Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I can order from my local auto parts store and get parts over night,why can BRP not do this ?
    It's called market volume. Years ago when I lived and had a print shop in McCall, ID, two couples from California moved up there. They set up a bakery/deli. One of the owners was complaining that they could not get good sourdough bread in McCall like they were used to in San Francisco. The reason they could get it in San Francisco, and not in McCall, was exactly the same reason they left California - population density! The overall market for all things related to Can Am Spyders is small compared to most all other vehicles, be it motorcycles or cars. When you have to have a scale of operations that is profitable serving a small market, massive amounts of stocked parts isn't part of the picture. Your local auto parts store isn't buying just one or two parts for one or two customers every day. They're buying dozens of parts for dozens of customers and sharing transportation costs with every other store in the area. The Spyder service market doesn't fit that mold.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    And you don't think that Ford, GM, Volvo, Lexus, and so on, do the same? Especially with their newer cars with advanced electronics.
    NO I don't. You can go to ANY shop, auto parts store, etc and they have the ability to check engine light for codes. Not so with BRP products. There are plenty of independent shops who can and WILL work on Fords, GMs, Volvos, Lexus, and so on. Lots of independent shops for metric bikes, HDs, Vtwin, etc. NOT so for BRP products. If there is an independent shop that would even look at a Spyder, I would give them my business. BRP is so unique and secretive about their BUDS system that no one seems to be willing to spring for the expense and training necessary to accommodate customers...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    NO I don't. You can go to ANY shop, auto parts store, etc and they have the ability to check engine light for codes. Not so with BRP products. There are plenty of independent shops who can and WILL work on Fords, GMs, Volvos, Lexus, and so on.
    Unless things have changed in the past few years everyone could read codes on any car that are related to emissions. But there have been many codes the shop had to have a dealer's system to read and interpret because they are proprietary codes not related to emissions. In fact, Spyder codes we can read that are related to emissions are the same codes as for cars.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

BRP is so unique and secretive about their BUDS system that no one seems to be willing to spring for the expense and training necessary to accommodate customers...... Jim
    You sure it isn't market volume that is the primary inhibitor? Cruzr Joe has and uses BUDS as do Joe & Ann Meyers, and they aren't dealers. Cruzr Joe is connected to a dealership though.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Personally, I think there are systems available to BRP that could ease the problems with parts distribution. I had a Ural sidecar outfit for a couple years. By industry standards Ural is a very tiny company, selling 600 - 800 units in the U.S. annually. But their dealers have access to a networking system where they are able to access parts inventory from other dealers nationwide. So if they don't have the part they need for a repair, they are able to see (online) who does, and have it shipped from that dealer. Also, The American importer / business partner in Washington stocks nearly every part for every model made. Granted, Urals are much simpler machines with smaller parts counts, but they have a system to support dealers.

I think if each BRP Spyder dealer was given a unique list of mandatory parts to stock, and if the total inventory lists nationwide included nearly every part for every model of Spyder, this would form a national network where each dealer would have access to the nationwide dealer inventory, and parts could be ordered as needed from the stocking dealer. In such a scenario, delivery times should average 5-7 days.

Spyder Garage

Just had to say. All very good points! Hope things improve!

Iwonder if BRP wonders how many sales they may miss by there System's poor performance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It's called market volume.
    That only applies to the local dealer and his stock of parts.

When it comes to BRP, it is just penny pinching.....at the expense of good customer service.

Except for cost, there is NO reason that BRP could not ship parts that they have in stock via "overnight" or "second day".
    They just don't understand good customer service. There is a MOUNTAIN of other evidence to support that.

Alas, a lot of big companies are like that these days.

Spyder Garage

It's not a BRP "system" issue. You should try owning a boat or helicopter. Almost all trikes are harder to get serviced and repaired than a Spyder. Maybe you just don't want to own anything exotic or high-tech?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    It's not a BRP "system" issue. You should try owning a boat or helicopter. Almost all trikes are harder to get serviced and repaired than a Spyder. Maybe you just don't want to own anything exotic or high-tech?
    I've owned boats my entire life. Raced hydroplanes. Have had everything from 8' Hydros to 45' twin diesel cruiser. Never experienced anything remotely as ridiculous as this Spyder repair process. And, there is a good Honda dealer here, Western Honda, that does a lot of trike conversions (and service) as well as D & D Discount. They are an independent shop that also does many trike conversions, repairs, service. Then there is American Trike & Bike. Another independent that will do service and trike conversions. That's 3 shops all within 20 mile of where I live. And NONE of them will even look at a Spyder. I'am done with my rant. My points have been clearly stated. Over and OUT..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I can sympathize with you! I don't own a Spyder. But, in a sense, something much worse happened to me because of a 'business' model. I have a large 3-axis CNC router I use to make composite patterns, etc. I bought it used, but it had very few hours on it. A 'hangar queen,' so to speak.

Well, it had a problem that took me forever to diagnose. The machine uses TEKNIC 'drives,' industrial computers in a box that drive the servos. Each servo, there are 4, has a drive. The drives are identical except for the parameters which are unique for each servo.

To make a long, VERY LONG, story short, when the control system sent commands to all three axis (four drives), apparently the signal power was below a degrading threshold on the X-Axis drive. So, move three axis at once, and you would get an error in the X-Axis. Typically, the X-axis moved too far.

