Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I am going to go a different direction here. Have you thought about changing the bike you have to be more suitable to the riding you want to do? From your picture I think a better seat and different bars could go a long way towards remedying your problems. Have you tried physical therapy? Or conditioning exercise for your specific problems/riding style? Motorcycling is a sport and you appear to be more into "sport" riding. All sports require some degree of conditioning. As we get older the amount of natural conditioning we have from youth declines and the time for more deliberate conditioning arrives. This can come sooner or later depending on our genes and lifestyle.

Given your reservations, and desires you may not be able modify a Spyder to work the way you want it without throwing massive amounts of money at it, and maybe not even then. I love to ride hard, maybe not as hard as you. I have no desire to lift a wheel, but I did learn how to broadside my previous trike, a Honda conversion. I love my Spyder and love riding it.

BTW I totally agree with your desire to ride more with your Dad. I hope you find a way to make that happen.
    I have thought about that quite a bit. New seat, rearsets, bars, risers (longer cables), and better grips...I just don't want to drop a grand or more into this bike and take the chance of still not being comfortable. Like someone else said, I am rather large and the FZ1 was not quite designed for someone like me in the first place. My shoulder/back issues stem from nearly 15 years on a forklift...not from a lack of conditioning per se.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    To the OP. Curious why you got rid of the Tiger 1050? I know a guy who's about your size and he loves his Tiger because he looks like a circus bear on anything smaller/shorter. Another friend of mine had an FZ1 for years and now rides an F800GS, loves the practicality and *dirt* worthiness of it. *It's no trail bike but can do a lot of gravel and forest roads.
    I was having some electrical glitches with it, and it had a very clunky transmission that was giving me way too many false neutrals (and grinding at times). I had zero confidence in it lasting to even 10k miles. Dealer told me to drive it until it exploded, then come back for a warranty claim. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefex View Post
    When you ask for people's opinions, you're going to get just that. And they will vary tremedously. what really matters is what you like, and what you're looking for. If you're seeking the thrill of leaning into the curves, and spinning wheels out and just hot dogging around, then in my opinion a Spyder is not for you. But a Spyder's ride is a thrill in itself. I have an F3 Limited 2018. My wife has an RT. We ride it cross country all the time, previous models of course. Comfort is outstanding, power of the 1330 is great, and pure enjoyment of the ride is awesome. But that being said, that is what my wife and I are looking for. Do a test drive. Only you can decide what is right for you. Unless you're used to making decisions based on other people opinions for you.
    I appreciate everyone's opinions here...even the ones that think I'm an idiot. If anything, it gets my mind trying to see their point of view...playing devil's advocate with myself...and who knows, I may learn something. I understand I'm not the "normal" customer here.
    The Spyder IS fun! I loved riding it the little short time I did. I ride alone 95% of the time, so I'm not trying to impress anyone, or keep up with anyone. If I'm coming up on a 3 mile stretch of switchbacks...I might want to push the limits for a bit, but I have no problem just cruising the majority of my ride.

Spyder Garage

You can tell by my signature I have been riding a long time. I only had my Spyder since March, so I know a lot about two wheeling. Sounds like you really want to stay on two wheels, but want comfort, handling and simplicity. I had a Victory Cross Roads for 9 years and I'm here to tell you that is one marvelous bike. They are a tall man's bagger-cruiser with a lot of stretch out room and a comfortable sit up position. A very low seat height gives you more confidence that this bike ain't gonna be dropped. But there is a ton of lean angle and almost 5" of suspension travel front and rear. They handle very, very well - I kept up with sport bikes in twisties. They are extremely dependable and very easy to service - no all afternoon oil changes. Very powerful stock and more powerful with some inexpensive add-ons. In the 9 years I had mine, I had zero problems. The cons: You will buy more gas because you will want to ride it a lot. People will want to talk about it - even H-D guys. Don't take my word for it, talk to some Victory cross bike owners.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    You can tell by my signature I have been riding a long time. I only had my Spyder since March, so I know a lot about two wheeling. Sounds like you really want to stay on two wheels, but want comfort, handling and simplicity. I had a Victory Cross Roads for 9 years and I'm here to tell you that is one marvelous bike. They are a tall man's bagger-cruiser with a lot of stretch out room and a comfortable sit up position. A very low seat height gives you more confidence that this bike ain't gonna be dropped. They handle very, very well - I kept up with sport bikes in twisties. They are extremely dependable and very easy to service - no all afternoon oil changes. Very powerful stock and more powerful with some inexpensive add-ons. In the 9 years I had mine, I had zero problems. The cons: You will buy more gas because you will want to ride it a lot. People will want to talk about it - even H-D guys. Don't take my word for it, talk to some Victory cross bike owners.
    Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I cannot bring myself to own or ride a "bagger" or other cruiser-style bike. The closest I can see myself coming to one is maybe a Yamaha FJR...

