Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Talk me into buying a Spyder - A few reservations

Hello all! So I've been interested in the Spyder for a few years now (hence my early join date compared to this post), and I did a demo ride of one 2 years ago. If I do get one, it will be the F3-S. I am still young, and I've spent the past 11 years on a couple FZ1's and a short time on a Tiger 1050. I love my FZ1 very much, but it's getting to where I cannot ride it for more than an hour or so before I'm in pain. My shoulders, my back and my butt...all started just in the past couple years.

For one, my dad is retired now, and he lives on his motorcycles...he's been riding for 50+ years. I want to ride more with him when I can, but I hate making the trips so short for him. He wants to do more overnight trips, or at the very least, 6-8hr day trips. I just can't do that on my current bike, so I want something I can ride all day and not dread it. Like I said earlier, I'm still young and love my performance....so there is no way I would consider a "bagger" motorcycle, or any cruiser. I stuck with the FZ1 because it had all the performance of a literbike, but without the hunched-over, cramped-up riding style (for the most part). I'm also 6'5", 300#, so it fit me better

For two, I work nights, and would like to commute back and forth more. The deer population here is astronomical, and I just don't feel comfortable riding at dusk and dawn on my motorcycle. I feel a Spyder would protect me better, and be much safer in a deer strike. Also, living in the south, we get a lot of rain from pop-up storms almost every afternoon. The roads I ride are heavily wooded, and a good portion of them are chip seal (tar & gravel surface treatment). We all know how fun gravel and wet leaves & sticks are on 2 wheels

Now for my reservations:

The nanny features scare me. I HATE nanny features! I spent a good amount of time, money, and effort getting around some of them on my past two new trucks (2016 & 2018).
    I don't want some stupid computer programmed by a Chinese guy who has never ridden a bike before, to dictate what I can or cannot do with the object I own. If I want to do burnouts and donuts in a parking lot...well, I should be able to. If I want to drift around a corner, or push it enough to lift a tire...I should be able to!

So, I am not seeing any way to disable these things on here...is it because no one has really tried? Does unplugging the ABS sensors cause a limp mode situation, or will it still let you ride normally? I see the new models have a "Sport Mode" that will disable traction control. If it's anything like my trucks...you will be able to spin in a straight line, but as soon as steering input is sensed, the computer will take over and apply the brakes/detune the engine.
    How is the steering sensor hooked up? Is it a sealed all-in-one unit, or is there access to disable it, or fool it into thinking the bars are straight?

I'm also torn between the manual transmission, or the auto. The one I rode was the auto, and it wasn't too bad...but my dislike for electronics, and the old school in me tells me to go for the manual for fun and more control. I definitely need to ride one when I get the chance.
    How are the autos holding up as far as reliability? Any shifting failures? Troubles with the internals?

Again...I'm still young and want a little thrill here and there on a ride. The whopping 20-minutes of experience I have riding one just doesn't answer a lot of questions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Nanny is only there to save your bacon; when you've done your dead-level best to overcook it...
    It's not an issue!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Many of the things you seem to want to disconnect are safety features designed into the Spyder. Whether you like them or not, if they are issues for you, it seems to me you should be looking for something else. Why on Earth would you want to spend $XX,XXX for a "bike" then start disconnecting half of the safety features on it so you could "do donuts and lift the wheels off the ground in a parking lot"?

If your father really has 50+ years of riding experience, ask him what he recommends. If you "...want to ride more like him...", what does he say you should buy/do?

Just my thoughts.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Well here goes !! YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ok my wife and I got a F3 LTD in 18 and it was a new left over 17 , we have taken several 1500 / 2000 mile trips LOVE IT
    Go to a dealer and take a DEMO ride

Let me know your thoughts
    Rog1541

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    Many of the things you seem to want to disconnect are safety features designed into the Spyder. Whether you like them or not, if they are issues for you, it seems to me you should be looking for something else. Why on Earth would you want to spend $XX,XXX for a "bike" then start disconnecting half of the safety features on it so you could "do donuts and lift the wheels off the ground in a parking lot"?

If your father really has 50+ years of riding experience, ask him what he recommends. If you "...want to ride more like him...", what does he say you should buy/do?

Just my thoughts.

You may call them safety features, but I call them annoyances. There are several threads on here alone about the rear tire randomly locking up in a corner, sending people off the road and into oncoming traffic. Sure, it may happen to one machine out of a thousand...but it wouldn't be a concern at all if the feature wasn't there in the first place. Safety features are just limitations. They are there for one purpose only...to make the bike rideable (safe) for the person with the lowest IQ that can hold a MC license.
    I don't want to spend "$XX,XXX" for a "bike" just to hate it in 6-months when I can't ride it how I want once I get used to it. At the same time, I'm not spending $XX,XXX for safety features. If I wanted to be safe, I'd drop the 'M' endorsement on my license and just drive cars.
    I've somehow managed to ride motorcycles for 15 years without even having ABS (or traction control)...and in those 15 years, I've never even come close to laying one down (knock on wood!)

I realize that the age group of these forums (and Spyder riders in general) are nearly double my age. Just like my father, many in the older generations can't understand why something would ever need to be modified. My dad thinks all products come from the factory 100% perfect. I've read A LOT about the hate of the nanny features on this site, so I know I am not alone. Speaking of my dad, I don't want to "ride more like him", I want to ride more "with" him. If I asked him what to buy, he'd tell me to get a Tenere, Explorer, GS, or some other flavor of adventure bike (as that's what he rides and loves). They aren't my cup of tea...

So now that this thread has derailed and will turn into love vs. hate of nanny features thread...maybe I'll just keep reading more and talking less. Thank you to anyone and everyone willing to answer my questions!

Spyder Garage

I'm 37 year old had many motorcycles, started on vstar 650 switched to spyders few years ago and would not look back. Honestly nanny is not as bad as you would think and i'm prettt agressive driver. After having a second child it just felt selfish for me to keep riding two wheelers in case something happened to me and leaving two kids behind. So I made my self feel better by going to three wheeler. Obviously being on a road on any kind if vehicle has its own risk but i sleep at night better I own F3S. I should also mention that first spyder was a manual Gs than went to semi rs and now semi F3s let's me be lazy when i just feel like enjoying the ride without putting any effort into it.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I still consider myself young, and I love my F3T. No, I cannot do any drifting with it, but it can still give you a good thrill. The feet forward riding position will be a little bit different from your current bike, but for me, it was perfect. If you are looking for something that is more agressive in the thrills department, especially since you spoke of the conditions of the roads (chip seal), then the ryker rally might fall a little closer to your likings. It is hard to believe that I even considered saying that, because I am not at all a fan of the ryker. But it tends to do everything that you are looking for. The biggest issue that I would see for you might be the size to power ratio. You are a pretty big guy (don't fret, I am also). I am thinking that the ryker might not have what you are looking for in the power department. When I test rode it, it was fine up to around 60 mph. But with my size, it tended to give out of breath pretty quick. I suggest giving a F3S another test ride and see what you think. Then give a ryker rally edition a try and see how they compare. They both are petty good bikes, but I am a spyder guy. BTW, I will be 53 in a couple of months and still consider myself a hooligan

PS, I see you are in Virginia and ride the mountains. I am in the NC/Tenn, Va. mountains a lot. Have a trip planned for the week following father's day, the week following labor's day, and in October for the spyder rally. Feel free to pm me to discuss anything 2 or 3 wheeled related. I consider myself a new rider. I bought my first bike just under 13 years ago, and have averaged about 10k miles a year. I am now on bike number 15 & 16.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rog1541 View Post
    Well here goes !! YOU WILL LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ok my wife and I got a F3 LTD in 18 and it was a new left over 17 , we have taken several 1500 / 2000 mile trips LOVE IT
    Go to a dealer and take a DEMO ride

Let me know your thoughts
    Rog1541
    I definitely need to do another demo ride. Cam-Am's website is showing that the Spyder/Ryker demo event is scheduled at my local dealer on June 2nd. Problem with that, is that June 2nd is a Sunday, and the dealer is closed that day. I need to call them and see what's up.
    I probably won't buy from my local dealer due to "bad blood" in the past...and they don't like anyone test riding anything unless you are about to sign the paperwork to buy it.

Thanks for the positive review!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donhy View Post
    I'm 37 year old had many motorcycles, started on vstar 650 switched to spyders few years ago and would not look back. Honestly nanny is not as bad as you would think and i'm prettt agressive driver. After having a second child it just felt selfish for me to keep riding two wheelers in case something happened to me and leaving two kids behind. So I made my self feel better by going to three wheeler. Obviously being on a road on any kind if vehicle has its own risk but i sleep at night better I own F3S. I should also mention that first spyder was a manual Gs than went to semi rs and now semi F3s let's me be lazy when i just feel like enjoying the ride without putting any effort into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I still consider myself young, and I love my F3T. No, I cannot do any drifting with it, but it can still give you a good thrill. The feet forward riding position will be a little bit different from your current bike, but for me, it was perfect. If you are looking for something that is more agressive in the thrills department, especially since you spoke of the conditions of the roads (chip seal), then the ryker rally might fall a little closer to your likings. It is hard to believe that I even considered saying that, because I am not at all a fan of the ryker. But it tends to do everything that you are looking for. The biggest issue that I would see for you might be the size to power ratio. You are a pretty big guy (don't fret, I am also). I am thinking that the ryker might not have what you are looking for in the power department. When I test rode it, it was fine up to around 60 mph. But with my size, it tended to give out of breath pretty quick. I suggest giving a F3S another test ride and see what you think. Then give a ryker rally edition a try and see how they compare. They both are petty good bikes, but I am a spyder guy. BTW, I will be 53 in a couple of months and still consider myself a hooligan
    Thanks fellas!

I do need to ride one again. The demo I did was with a group, riding on 35mph roads on the outskirts of town in a 20-minute loop. I may be worrying for nothing, but when you're about to drop 20 G's on something...you want all the knowledge you can get.

I think I can cross off the Ryker from the list. Mainly for the reasons you mention, but also because I just don't like the looks of 'em. I saw the dealer doing final prep on one in the showroom a couple weeks ago for the new owner. Can't say I was a huge fan...

Well...off to bed for now. It's been a long night!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post

Just my thoughts.
    I agree. From your description of you and your requirements I don't think a Spyder is the machine for you.
    I still ride two wheels too, a bike I have which you might like to consider is a Triumph Rocket Touring - 2.3 litres of grunt, physically big bike with plenty of leg room and good handlebar position for a big guy and luggage space. Don't under estimate big bikes potential.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of Spyder owners won't even get near a gravel road for fear of splitting a drive belt. Buy a BMW R1200GS, problem solved. Plenty of power, upright comfy seating position, luggage, not a bagger, gravel roads.. meh. You can ride to Patagonia and back.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Buy a BMW R1200GS, problem solved. Plenty of power, upright comfy seating position, luggage, not a bagger, gravel roads.. meh.
    I agree with this completely. The R1200/1250GS will fulfill all of your sporting and touring desires. It may look like an off road devise but few are ever taken on anything tougher than a gravel driveway. (Some people can handle them on trails but a 700 lb dirtbike; really?)
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride a Suzuki V Strom and an F3L both are comfortable for me but the V Strom needed different handlebars with risers to stop the shoulder pain. The F3L fits me well as it comes but the F3 is also adjustable. You might also try a Ryker 900 which comes with a sport mode that turns down the nanny. The Ryker Rally has rally mode which turns nanny off (off road only).
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I am going to go a different direction here. Have you thought about changing the bike you have to be more suitable to the riding you want to do? From your picture I think a better seat and different bars could go a long way towards remedying your problems. Have you tried physical therapy? Or conditioning exercise for your specific problems/riding style? Motorcycling is a sport and you appear to be more into "sport" riding. All sports require some degree of conditioning. As we get older the amount of natural conditioning we have from youth declines and the time for more deliberate conditioning arrives. This can come sooner or later depending on our genes and lifestyle.

Given your reservations, and desires you may not be able modify a Spyder to work the way you want it without throwing massive amounts of money at it, and maybe not even then. I love to ride hard, maybe not as hard as you. I have no desire to lift a wheel, but I did learn how to broadside my previous trike, a Honda conversion. I love my Spyder and love riding it.

