even close.

Spyder Garage

Nope. Not even close.
    Well, I'm not as far off as you might want to think I am. It is a state level controlled requirement, not FDA. Forty-one states and D.C. have laws of some sort requiring contact before issuing a prescription. Here's a CDC document explaining what and where the rules are. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...p1x1H8Ub4MBkYM

The OP probably needs to take his argument to the state legislature or Medical Control Board, not his doctor. I didn't check the document for the rules of his state.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Is this the same doctor that you see for other things ?
    If not, you should inquire of your primary care doctor if he can take over your CPAP care. Many will.

Then......there often is a big advantage to seeing your "regular doctor" at least once a year.
    If you only go in when you are "sick", your next illness might put you in the morgue.
    That is a GREAT idea. My CPAP Dr. is not the same as my regular one. I see my regular Dr. yearly for my routine check up. I will see if he can take over duties from the CPAP guy (who I don't like very much anyway). Thanks for the suggestion..... Jim

Update. I just contacted my primary doctor. They can and will take over my CPAP care. That means not only saving in time for me but overall savings for my health care expense. A BIG thank you to IMS and Easy Rider for your knowledge and suggestions. I hope others will benefit from this useful information too...... Jim
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-13-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Update.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

. have laws of some sort requiring contact before issuing a prescription.
    Is the requirement for "face to face" contact.....in person ??
    Which is what your original claim kind of implied.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A BIG thank you to IMS and Easy Rider for your knowledge and suggestions. I hope others will benefit from this useful information too...... Jim
    Glad I could be of some help.
    Thank you for actually reading and thinking about the responses that you get.

I changed CPAP doctors once too; I didn't like my first guy much either.

Spyder Garage

Is the requirement for "face to face" contact.....in person ??
    Which is what your original claim kind of implied.
    That's what I thought was required but the CDC document indicates differently. From what I read in the first part of the doc the requirement can vary state by state.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea in 1999 and started wearing a CPAP. Insurance did not cover the test or the machine at that time. I felt the difference in a few days and can no longer sleep without one. I have been retested at least twice since the original test with a continuing sleep apnea diagnosis. I never had any trouble wearing a mask. My tests were all done in a hospital in a sleep clinic by trained sleep technicians. If you are not sure of your wife's results then get a second opinion. Always a good idea. I don't think I would be alive today if I didn't have my CPAP machine.
    Couldn't agree more. 7 years with mine and wouldn't be without it. It goes with me everywhere. Fits in left 'saddlebag'. Powered by separate battery on the camping trailer.

Battery box on Lees-Ure Lite 2.jpg CPAP in saddlebag.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum