Spyder Garage

Default I'm finally going to buy a Spyder!

After countless hours of research and budgeting I'm going to buy a 2018 F3S for a little under $18k
    I plan on using this as my everyday drive but put it up from December-February
    I have a couple of questions for all of you Spyder owners.

Is 18K a good price for a new 2018?
    I don't have a garage for storage but I'll be buying the Can Am cover will that be fine during the winter?
    Are Spyders reliable to be an everyday drive for the next 6 years?

Any other information that you guys could give me would be greatly appreciative

Thanks.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the can am should be good for a daily driver, but I would look at getting one of the bike barns for storage. Although a lot of people do use a cover, I think the further out of sight it can be, the less likely that someone will screw with it. As for the price, you should be able to do better than $18k for a F3S. In fact, for that money, you should be able to get a F3T. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have to agree about that price. We just paid 19999 for an 18 RTL.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear...

You can also get a storage unit for those months and have it out of the elements and temptation. Don't be afraid to search for a better price from dealers out side of your area as many have them in stock and would like to get them sold as soon as they can. I will be a good ryde home if you do find one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

How would I go about trying to get a lower price?
    What I've been told by dealers is that there's no profit on bikes but I'm sure that's a sales tactic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

call i motorsports

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddiebrown View Post
    How would I go about trying to get a lower price?
    What I've been told by dealers is that there's no profit on bikes but I'm sure that's a sales tactic
    As others have said shop around as it will give you some leverage if you prefer a particular dealer.

My answer to those dealer comments is "then why do you sell them?"

Manufacturers often provide incentives to dealers especially when moving old stock. I believe the recent incentives (here as well) were several thousand dollars in some cases.

Good luck with the process as it is an exciting time for you and keep us updated.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What kind of route do you take to and from work ?

If it involves any of the Interstates in or around Chicago, I think you should give this idea some more CAREFUL thought.

I've done a LOT of driving in and through Chicago in the past 50 years or so.......and would not take any kind of "motorcycle" on any of the freeways........except maybe near midnight when the traffic thins out.

Just think back to how many bikes you have seen on those Interstates.......very nearly none probably.
    There is a good reason for that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as you are vigilante you will be fine driving in the Chicago area.

Try Imotorsports or Neilsens for pricing. You may have already??

Spyder Garage

Does the $18k include everything (out the door price)? If not, they show $16500 for a new F3S SE6 at Imotorsports. They also have a couple of used F3S's that you may want to look at.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

If it involves any of the Interstates in or around Chicago, I think you should give this idea some more CAREFUL thought.

I've done a LOT of driving in and through Chicago in the past 50 years or so.......and would not take any kind of "motorcycle" on any of the freeways........except maybe near midnight when the traffic thins out.

Just think back to how many bikes you have seen on those Interstates.......very nearly none probably.
    While I think Chicago traffic can seem less than safe, I don't think it's quite as bad you've implied. If you're keeping up with traffic in your chosen lane, you've not much to fear from other drivers. If you're slowing traffic, you're creating an unsafe situation for yourself, regardless of what the posted limit is and what everyone around you is doing. I frequently ride more on the suburban highways (I355, I80) and haven't had any bad experiences with other drivers. In fact, I was caught in the rains on Memorial Day coming home on I355 (before the tornado warnings hit) in moderate traffic and felt pretty safe. The Spyder just sticks to the road and the other drivers never once bothered me.

Spyder Garage

$18k was out the door
    I take the 90/94 the most with some 290 and LSD

Spyder Garage

After countless hours of research and budgeting I'm going to buy a 2018 F3S for a little under $18k
    I plan on using this as my everyday drive but put it up from December-February
    I have a couple of questions for all of you Spyder owners.

Is 18K a good price for a new 2018?
    I don't have a garage for storage but I'll be buying the Can Am cover will that be fine during the winter?
    Are Spyders reliable to be an everyday drive for the next 6 years?

Any other information that you guys could give me would be greatly appreciative

Thanks.
    18K OTD isn't to bad, iMotorsports in Elmhurst has some units priced at $16,500.00.
    https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defa...18&make=can-am

$18k was out the door
    I take the 90/94 the most with some 290 and LSD
    The Ryan, Ike, Kennedy, I-57 and the Drive is all about staying alert, and always having an escape route, it's not a relaxing ride.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I wouldnt store the bike outside during chicago winters. Your investing lot of money on the bike store it at a heated motorcycle storage, it's just part of the cost for us who live on the north pole.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhemedinger View Post
    I frequently ride more on the suburban highways (I355, I80) and haven't had any bad experiences with other drivers.
    Not quite as bad I admit but still not good.