BTW I totally agree with your desire to ride more with your Dad. I hope you find a way to make that happen.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

"Safety features are just limitations. They are there for one purpose only...to make the bike rideable (safe) for the person with the lowest IQ that can hold a MC license.
    I don't want to spend "$XX,XXX" for a "bike" just to hate it in 6-months when I can't ride it how I want once I get used to it. At the same time, I'm not spending $XX,XXX for safety features. If I wanted to be safe, I'd drop the 'M' endorsement on my license and just drive cars."

Hey moderators.... As one of those people with the "low IQ who cannot operate a 2 wheeler confidently this is rather offensive. I personally LOVE the safety features and they give me the confidence I need to enjoy the hobby.

To the O.P. ..... I think your $XX,XXX would be better spent on something else, doesn't sound like you'd be happy with a Spyder.
    Just my 2 cents!
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

Hello ATC,
    don't buy a Spyder, you're not gonna be happy with it. Try a KTM Duke or Ducati Diavel or some of the other hundred motorcycle models.
    Why do you want to spend a lot of money on a trike that doesn't meet your requirements? For less money you can buy a powerful bike and customize it to your needs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To the OP. Curious why you got rid of the Tiger 1050? I know a guy who's about your size and he loves his Tiger because he looks like a circus bear on anything smaller/shorter. Another friend of mine had an FZ1 for years and now rides an F800GS, loves the practicality and *dirt* worthiness of it. *It's no trail bike but can do a lot of gravel and forest roads.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When you ask for people's opinions, you're going to get just that. And they will vary tremedously. what really matters is what you like, and what you're looking for. If you're seeking the thrill of leaning into the curves, and spinning wheels out and just hot dogging around, then in my opinion a Spyder is not for you. But a Spyder's ride is a thrill in itself. I have an F3 Limited 2018. My wife has an RT. We ride it cross country all the time, previous models of course. Comfort is outstanding, power of the 1330 is great, and pure enjoyment of the ride is awesome. But that being said, that is what my wife and I are looking for. Do a test drive. Only you can decide what is right for you. Unless you're used to making decisions based on other people opinions for you.
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Here's a winning idea... they rent them in Vegas. Take a trip there and rent one for a day or two to amble about and get a real sense if one is for you. Still... you might be tempted to leave more money in that city than planned. Maybe just demo one near you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After seeing more of your comments: the Spyder is definitely not the bike for you...
    Continue shopping, and I hope that you find the right bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question New ride-----

Like many here----- have been riding 2 wheels for a LOOOONG time. The FZ1 was designed for a person much smaller than you. You might be much happier on a larger, more sit upright motorcycle. No will have the punch of an FZ1. I come from a few fast motorcycles and still have one ( V-Max ) and ever after adding 20 or so horsepower to my RTS ------ it will never accelerate like a 1000cc sport bike.

Good luck in your search for a new ride.

Lew L
    PS: Hitting a deer on a is bad, bad , bad. A large truck with roo ( as in kangaroo ) bars would be much better in the twilight hours. We have deer ( and bear ) here too.
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-30-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Post Scrip
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Here's a winning idea... they rent them in Vegas. Take a trip there and rent one for a day or two to amble about and get a real sense if one is for you. Still... you might be tempted to leave more money in that city than planned. Maybe just demo one near you
    Where do they rent them?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Just like many on this site, I am older and maybe I could be your father. it took me a long time to make the move to three wheels but now that I have, I wouldn't go back. The Spyder is everything a motorcycle is, except leaning into curves. Buy the Spyder to spend quality time with your father and, if you can financially, keep the FZ when you need to lean into the curves. With time, I think you will find that your reservations are just noise and they most likely don't matter.

Good luck

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Just looked... they must have ended Spyders through Eagles Riders... here is the old page of what they would rent. Now just Harleys, BMWs, Indians in Vegas. Still CanAm's in NY and NJ.

https://www.eaglerider.com/cam-am-rentals

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems computers, safety features and advanced electronics are all the norm now.
    Couldn't believe everything in my new pick up, I did get used to it and now I actually don't mind them.
    The Spyder now doesn't seem so loaded with all those features in comparison. As far as standard versus automatic, I don't think I will ever own a standard anything again.
    Test drive and then do it again, it is a big purchase and you do have some reservations. As far as looking to defeat those features, I wouldn't. Good luck.