Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure Argument for the 49th time

I have read many members use 18 or so pounds of pressure in the front tires. My argument is that that is good. My wrecker driver friend says that I need 44 pounds in the front tires and I'm using Continental ContiProcontact. The argument is that the manufacturer requires 44 lbs. I've been happy with 19 - 20 lbs pressure but no, a heated argument has ensued. No lives at risk, but... Is the guy wrong? And after picking up many vehicles he reports that Continental tires fail most often. Any comment? My guess is that based on forum comments, performance is better at 18.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    The argument is that the manufacturer requires 44 lbs.
    The 44psi marked on the tire is the MAXIMUM PRESSURE COLD. Pressure is mostly based on vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. That said, adjustments have to be made for vehicle weight, road conditions, load, etc...

I run 18psi on my front Federal car tires. Putting a car tire on the back next week. Don't know what I will run yet.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

44 lbs? not for your spyder. That is probably what you would run in a fully loaded SUV or something.
    44 lbs on your spyder will have absolutely no flex or give and will handle like a rock.
    Your tow guy probably sells Goodyear or ANYTHING but Continental. We only hate what we ain't got.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Ricford,

I'm no expert, but have been doing a bunch of tests to bear out what I have been told. Trust, but verify. I have tried everything, including the 4 PSI heat buildup rule, handling, etc. What finally convinced me is the wet tire footprint. Some folks use chalk, some use water. Here's what I did.

1. On smooth dry concrete. Air your tire up to about 20-22 PSI.
    2. Spray bottle with water, mist the front patch on the tire until slightly wet.
    3. Roll bike forward until you see the wet patch on the concrete behind the tire.
    4. Measure the footprint. Compare it to the tires tread width. If all the tread width isn't hitting the ground, how can you expect the tire to do its best? I don't consider the edge where the tire curves up to the sidewall the tread area, even though it's got grooves and sipes.
    5. Adjust tire pressure up or down to get the correct footprint. Take into account your bikes load at the time of the test, your body weight included.
    6. Come up with a 2 pressure system, unladen (you only, or maybe you and a passenger)., and fully laden, including max weight of the bike with everything in the bags.

Have you noticed in all the threads the amazing differences people are getting in tire mileage before wear out? I figure it this way, if all the tire is supporting load, there should be less load per square inch. I'm currently running 17 PSI front and 17 PSI rear for my unladen pressures. You can't rely on my numbers, your tires are different, bike weighs different, etc. I was amazed how low the pressures can get before total footprint contact, still testing to see if they're correct. So far, it looks very good.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

44 lbs on the front and you will be bouncing all over the highway, 18 - 20 PSI is what is recommended. stick with it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Don’t believe it i am running the same tires at 16 psi 27000 miles at 7.5 32 nds left

Spyder Garage

Oh god, 911 You must be on boil over by now!! You know you want to!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

What kind of Spyder does your wrecker friend own?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That guy is NOT a real friend.
    He is a moron.
    You should not listen to him.......about anything probably.

Should you try to tell him the truth ?
    Maybe but he probably won't listen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    That guy is NOT a real friend.
    He is a moron.
    You should not listen to him.......about anything probably.

Should you try to tell him the truth ?
    Maybe but he probably won't listen.
    Abrupt.........but fair, EasyRider

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks hogrider, on of the best tire comments I've read in a good while.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle tires are rounded so most car tire examples don't relate.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Thanks hogrider, on of the best tire comments I've read in a good while.

David
    Mr. David,

Someone once told me that when normal people look at a stoplight, they see red, yellow, or green. They then told me they believed I "saw" timers, relays, and programmable logic controllers. They were not wrong. I am inquisitive to the point of aggravating, but when I know something I don't have to guess.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

He is wrong. It's as simple as that. You could run 44 psi in the front tires but you would be very sorry. You would not be doing yourself or your tires any favor. There is more to correct tire pressure than what the manufacturer states on the side of the tire.

All you have to do is look at the door post on your car where the manufacturer suggests correct tire pressure for that specific vehicle. Then compare it to the max pressure the tire is rated for. You will almost always find a lower pressure on the door post. Why? Because the tire manufacturer doesn't know what you're going to run the tire on so they just tell you the 'Do Not Exceed' pressure.

The manufacturer of the vehicle, on the other hand, knows exactly what pressure you need to run because they know how much the vehicle weighs. Which is the main component to tire pressure. How much weight does the tire need to support?

