Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration in the handlebars normal?

I have a 2016 RT LTD with almost 4000 miles on it. I have had it since it had 1350 miles on it. The handlebars have always vibrated while riding. Is some vibration expected? I can take my hands off the handlebars at speed and she goes almost dead straight, so I don't think it's an alignment issue, but wonder if some vibration is normal.
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you are correct it's not likely to be associated with the Alignment ( unless it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off & you would have other issues ) ….. Vibration in the handlebars is similar to vibes in your car steering wheel ….. One or both of the front wheels/tires are out of balance … when this is the case you will feel it in the handlebars...… If you can take off your front wheels - take them to a place that sells tires and they can balance them for you .….. Mike

Spyder Garage

On my new 2018 RTL I had 3 distinct and different vibrations.

The engine makes a resonance that I feel in the bars, kind of a mild buzz. It may be intake or exhaust resonance, but I consider this normal as it is a fairly high horsepower engine. The engine vibration is stronger with application of throttle.

My belt came way too tight from the dealer, and made a nasty buzz around 70-72 MPH. I lowered the tension of the belt and reduced the speed of the belt vibration to around 50 MPH, but it also softened the vibration harshness. Kind of like plucking a guitar string, looser is lower pitch or something like that. This vibration was more load dependent, occurring on hills or accelerating through the speed it happens at, felt throughout the machine. I installed a Doc Humphreys belt dampener and it almost completely eliminated this vibration, so much so that I can't tell if any is left.

My third vibration came from the tires. One of the OEM Kenda tires wouldn't balance, so I replaced them with suitable car tires. I balanced them myself with a Marc Parnes balance shaft, which doesn't address dynamic balance, only static. While the bike runs pretty darn smooth right now, I've installed the Centramatic wheel balancers, which should finish off the tiny bit of tire shimmy I am experiencing. This vibration can be speed dependent, getting worse in a range of speed. When I had the Kenda imbalance it made the fenders shake and the handlebars shake more than vibrate. The tires don't actually go around that fast, and you can use the frequency of the vibration to kind of pinpoint where it is coming from.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I have to have it inspected in July so I will have them make sure they are balanced. When riding today, i noticed it is more of a buzz then a full fledged vibration, so it might just be normal.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FINFAN3DP View Post
    Thanks guys. I have to have it inspected in July so I will have them make sure they are balanced. When riding today, i noticed it is more of a buzz then a full fledged vibration, so it might just be normal.
    It's only Normal if the wheels / tires are not well balanced …………… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    On my new 2018 RTL I had 3 distinct and different vibrations.

The engine makes a resonance that I feel in the bars, kind of a mild buzz. It may be intake or exhaust resonance, but I consider this normal as it is a fairly high horsepower engine. The engine vibration is stronger with application of throttle.

My belt came way too tight from the dealer, and made a nasty buzz around 70-72 MPH. I lowered the tension of the belt and reduced the speed of the belt vibration to around 50 MPH, but it also softened the vibration harshness. Kind of like plucking a guitar string, looser is lower pitch or something like that. This vibration was more load dependent, occurring on hills or accelerating through the speed it happens at, felt throughout the machine. I installed a Doc Humphreys belt dampener and it almost completely eliminated this vibration, so much so that I can't tell if any is left.

My third vibration came from the tires. One of the OEM Kenda tires wouldn't balance, so I replaced them with suitable car tires. I balanced them myself with a Marc Parnes balance shaft, which doesn't address dynamic balance, only static. While the bike runs pretty darn smooth right now, I've installed the Centramatic wheel balancers, which should finish off the tiny bit of tire shimmy I am experiencing. This vibration can be speed dependent, getting worse in a range of speed. When I had the Kenda imbalance it made the fenders shake and the handlebars shake more than vibrate. The tires don't actually go around that fast, and you can use the frequency of the vibration to kind of pinpoint where it is coming from.
    Late last year I bought a new (2018) RTL, and also noticed vibration in the 70 -75 MPH range. I also noticed the drive belt seemed very tight. However, after more than 5000 miles, the belt has loosened somewhat, and the vibration has subsided. I think the belts are set tight from the factory knowing they will stretch with use.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    Late last year I bought a new (2018) RTL, and also noticed vibration in the 70 -75 MPH range. I also noticed the drive belt seemed very tight. However, after more than 5000 miles, the belt has loosened somewhat, and the vibration has subsided. I think the belts are set tight from the factory knowing they will stretch with use.
    Indeed! Mine was so tight it had the engine slewed. I wonder how many failures are caused by excessive drive belt tension? I'm going to run mine at the very bottom of the allowable range, with a belt vibration dampener, and tighten it as needed. Hopefully I won't have the drive pulley spline failure or other bearing failures.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IF......you rev up the engine a bit while sitting still in Neutral, do you notice the "buzz" in the bars ??

