Spyder Garage

Default Crutch holders, leg rest, other mods

Been working out the best way to carry crutches and a few other modifications for the Spyder. Before the Spyder I was riding a modified 01 Harley Sportster trike with crutch holders and other modifications.

Just finished putting the crutch holders and leg rest on the Spyder. My left leg is amputated at the knee and I can no longer wear a prosthetic leg due to bone growths and scar tissue. I walk with a full length crutches and need them where they can be quickly locked to the bike or removed for use.

On the front I removed the foot peg from the left side and used the peg mount to hold the lower crutch holders. I realize this would not work for everyone, but I have no left foot, so no need for a left foot peg. Crutch tips slip into the tubes bolted to the peg mount.

It is just some pieces of stainless steel tubing. Some of the older ones were made from muffler pipe. Made these with stainless. They don't rust and can be polished or painted.

Upper brackets have a Koplin Clamp bolted to the stub outs for the passenger grab rail. The mounts are behind the grab rail and do not interfere with it. Also added some loops to hold bungee cords since the places to tie anything down on the Spyder are very limited.

Very simple and easy.......... just slip the crutch tips in the tubes and lock the tops in the Koplin Clamp

I also realize that not everyone has the tools and equipment to do metal work, but it is always possible to take a picture or drawing to a welding shop and have it done.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Leg rest to keep the stump of my left leg from just hanging was added also. The leg rest makes it easier to stay balanced and keeps the legs from getting cramps from just hanging and bouncing around on longer rides.

Base plate is just cut from the door of an old electrical box that was on my scrap pile. I split a piece of PVC tubing and glued it to the sharp edges of the base plate, to keep the edges from cutting into the leather cover when that is put on later.

A mounting plate is bolted to the bottom and it is covered with leather. Top side has 1 inch thick jell padding and a piece of 2 inch thick memory foam put on it with contact cement.

Just some sheet leather from Tandy cut and fitted over the foam. I put a basket weave pattern on it, but that is not necessary.

It is mounted to the left side 2 inch tube with a stainless steel muffler clamp, intended to join 2 pieces of muffler pipe, but strong enough to clamp a leg rest on the Spyder tube. The smaller brackets were just cut from stainless steel and drilled to fit. You do not have to make the brackets from stainless. I do it to stop any possibility of rusting and keep it clean looking.

You also would not need to put the extra plate on the mount, but it does give you some adjustment to the angle and height of the pad.

I do not build these to sell. I am retired and have no intention of getting involved in any business. I built this for my own use.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Well done... there is an enabled spyderlovers forum where many such mods appear. Not making them for sale is the norm but having the pictures and spec's help those that are looking for such solutions. congrats on getting your ryde set up for you.... enjoy
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Well done... there is an enabled spyderlovers forum where many such mods appear. Not making them for sale is the norm but having the pictures and spec's help those that are looking for such solutions. congrats on getting your ryde set up for you.... enjoy

Yep, that is the forum I posted it on.

Spyder Garage

I don't need these mods but I thank you for the info and the clear photos, I'm sure this will be useful to others on this forum!
    Thanks!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
    in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming

"WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a job well done. Dale

Spyder Garage

If there's a will there's a way!!! Rock on my friend!! Good job!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Gwolf, nice job. I too am an AKA left leg but am fortunate enough to be able to wear the prosthesis. I Ryde a RT Ltd. and will file this away for the future if necessary.. Ryde safely my friend...

Spyder Garage

No logo knee grip pads.......... made for Honda CB500, but good fit on F3 Spyder. Protect the sides of tank from scuffs and get better grip with your knees. Around $15.......... Amazon, Ebay, just use google. Come with zero instructions. Not difficult to figure out. Clean area well with grease and tar remover. Clean any residue off with iso - alcohol. Let dry. Peel the side of the 3M sticky pad that goes against the rubber first and apply to the rubber pad. Cut off any overlap with utility knife before sticking to the tank. Next peel the cover from the tank side of the 3M adhesive and stick it on the side of the tank. Careful about alignment......... not going to get a second shot at it.

May or may not need these if you have two feet on the foot pegs, but when one or both legs are missing they will help grip the slick sides of the tank for some aggressive riding.

Spyder Garage

Great stuff, Gwolf...thanks for sharing! Ryde on...ryde safe!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    No logo knee grip pads.......... made for Honda CB500, but good fit on F3 Spyder. Protect the sides of tank from scuffs and get better grip with your knees. Around $15.......... Amazon, Ebay, just use google. Come with zero instructions. Not difficult to figure out. Clean area well with grease and tar remover. Clean any residue off with iso - alcohol. Let dry. Peel the side of the 3M sticky pad that goes against the rubber first and apply to the rubber pad. Cut off any overlap with utility knife before sticking to the tank. Next peel the cover from the tank side of the 3M adhesive and stick it on the side of the tank. Careful about alignment......... not going to get a second shot at it.

May or may not need these if you have two feet on the foot pegs, but when one or both legs are missing they will help grip the slick sides of the tank for some aggressive riding.

And they look good too.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5