It is too bad that such bad information gets circulated out there. Who knows how many people this guy has talked into running more pressure than they should.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Oh god, 911 You must be on boil over by now!! You know you want to!!
    Actually what I REALLY want, is to not read Stupid comments / posts , especially from people who just Thrive on controversy ….. your welcome …. Mike ......PS it's coming back to me now, why you are on my Ignore List ...…….

Spyder Garage

Can I assume the wrecker driver looked at the sidewalk and did not take in account that this goes on something totally different?
    If so, I hope I never need his services!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. My friend is still my friend. He's also an 18 wheel OTR driver. I would guess he is accustomed to seeing very large vehicles that DO require high pressure. He was just looking out for me because he cares. But you've given me ammunition for my argument. He had inflated my tires to 38 PSI without asking but did tell me. They are again, again, at 18 PSI. This morning I'm off to Rockwall, TX for lunch at In N Out burger. The best on planet Earth. OKOKOK really good anyway. I do have my Veskimo to keep me cool in the 500 degree heat of the afternoon. I appreciate all of the comments I read almost everyday for all of the problems ryders encounter and the always helpful solutions. Often the answer to a question I just haven't asked yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

This debate has gone on ever since the first ryder installed a CAR tire on his/her spyder. The clear answer is they cannot be the same as mentioned above , the vehicle they are installed on. Your wear on the tire will be greatly compromised by the wieght of the vehicle as discribed in the water mark above. Your steering will be much better as you will have much less contact with the pavement and as we all know the tires tend to get less contact as they spin at high speeds. I'm sure he means well but does not have all the facts to make a recommendation on your specific vehicle. I have no idea where he got the information on the Continental tire failure rate.... One should always start with the vehicle recommendation and adjust accordingly....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. My friend is still my friend. He's also an 18 wheel OTR driver. I would guess he is accustomed to seeing very large vehicles that DO require high pressure. He was just looking out for me because he cares. But you've given me ammunition for my argument. He had inflated my tires to 38 PSI without asking but did tell me. They are again, again, at 18 PSI. This morning I'm off to Rockwall, TX for lunch at In N Out burger. The best on planet Earth. OKOKOK really good anyway. I do have my Veskimo to keep me cool in the 500 degree heat of the afternoon. I appreciate all of the comments I read almost everyday for all of the problems ryders encounter and the always helpful solutions. Often the answer to a question I just haven't asked yet.
    I apologize for making comments against your friend. I understand that a friend is always a friend. He is just in error on this one. Even well meaning friends can be wrong at times.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I posted this in another post last year.

http://www.lehmantrikes.com/assets/d...ook-master.pdf

I know this is from a manufacturer of delta trikes but it has info that correlates to the tadpole design of our Spyders.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Motorcycle tires are rounded......
    And the Spyder does NOT use "motorcycle tires" so that comment doesn't relate either.

Spyder Garage

Why not start at 18 and go up ? There are so many factors that probably your best bet is trial and error. What works for you may not work for me. I had a mazda 6 which manufacturer recommended 32psi which was fine for original tires that came with than i switched to different tires and it felt like the sidewall was so soft that tires will come off. I took it back and they said there is nothing wrong with the tires and that there is something wrong with my suspension which i knew its not the case as it was OK with old tires. So i went to 35psi and boom problem solved who knew 3psi would make a world of difference.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

I have read many members use 18 or so pounds of pressure in the front tires. My argument is that that is good. My wrecker driver friend says that I need 44 pounds in the front tires and I'm using Continental ContiProcontact. The argument is that the manufacturer requires 44 lbs. I've been happy with 19 - 20 lbs pressure but no, a heated argument has ensued. No lives at risk, but... Is the guy wrong? And after picking up many vehicles he reports that Continental tires fail most often. Any comment? My guess is that based on forum comments, performance is better at 18.
    Hi,

I am running the Continental Contiprocontacts tires on the front of my 2014 RTS-SE6 and I am running them at 19PSI. I haven't had any problems. The tires were installed 3 years ago.

They are also wearing very well,and looks new.
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I have them as well and for the last two years I have kept them at 15 psi. They still look like new, handle great and wear is even across the entire width.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Just one more thing. I have been running Continental tires since I bought the bike new. I changed after 600 miles based on recommendations that I read here. I am very happy with my tires and have put just over 35K miles. And no, I don't know where he got the info on Continental except that is HIS experience. Again, THANKS for your comments.