If so, then it very likely is "normal"........and has nothing to do with the wheels, tires or belts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    " Stretching " ???? ……….. I think the belt would have to stretch more than it can to lower bad vibes …… I would be concerned that the rear Axel NUT isn't as tight as it should be ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Most belt issues as well as motor will be more present in the lower area like foot pegs floorboard, seat etc. Most upper area issues are front end related. Being a buzz more that a vibration could be something as simple as overinflated front wheels. Many differences in running car tires and oem tires and cause for many a thread and post here. Don't know what you are running. Remember tires change size and pressure as you ryde along or go through temperature changes in the weather... something easy to check...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    IF......you rev up the engine a bit while sitting still in Neutral, do you notice the "buzz" in the bars ??

If so, then it very likely is "normal"........and has nothing to do with the wheels, tires or belts.
    I agree. The 1330 engine is buzzy by nature at lowish revs. Much more so than the V-twin.

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2015 RTL with only 2500 miles on it and I had a BAD handlebar wobble. Almost like a 2-wheeler death wobble. It would start around 45 mph and got faster in frequency up to around 70 mph. I really hated it and was afraid to go any faster ... or further. So ... I ordered up a pair of Hankook VENTUS V4 ES H105 - SIZE: 175/55R15. Had the dealer mount and balance them, THEN a laser alignment. NEW MACHINE! ! WOW! What a difference. Just incredible the difference. No wobble or vibration at any (ahem ... legal) speed.

JM2C ... But worth every penny.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have an appt on Saturday to get the Bajaron bar put on and they are going to balance the front tires. I'll let everyone know if that makes a difference in the vibration I am feeling.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

I have an appt on Saturday to get the Bajaron bar put on and they are going to balance the front tires. I'll let everyone know if that makes a difference in the vibration I am feeling.
    The sway bar has nothing to do with the Vibration …. tire balance does …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The sway bar has nothing to do with the Vibration …. tire balance does …… Mike
    I meant while it is in there getting the sway bar on, I am going to have them balance the tires. Not that the sway bar had anything to do with it.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

Ride a hard mount EVO Harley for 25 years and you will discover the Spyder has no noticeable handlebar vibration.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Ride a hard mount EVO Harley for 25 years and you will discover the Spyder has no noticeable handlebar vibration.
    None of my Yamahas ever shook like this, that's why I'm thinking the tires need balancing.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Spyder Garage

None of my Yamahas ever shook like this, that's why I'm thinking the tires need balancing.
    There are a lot of possibilities........ tire balancing, tires out of round, bent wheel, bearing going bad, etc.........................
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    There are a lot of possibilities........ tire balancing, tires out of round, bent wheel, bearing going bad, etc.........................
    And because of that, he should ask them to do a THOROUGH tire inspection, not just a simple balance.
    Sometimes they will just do EXACTLY what you tell them to do.......and nothing more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Has the OP ever answered this question ?
    I can't find it.

Spyder Garage

He replied at noon today that he is bringing the Spyder in for a Baja bar install and tire balance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    He replied at noon today that he is bringing the Spyder in for a Baja bar install and tire balance.
    I have him on ignore, so i dont know what he said, but thanks for sticking up for me.

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have him on ignore, so i dont know what he said, but thanks for sticking up for me.
    Perfect. I hope you enjoy spending money that likely will do NOTHING to solve the problem that you are asking about.
    You might have gotten some good advice.......if you weren't so stubborn.

Spyder Garage

Got the bar installed on Saturday.... WOW, WOW, and more WOW! No more darting to the left or right. Really made a big difference you can feel. They couldn't do the tire balance, so bringing it back in July so they can do that, laser alignment, install a tensioner on the belt, and FIX THE DANG CLOCK finally!!

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Showchrome American Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does it happen at all speeds ? The vibration? Even at idle?