Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Does it happen at all speeds ? The vibration? Even at idle?
    No, it starts around 45-50Mph.
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

May want to try new front tires. But that's up to you. As you know most dont like the stock tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is vibration in the handlebars normal? No, it's not. Check front tire condition and/or balance.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Or get the dealer to put new ones on under warranty?? Can always try to balance first.

Spyder Garage

My F3 Limited bars started flopping like a fish out of water at about 54 mph on Monday, and I can ride out of it at about 70 mph. Strange how the vibration just started after a roadside break, 2,000 miles on the machine.............taking the wheels to get balanced Friday.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

They put the belt tensioner on it, but still vibrating after 45mph. Gotta take it back. UGH.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HAve the tires or wheels been replaced or balanced?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    HAve the tires or wheels been replaced or balanced?
    Nope.... that is next. For some reason the shop was really hesitant to balance the wheels. BUT I plan on making them do it this time.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    Nope.... that is next. For some reason the shop was really hesitant to balance the wheels. BUT I plan on making them do it this time.
    May even have to replace the stock tires. Would have been cheaper to balance them first before a tensioner.

Well anyway good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I had a 2016 RT Limited that did the same thing! I carried it to two dealers and neither one of them could fix it! I order two front tires like the one's Spyder Ann uses and had them put on my front rims at a tire store and had them "Trued" and then balanced! Problem solved! The word 'Trued" means when they spin them and cut off the unlevel places on the tire! You will have to search for a car tire store that has a machine to "True" them! Most normal car tire stores do not have one! Look for an older tire store that has been in business for several years! Don't worry about the rubber they shave off! "A trued tire would last for more miles than a normal tire"!
    This should solve your problem and you will enjoy your Spyder!

Spyder Garage

You shouldn't have to true tyres nowadays. Whilst it's possible to get a faulty tyre, it's rare. If they show an out of round or a wobble they are likely not properly fitted up onto the rims. They need braking off the rim, lubricating and reseating. There is a small molded line around the tyre close to the bead which is a marker for correct mounting. The molded line should be equidistant from the wheel rim all the way around the tyre. If that line is correct and the tyre wobbles noticeably it has a fault. As a guide, 1/16" or 1.6mm is about the maximum runout that can be expected.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Ride a hard mount EVO Harley for 25 years and you will discover the Spyder has no noticeable handlebar vibration.
    I rode a '79 Shovelhead for 19 years.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    You shouldn't have to true tyres nowadays. Whilst it's possible to get a faulty tyre, it's rare. If they show an out of round or a wobble they are likely not properly fitted up onto the rims. They need braking off the rim, lubricating and reseating. There is a small molded line around the tyre close to the bead which is a marker for correct mounting. The molded line should be equidistant from the wheel rim all the way around the tyre. If that line is correct and the tyre wobbles noticeably it has a fault. As a guide, 1/16" or 1.6mm is about the maximum runout that can be expected.
    " faulty tire - it's rare " ..... not if it's a Kenda ..... they have have the Worst Defect rate of any major tire maker I have ever seen ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

My Spyder rides soo smoothly I almost fall asleep, except on Oklahoma roads .
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RT LTD with almost 4000 miles on it. I have had it since it had 1350 miles on it. The handlebars have always vibrated while riding. Is some vibration expected? I can take my hands off the handlebars at speed and she goes almost dead straight, so I don't think it's an alignment issue, but wonder if some vibration is normal.
    The Slingmod chrome bar ends made a great difference in my 2014 RTL . only $23 and simple to install. Look good too. check it out: https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spyder-bar-ends

Spyder Garage

I am new to spyder world. I bought a 2018 f3 L in June and have a few different vibrations. one as mentioned above is about 72 mph, which I have grown used to (but of course would rather not have). number 2 makes it difficult to use my mirrors because they blur sometimes at speed. The 3rd vibrates my hands (more right than left, and occasionally makes my fingers go numb. Thank God for cruise control so I can take my hand off and shake out. Has anyone else had this problem? any suggestions? I thought about the belt tensioner listed on the home page but wanted to check with the "experts" who have been spyder riders a lot longer than me.
    Last edited by bobw207; 09-09-2020 at 05:44 PM. Reason: change wording

Spyder Garage

Yesterday, while riding my 2021 RT SE6 on the interstate, as I accelerated from 60 mph, when the Scoot reached 63 mph, the handlebars started to 'Wobble' and the situation didn't go away until 68 mph, when it smoothed out completely! The Scoot had NEVER done this before???