Have you been on the Tri-State or 90/94 during rush hour lately ?
    One making a daily commute likely would BE in rush hour.

And I have seen some cars purposely trying to take other cars OUT at 70 MPH around Chicago.
    If you aren't in a "cage" you are a sitting duck.

Actually I wouldn't ride any kind of "motorcycle" in rush hour traffic on freeways around ANY major city; I just have more experience around Chicago.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 F3-S and have been using it as a daily driver in Southern California(61,000 miles). I average about 450 miles a week (90 miles round trip to work). I have not had to many issues with traffic. In CA we can drive in the car pool lanes which is a BIG plus when commuting.

I would suggest getting a comfortable seat, a backrest, and if it does not have a windshield to get an aftermarket one (the BRP windshields and stock seats suck!). Having lived in the midwest in the past I know the bugs are terrible when riding a bike!
    Also the Spyder can get a little squirrelly in the rain with the stock tires. Also get a 2-up shock if it does not come with one.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

I ride them sometimes near Chicago.
    And I'm on Interstates all the time.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Not quite as bad I admit but still not good.

Have you been on the Tri-State or 90/94 during rush hour lately ?
    One making a daily commute likely would BE in rush hour.

And I have seen some cars purposely trying to take other cars OUT at 70 MPH around Chicago.
    If you aren't in a "cage" you are a sitting duck.

Actually I wouldn't ride any kind of "motorcycle" in rush hour traffic on freeways around ANY major city; I just have more experience around Chicago.
    It's not clear (to me, anyways) that the OP intends to commute into or out of Chicago and even if we knew that he was, my next question becomes what part of the city? That makes a huge difference in considering what routes to take back and forth. But more to your concerns, I've seen some of what you've described. I have ridden into and out of city (the loop) and I remember being pretty nervous the first few times I rode my Goldwing north on 55 to LSD. I got over it, learned to trust my mirrors and always ride very defensively. On a bike, I'm not in a hurry. I want to enjoy the ride, regardless of congestion. On my Spyder, I am far more visible and I think that a lot of drivers tend to slow down if only just enough to figure out just what the heck I'm riding. Having said all of that, I only ride the interstates out of necessity. There's usually other routes that might be a bit slower, but far less stressful than a congested interstate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    I ride them sometimes near Chicago.
    And I'm on Interstates all the time.
    Oh so you are the ONE bike that I've seen on 90/94 during rush hour.

No need to repeat what I've already said.
    I am on "an" Interstate frequently too.......but not near a big city and not during rush hour.

Alas, we are WAY behind in building new capacity to keep up with the vehicle usage growth........and many "rural" Interstates are now crowded to the point of saturation too.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I drove thru Chicago once on my RT-S on the Freeways coming from South Dakota going to Michigan. Never again. I will take the side streets and go around. It was a Saturday, and very scary.
    2018 F3 Limited , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    18K OTD isn't to bad, iMotorsports in Elmhurst has some units priced at $16,500.00.
    https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defa...18&make=can-am

The Ryan, Ike, Kennedy, I-57 and the Drive is all about staying alert, and always having an escape route, it's not a relaxing ride.
    That's who I'm dealing with. Thats after taxes and fees

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh so you are the ONE bike that I've seen on 90/94 during rush hour.

No need to repeat what I've already said.
    I am on "an" Interstate frequently too.......but not near a big city and not during rush hour.

Alas, we are WAY behind in building new capacity to keep up with the vehicle usage growth........and many "rural" Interstates are now crowded to the point of saturation too.
    What color spyder are you seeing?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What color spyder are you seeing?
    It was a JOKE.

I haven't been on the roads around Chicago in a few years.

But when I was regularly, I almost NEVER saw any motorcycles and never say a Spyder at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was a JOKE.

I haven't been on the roads around Chicago in a few years.

But when I was regularly, I almost NEVER saw any motorcycles and never say a Spyder at all.
    Yeah I thought so but had to throw that out there