Is that your actual bike the museum has? That's amazing!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I started with an 2012 RS, traded for a 2015 F3-S, traded that for a 2017 F3-T. Loved them all!!!!

although the F3-S is a sharper looking ride I would still go for the F3-T for the storage alone. You can get saddle bags for the S but they never look quite right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ATC View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I cannot bring myself to own or ride a "bagger" or other cruiser-style bike. The closest I can see myself coming to one is maybe a Yamaha FJR...

Is that your actual bike the museum has? That's amazing!
    I have no idea where my Servi-Cycle might have ended up once I sold it and moved a notch up the MC ladder.
    I shared your attitude of cruisers for decades and there was no way I would have one. Then I got cancer and got weak, but still wanted to be in the wind. As I said, it's an amazing bike - one test ride and I was sucked in. Had I let my anti cruiser attitude prevail, I would have denied myself a great MC experience.
    Again, Ma Nature thought she'd get me out of the wind, but I fooled her with a F3 Limited. In all honesty, the Cross Roads was a lot more comfortable than my Spyder. I have a lot of work to do in that department.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I still don't really understand why you think a Spyder will answer your needs. I know why I went to 3 wheels. A bad accident made it so don't do so well on 2 anymore, I wasn't ready to give up on riding and experience taught me I didn't like regular trikes. Ergo the Spyder. You seem to be able to still ride and enjoy 2 wheels. You sound like you just need something more suited to your current body and that would be MUCH cheaper then a Spyder, and leave you money to make it your own. If you are looking to survive in Deer country on it, not a safe bet. People still die in Spyder/Deer encounters. Slow down and put as much driving light as you can. True I did hit a dog with my Spyder, but that is a smaller hit. BTW still did $4000 damage to the Spyder, and was terminal for the dog. I did walk away. Don't think it would have been the same with a Deer. My real fear though, is an Elk. Lots of those around here. Moto commuted for 50 years and have to say that stupidity(mine and the car drivers) was my greatest danger. I hope you find something you can ride, 2 wheels or three there is nothing like it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I still don't really understand why you think a Spyder will answer your needs. I know why I went to 3 wheels. A bad accident made it so don't do so well on 2 anymore, I wasn't ready to give up on riding and experience taught me I didn't like regular trikes. Ergo the Spyder. You seem to be able to still ride and enjoy 2 wheels. You sound like you just need something more suited to your current body and that would be MUCH cheaper then a Spyder, and leave you money to make it your own. If you are looking to survive in Deer country on it, not a safe bet. People still die in Spyder/Deer encounters. Slow down and put as much driving light as you can. True I did hit a dog with my Spyder, but that is a smaller hit. BTW still did $4000 damage to the Spyder, and was terminal for the dog. I did walk away. Don't think it would have been the same with a Deer. My real fear though, is an Elk. Lots of those around here. Moto commuted for 50 years and have to say that stupidity(mine and the car drivers) was my greatest danger. I hope you find something you can ride, 2 wheels or three there is nothing like it.
    I don't see the Spyder as only being for the disabled/elderly/weak/etc...I'm not basing any of my decision on 2 wheels vs. 3 wheels. I don't see it as that since I am not as passionate or die-hard as a lot of 2-wheelers. If anything, I fully believe that I would put triple the miles on a Spyder as I would a similar 2-wheeler. The advantages it has in wet/poor weather, the roads I ride (chip seal, leaf/stick covered, gravel driveways washing out, sometimes dirt, etc.), the added comfort (feet positions, bars, seats, backrests, windscreens), added luggage for long trips (frunk, ease of trailer towing), would seem to equal or outweigh the pro's a 2-wheeler has. And I'd still rather hit a deer on a 900+lb Spyder than a 450lb bike.