The Unit only has 2,500+- miles since new and just had the First Maintenance service performed at my Selling Dealership, in Frontenac, Kansas, less than 200 miles ago but I didn't notice the 'wobble,' because I ride mostly Rural country roads @ 50 to 55 mph as I like to take it easy and smell the roses!

I also noticed that the Unit seemed to 'wander' a bit and it never did before that service?

Could the Dealer have over tightened the front rims, distorting/ bending the Rotors, which has been an issue if a Torque wrench isn't used!

I haven't checked anything yet but will soon. I hadn't ridden it for a couple of months because we have had 90 to 100 degree weather every day in SW Missouri and I don't do heat well anymore at my age!

I'd appreciate some advice and comments please.

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

I would check your tire pressure and get it balanced, and see if it goes away.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman 2012 View Post
    Yesterday, while riding my 2021 RT SE6 on the interstate, as I accelerated from 60 mph, when the Scoot reached 63 mph, the handlebars started to 'Wobble' and the situation didn't go away until 68 mph, when it smoothed out completely! The Scoot had NEVER done this before???

The Unit only has 2,500+- miles since new and just had the First Maintenance service performed at my Selling Dealership, in Frontenac, Kansas, less than 200 miles ago but I didn't notice the 'wobble,' because I ride mostly Rural country roads @ 50 to 55 mph as I like to take it easy and smell the roses!

I also noticed that the Unit seemed to 'wander' a bit and it never did before that service?

Could the Dealer have over tightened the front rims, distorting/ bending the Rotors, which has been an issue if a Torque wrench isn't used!

I haven't checked anything yet but will soon. I hadn't ridden it for a couple of months because we have had 90 to 100 degree weather every day in SW Missouri and I don't do heat well anymore at my age!

Sam
    my experience with " wheel imbalance " ( which is felt in handlebars first ) is this .... it starts at about 40 mph and increases the faster you go ..... what you have described leads me to think it's something else ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-20-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow. Hesitant to balance the wheels. ..... But we can fit a tensioner. Dam Cowboys I reckon. What a joke.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman 2012 View Post

Sam
    I just bought a 2022 RTL about a month ago. While driving it home, I noticed that around 57 mph and up, the handle bars would shimmy really hard. For reasons I won't go into now, I didn't take it to the dealer I purchased it from and took it to another dealer for them to check. They determined the tires were out of round from sitting in crate. Two new OEM tires later, no shimmy. The tech indicated they see that problem fairly frequently.
    2018 RT Limited Blue - Wife
    2022 RT Limited Petrol Black Edition - Mine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnut629 View Post
    I just bought a 2022 RTL about a month ago. While driving it home, I noticed that around 57 mph and up, the handle bars would shimmy really hard. For reasons I won't go into now, I didn't take it to the dealer I purchased it from and took it to another dealer for them to check. They determined the tires were out of round from sitting in crate. Two new OEM tires later, no shimmy. The tech indicated they see that problem fairly frequently.
    .... you did ... due diligence ... and got the issue fixed .... I very seriously doubt the " sitting in the crate " thing is valid even for KENDA tires. Unless BRP shipped it with NO air in the tires and I doubt that also ..... The REAL problem the Tech's see ( but won't admit to you ) is Kenda tires are CRAP ..... They have the Highest DEFECT ratio of any tire I have ever heard about ..... for your own knowledge read up on what Peter Aawen ( and I ) have said about the Kenda's ..... ( knowledge is power ) .... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnut629 View Post
    I just got the same shimmy. Didn't notice it for the first 1400 miles or so, then all of a sudden there it was. Starts around 45 and gets worse the faster we ryde. Going to the dealer on the 28th.
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

I get a vibration that I thought was wheels. Then while sitting at a light I took my hands off the handle bar and the vibration was obviously nothing to do with being in motion but rather the engine, which is not unheard of on a 3 cylinder engine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newdave View Post
    I just got the same shimmy. Didn't notice it for the first 1400 miles or so, then all of a sudden there it was. Starts around 45 and gets worse the faster we ryde. Going to the dealer on the 28th.
    I would take a good look inside the front wheels, see if any weights are missing ..... It would be harder to check, but if you still have KENDA tires, one ( or both tho not likely both ) of them may have failed .... Yes I know they are new, but Kenda's are notorious for defective tires .... good luck .... Mike