Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would take a good look inside the front wheels, see if any weights are missing ..... It would be harder to check, but if you still have KENDA tires, one ( or both tho not likely both ) of them may have failed .... Yes I know they are new, but Kenda's are notorious for defective tires .... good luck .... Mike
    Yeah, checked the weights, all good there as far as I can tell. I'm gonna check the runout on the tires/wheels this weekend.

That's what I've seen concerning these Kendas. I'll wait until it's out of warranty before switching though. Until then, BRP better make it good.

Thanks BlueKnight
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

I have the same handlebar shake on my brand new 22 RTL from the first mile! It's at its worst between 55/65 mph. I jacked up the front and spun the front tires next to a straight edge; the right side had an 1/8 in. difference out of round !! Now I'm fighting with the dealer and BRP to get it fixed!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2022 at 05:24 PM. Reason: 's & ' 's %-)
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newdave View Post
    Yeah, checked the weights, all good there as far as I can tell. I'm gonna check the runout on the tires/wheels this weekend.

That's what I've seen concerning these Kendas. I'll wait until it's out of warranty before switching though. Until then, BRP better make it good.

Thanks BlueKnight
    You have a new 22 S2S ..... Those tires should be under WARRANTY, and if Defective should be replaced for FREE ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Reading these posts about new Spyders and even earlier Spyder having vibrations that are not drive belt related, reminds me of one local Spyder owner I helped. After several visits to his dealership, actually a very highly rated and respected dealership, the service department gave up and insisted the vibration was normal. The dealership even refused to work on the issue any further.
    I offered to this owner to bring the Spyder by, as it was most likely improperly balanced front tire(s). Told him, within 15 minutes we would have a pretty good idea of exactly what was causing the vibration.

We planned a day and time. He rode to my house. We chatted a few minutes, followed by me jacking the left front and removing the wheel. Put it on my dynamic balancer and sure enough the dealer had not correctly balanced, or never rebalanced the left front. Forget the exact imbalance, but believe it was about 1 ounce. The right side was checked and was in balance.

Again we chatted. I suggested to him, let me correctly dynamic balance both fronts on my balancer using the finest / race settings. So then, in under 30 minutes, I rebalanced both of his oem Kendas. Obviously, had him go for a test ride. He came back all smiles. While I do not endorse the speed he tested to, suffice to say, it was adequately fast with no vibrations.

That Spyder accomplished a long vacation trip from SoFlo up into the Carolinas. I got a phone call later from a very happy owner, no vibrations to over 100 mph. A few weeks ago, and now more than a year on those fronts, he called and said all is still great.

Still each time I read these vibration topics, it becomes apparent that even good dealers sometimes lack the skills to correctly balance Spyder tires. Even more possible is the shop lacks proper equipment to correctly balance Spyder stuff.

As for checking runouts, you can, but unless the tire has a hop to it, pretty much all but the best high performance tires will show some lateral and vertical runout.

FWIW, our Spyder, when new, had a nasty vibration. Initially I was under the impression it was normal. Within two weeks after purchase, I checked and did a true dynamic balance on our oem fronts. One side was close, the opposite side from oem was 1 1/4 ounces out of balance. Rebalanced both and vibration was gone. Fast forward about 8000 miles, I replaced both oem Kenda front tires with Federal Fomoza high performance car tires. Mounted and balanced them myself. Very, very smooth. Then about a year ago, I bought a used set of Centramatic balancers for the fronts for short money. Suffice to say that quality high performance lightweight car tires, installed and correctly balanced, as if a race tire setup, then have Centramatics as a finishing touch, about the only thing to make it check every box would be to skim the treads.

Correctly balance what you have, even if you pay the money to a tire shop, better still someone or a shop that does race cars.
    Last edited by PMK; 10-17-2022 at 03:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Reading these posts about new Spyders and even earlier Spyder having vibrations that are not drive belt related, reminds me of one local Spyder owner I helped. After several visits to his dealership, actually a very highly rated and respected dealership, the service department gave up and insisted the vibration was normal. The dealership even refused to work on the issue any further.
    I offered to this owner to bring the Spyder by, as it was most likely improperly balanced front tire(s). Told him, within 15 minutes we would have a pretty good idea of exactly what was causing the vibration.

We planned a day and time. He rode to my house. We chatted a few minutes, followed by me jacking the left front and removing the wheel. Put it on my dynamic balancer and sure enough the dealer had not correctly balanced, or never rebalanced the left front. Forget the exact imbalance, but believe it was about 1 ounce. The right side was checked and was in balance.

Again we chatted. I suggested to him, let me correctly dynamic balance both fronts on my balancer using the finest / race settings. So then, in under 30 minutes, I rebalanced both of his oem Kendas. Obviously, had him go for a test ride. He came back all smiles. While I do not endorse the speed he tested to, suffice to say, it was adequately fast with no vibrations.

That Spyder accomplished a long vacation trip from SoFlo up into the Carolinas. I got a phone call later from a very happy owner, no vibrations to over 100 mph. A few weeks ago, and now more than a year on those fronts, he called and said all is still great.

Still each time I read these vibration topics, it becomes apparent that even good dealers sometimes lack the skills to correctly balance Spyder tires. Even more possible is the shop lacks proper equipment to correctly balance Spyder stuff.

As for checking runouts, you can, but unless the tire has a hop to it, pretty much all but the best high performance tires will show some lateral and vertical runout.

FWIW, our Spyder, when new, had a nasty vibration. Initially I was under the impression it was normal. Within two weeks after purchase, I checked and did a true dynamic balance on our oem fronts. One side was close, the opposite side from oem was 1 1/4 ounces out of balance. Rebalanced both and vibration was gone. Fast forward about 8000 miles, I replaced both oem Kenda front tires with Federal Fomoza high performance car tires. Mounted and balanced them myself. Very, very smooth. Then about a year ago, I bought a used set of Centramatic balancers for the fronts for short money. Suffice to say that quality high performance lightweight car tires, installed and correctly balanced, as if a race tire setup, then have Centramatics as a finishing touch, about the only thing to make it check every box would be to skim the treads.

Correctly balance what you have, even if you pay the money to a tire shop, better still someone or a shop that does race cars.
    What's your take on the Centromeric balancers, do you think they are worth the money?? Did you leave your tire weights on with them or did you remove them?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What's your take on the Centromeric balancers, do you think they are worth the money?? Did you leave your tire weights on with them or did you remove them?
    First off, it was pretty much agreed that the smaller size Centramatics are limited to how much imbalance they can control. Therefore, they do work best as a secondary balancing method on properly balanced wheels. So yes, all the weights were retained.

Do they work, the more narrow the rotating disc, the better they will work. So, yes they do work. How effective are they on the front of our Spyder, I had already correctly dynamically balanced our fronts, using weights as needed on each edge of the rim, obtaining balance within 1/10 ounce and no wobble or precession.

Yes, the Centramatics did improve the already good balance work. However, had these two Centramatics not been about 1/2 price, I could do without them. They are not a cure all for improper balance or a bad tire, but can make really good even smoother. Personally, if money is tight skip them, if you want a cool improvement, get the tires well balanced and install Centramatics.

What would be cool if I had time, would be to borrow my friends aircraft prop balancer and measure the Inches Per Second of vibration with and without the Centramatics. Time to do that is the issue though.