Spyder Garage

Default Garmin voice intermittent through Sena SM10

Hope this is the correct place to ask about this. Have new Garmin 595 installed on 2014 Rt by dealer (replaced 665 that died)....have similar problem with this GPS as with old one: Voice directions from GPS sometimes works, sometimes does not...and when it does it is often distorted. I have SM10 installed in back trunk using Motorcycle Dave's custom bt wire and Sena 20S EVO headset. Drove me nuts on vacation this year

Testing I have:
    AM/FM radio from Spyder comes through SM10 to headset loud and clear.. and consistently
    595 blue tooth paired directly with headset - voice commands - loud, clear and consistent
    595 tested in auto with auto mount - voice clear and consistent = (I think) no issue with unit itself
    Old unit vs new: Since I have had same issue with both units, and since mount and wiring was replaced with new unit, I am assuming that cycle mount and wiring is good.

Question: Can Dave's custom wire be culprit? Or is that also connecting am/fm radio to SM10? If so, since radio works fine, that is not issue.

What am I missing? Connector somewhere? The connector going into Dave's custom wire?

I wanted to be able to replace the lost xm (in the 665) with a "roady" type set up.. which is why I want to keep the SM10... but the GPS is most important at this point.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I would call Dave directly and ask him if he can check your wire set for you or if he can tell how to check it yourself. Thank you for posting the diagnostics you have already done as that will help others in helping you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should be able to pair your Garmin 595 with the sena 20s with out using the sm10. Try it with out the sm10 on and no music, pair the 595 with the Garmin and see if that works. If that works then try adding your sm10 with an FM music see if that works or you get problems.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Good thought. It is just mystifying why a direct connection to the SM10 can cause me so much trouble...