I think my original post came on too strong. I'm not looking for a track bike. I'm not riding with a group of streetbikes. It's hard to convey with words on a screen without the context of an actual, verbal conversation. I just want to ride for fun and not have some sensor tell me I can't do what I want to do, the rare times I want to do them.
    Last edited by ATC; 05-30-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I started with an 2012 RS, traded for a 2015 F3-S, traded that for a 2017 F3-T. Loved them all!!!!

although the F3-S is a sharper looking ride I would still go for the F3-T for the storage alone. You can get saddle bags for the S but they never look quite right.
    The -T is an attractive option for sure

Spyder Garage

I honestly needed no one to talk me into a Ryker Rally ,sold it self to this old man that wanted to ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
    I honestly needed no one to talk me into a Ryker Rally ,sold it self to this old man that wanted to ride
    Enjoy. My first Spyder was also a 100 % self sale.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you need to look at a higher performance touring bike. The top two out now that will meet your needs for thrills and be much more suited to long days are the Honda Gold Wing and the BMW K1600. They are both phenomenal machines that deliver both all day comfort and extremely high performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hv...fY5mXdNkqvQJx8

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

My son had a 2006 FJR ,and at the same time i had a Honda ST 1300 .Both were great bikes ,very dependable and fast enough for me.Have a spyder RTL now but still miss my ST .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I have to say, I don't the the Spyder is for you. If the FZ gives you pain, then you need a different bike. I had an ST1300 - great bike, but without a few changes - seat, bars - it hurt to ride. Going from two to three wheels with a "nanny system" is going to irritate you. If you don't like the safety systems and see them as a "limitation on idiots", then you'll hate the tryke in short order.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Hello ATC,
    as far as I can tell, the nanny system on Spyder bothers you the most. So far I don't know of any Spyder rider or a way to disable or remove the Nanny. This is firmly anchored in the electronic system, so removing it might be very time-consuming. In sport mode you can definitely make burnouts and drift.

Maybe you are still looking for alternatives in the trike area. You can find a good overview of trikes here: https://thekneeslider.com/category/t...otor-vehicles/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Sounds like you need to look at a higher performance touring bike. The top two out now that will meet your needs for thrills and be much more suited to long days are the Honda Gold Wing and the BMW K1600. They are both phenomenal machines that deliver both all day comfort and extremely high performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hv...fY5mXdNkqvQJx8
    That new Goldwing is a sexy bike. My dad picked up a very nice '98 model early last year so my mother could ride more comfortably with him. He still has his '06 V-Strom with 100k miles he's put on it.
    The Goldwing is a little steep, as it starts out around $24k though. More than I had wanted to spend.
    The Ducati Multistrada has been on my bucket list for a while now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ATC View Post
    That new Goldwing is a sexy bike. My dad picked up a very nice '98 model early last year so my mother could ride more comfortably with him. He still has his '06 V-Strom with 100k miles he's put on it.
    The Goldwing is a little steep, as it starts out around $24k though. More than I had wanted to spend.
    The Ducati Multistrada has been on my bucket list for a while now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback
    I totally understand the whole sticker shock thing. I, too always look for lower cost ways to get what I want. That said, it might not hurt to take a look as slightly older versions of both those bikes. Gently used wings and K1600s go surprisingly cheap.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)