Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Whining Sound At 50mph ???

On my 2018 RT Limited with 400 miles on it I have a loud whining sound at 49 mph to 51 mph. The sound stays the same wether I’m I’m 5th or 6th gear, so it does not seem rpm related. Any idea where the sound is coming from and how to fix it.

Jim
    ND

Spyder Garage

Have you checked your tires for odd wear patterns & also taken the front wheels off so you can properly check the wheels - tires, rims, & the wheel wells for any signs of anything touching or scraping.... and while you're in there, you can have a really good look at the brakes for wear or anything sticking or scraping?!? If your noise is something related to road speed & not engine revs, then it's probably going to be running gear &/or the driveline anywhere from the road surface back up the driveline as far as the front sprocket.....

Or, seeing as it's still under warranty, you could take it back to your Dealer & get it sorted/fixed?! Yeah, right!

Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2019 at 07:00 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Time for a dealer warranty visit.
    Could just be a belt "vibration" but something could be rubbing that shouldn't be too.
    I think you should NOT ride it a lot.....at any speed......until you find out what it is.

Spyder Garage

Dealer is 260 miles from me one way. I need to figure this out will check belt tension next week. What should it be set at? Also will check front and back sprocket. I’m starting to think it’s the tire. Does any one think it could be the tire? I’m going to the three wheel rally in Deadwod . Maybe I should put on a new rear tire as I thing the noise is in the rear ?

Jim

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With a new bike I would let the dealer look at it. If you think its the back wheel then its probably belt alinement or rear brake adjustment issue, I wouldn't think the tire is the issue. Could just be a bad bearing. you only have 400 miles on it. so a bearing could be defective.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 05-31-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I sure got a good laugh out of these replies to start the day.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

replace the chinese 6205 wheel bearings. 2 of them with...
    https://www.amazon.com/NTN-Bearing-6.../dp/B010SDO5ZO

Spyder Garage

Supercharger or straight cut gear whine????
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I get a winning in 5th at about 40MPH all other gears fine. I wonder if 5th and 6th are a straight cut gear in the trany? Straight cut gears canbe known to whine. I'm assuming even the SE6 uses gears and electro clutch plates. Just a thought. Other thoughts please.

Spyder Garage

I won't take a stab at the whine because I have no WAG as to cause. If you are going to the Deadwood rally make an appointment to have Joe and Ann Meyer of Squared Away check your alignment. There's no charge if it's in alignment but if out, it will be the best investment you've made to date and their price is very reasonable.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Could very well be the bearing. They are not expensive so its worth the try and if nothing else its a up grade. Now is there a video or instructions some place that would allow me to do it my self? Also all the wheels have a lot of wheel weights on them 6 and 7 on all wheels so I will get them rebalanced if I can find some shop to do it. What I’m doing may or may not fix the problem but at least I’m trying.

Jim

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

6 or 7 wheel weights is not much. The newer wheel weights are lighter smaller. You can check a lot of things out if you can get the bike on jack stands and look at some of the things suggested. With the bike on jack stands you can turn the back wheel to see the belt alinement and if there is any rubbing on the rear brake pads, listen for any noise as you turn the wheel, tire wear pattern if any. I like to lightly rub my hand around the tire to feel for lumps bumps ect. Do the same in the front look for rubs and brake pads. Again with only 400 miles it should be a dealer issue. Drive it and see if you can pin point where you think the noise coming from.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Default Try This....

If there is no vibration then you can eliminate many things suggested. There used to be issues that were resolve by putting a pea size spot of grease on the rear sprocket and letting the belt spead that through out the splines front and back with a quick ryde. Being that you have pretty low mileage you may give it a bit more time for things to settle in and see if things change. Belt alignment is another place to check as sometimes when to tight to the sprocket flange may cause some noise....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Will definitely have Joe and Ann do a Alignment for me at at the Deadwood 3 wheel rally.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I hear Transmission gear whine at some speeds. could that be what you're hearing?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I hear Transmission gear whine at some speeds. could that be what you're hearing?
    I also have a "whining" noise (2018 F3L) that is rpm related. When accelerating past 3000 rpm I start to hear it. When I upshift and rpm's drop it goes away until once again I hit 3000. It does sound like a "gear" whine.
    Did not have this noise on 3 previous Spyders.

Spyder Garage

I Hear so many noises from mine that i've given up listening, annoyingly is a squeaking sound.

A mate of mine has the same on his Spyder, so may be common i'll get the dealer to look!

Spyder Garage

it`s a old Spyder problem - comes from the belt..
    May be a tensioner will help..

Reiner
    2014 STS SE5 , circuit yellow (metallic)

Spyder Garage

I used to have a whining sound coming from the rear and then I started leaving her home and the sound went away.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I used to have a whining sound coming from the rear and then I started leaving her home and the sound went away.
    Good thing you are in Florida. At least you won't get cold sleeping in your car

My 2015 RT just about drives me crazy in the 50 to 55 MPH zone. Mine is a combination of gear whine, belt noise, and tire noise. Above and below those speeds it isn't too bad. 25,000 miles and nothing has blown up or fell off so I just ride it. The car tires only talk to me on certain road surfaces so that isn't always an issue. The transmission gear whine is the prominent noise. My Yamaha T-Max scooter has a bit of belt noise at a certain speed and it sounds just like the belt noise on the Spyder.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I'am with Airborne on this one, new day new noise. When the part falls off I guess you will know.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    That really made me LOL. It's really hard to concentrate on the twisties while wifeys helmet is banging on the back of mine while she's sleeping back there.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

It could be belt noise..On my F3-S I had a consistent whine at 40-42 MPH . I lowered the belt tension, installed a vibration damper/tensioner and no more whine or vibrations. I personally think BRP calls for way too much tension on the belt. It should be loose enough to not make noise and only tight enough to eliminate slop. I feel that BRP's tight belt requirements are wrong. Their extreme belt tightness, especially on units 2013 and newer, may be causing drive sprocket failure as well.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

I've noticed some whining type noise on my '18 F3L but it is greatly dependent on which helmet I am wearing. I believe it is just one of many noises this machine makes. It isn't quiet by any means, I chose to ignore it.

My tinnitus is more annoying than gear whine.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    and only tight enough to eliminate slop.
    Sounds to me like you are going to far the other way.
    Drive belts wear faster if too loose......and sometimes can suddenly fail by chewing off "teeth".

While I agree that the BRP specs are unnecessarily tight, I think that a good setting still feels pretty tight......gauged by feel.