Move any two axes, including X, and everything worked great!

So, once I diagnosed it, I tried to buy a new drive from TEKNIC. Humm, they made a business decision around 2000 to not deal directly with the end user!! All service work, questions, etc. had to go through the OEM.

My OEM is a small company, CNT MOTION in the Pittsburg area. CNT did not have much time to help, unless I brought one of their CNC tech to Wichita for a few days to trouble shoot the problem, order parts, etc. Well, that was not going to happen! They do not have trained service techs anywhere but their shop.

I finally got it fixed. Works great now. But, I will NEVER buy anything that has TEKNIC part in it again! And, no more CNT Motion equipment, either.

Now here is the fun part: TEKNIC came out with a new line of servos with built in drives. They are called 'Clear Path.' These are very affordable units and, for this product line, they will deal directly with the end user!!!

Their website:

https://www.teknic.com/

Thanks for letting me rant.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see a lot of reasons here why BRP can't get parts shipped in a timely manner, taking a long time for shops to fix, or not fix a problem. Seems to me this is BRP's problem to 'fix' a systemic problem only they can fix. I know BRP is a huge company with people that can fix the problem, but maybe that is the problem, the company is so big that it is not manageable. BRP seems to build a good product with a production to fill all needs, but consider how successful General Electric was at one time but not managed well, GE is about a $9 stock now. If buyers over time loose confidence in a product for for whatever reason, that is not good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

By way of comparison this is lifted from Ducati information.................

''One of Ducati’s main goals is to offer every Ducatista the chance to enjoy unlimited and safe travel all over the world. To achieve this aim, Ducati offers a “fast delivery” original spares service, with delivery in 24/48 hours across 85% of the areas in which it operates. With a distribution network that covers more than 90 countries, thanks to 783 official Dealers and Service Points, choosing a Ducati means you can travel worry-free and in total freedom, wherever the road may take you, and count on capillary support that ensures Ducati quality and professionalism is always close at hand.''

Not sure how it works in practise and it may incur extra costs but at least its available.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    By way of comparison this is lifted from Ducati information.................

''One of Ducati’s main goals is to offer every Ducatista the chance to enjoy unlimited and safe travel all over the world. To achieve this aim, Ducati offers a “fast delivery” original spares service, with delivery in 24/48 hours across 85% of the areas in which it operates. With a distribution network that covers more than 90 countries, thanks to 783 official Dealers and Service Points, choosing a Ducati means you can travel worry-free and in total freedom, wherever the road may take you, and count on capillary support that ensures Ducati quality and professionalism is always close at hand.''

Not sure how it works in practise and it may incur extra costs but at least its available.
    I'd be willing to pay an annual fee to gain access to a customer-centric service system. The Spyder is an expensive TOURING bike, for ***** sake!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Just had to say. All very good points! Hope things improve!

Iwonder if BRP wonders how many sales they may miss by there System's poor performance.

They don't care - they have a captive market.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

I dunno...

I just ordered a driver back rest online from BRP on Sunday evening, picked it up from the dealer on Thursday. 3-4 days has been avg for as long as I can remember buying parts for MC's.

Spyder Garage

After reading all the posts in this thread, I wonder if SOME of delay is because of shipping internationally and dealing with the issues of customs etc. I certainly understand the frustrations of all because the Ryde is out of commission, but...maybe, just maybe BRP can do something with customs to streamline the process. Perhaps a US based parts depot would help, then overnight or 2 day delivery may be possible...just sayin and my 2 cents...Ryde safely!

Spyder Garage

One consideration before buying any piece of equipment is service. I am limited to a 3 wheeler, so my choices are more limited than most. There are only 2 kinds of machines on this planet, those that have failed and those that will fail at some indeterminate time in the future. In most of the USA, if you ride a Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki and break down away from your hometown dealer, there's more than likely a dealer for your brand within 100 or so miles, with parts very readily available. Other brands aren't represented so well, dealers being fewer and farther between. I gave long and hard consideration before I took the plunge to all the negative press the Spyder gets as far as waiting on parts, and lack of servicing dealers. The Y trike stability model was the major swing vote for me, and for some reason through all the issues so far I still can't stop grinning.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cleg View Post
    After reading all the posts in this thread, I wonder if SOME of delay is because of shipping internationally and dealing with the issues of customs etc. I certainly understand the frustrations of all because the Ryde is out of commission, but...maybe, just maybe BRP can do something with customs to streamline the process. Perhaps a US based parts depot would help, then overnight or 2 day delivery may be possible...just sayin and my 2 cents...Ryde safely!
    It is the same sh@t to get parts here in Canada ,and i live very close to the Quebec boarder .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I've owned boats my entire life. Raced hydroplanes. Have had everything from 8' Hydros to 45' twin diesel cruiser. Never experienced anything remotely as ridiculous as this Spyder repair process. And, there is a good Honda dealer here, Western Honda, that does a lot of trike conversions (and service) as well as D & D Discount. They are an independent shop that also does many trike conversions, repairs, service. Then there is American Trike & Bike. Another independent that will do service and trike conversions. That's 3 shops all within 20 mile of where I live. And NONE of them will even look at a Spyder. I'am done with my rant. My points have been clearly stated. Over and OUT..... Jim
    Sounds like you have several viable options. The whole idea is these things are supposed to be fun. Good luck.