Spyder Garage

Default Closeing gas cap

I found that when trying to close the gas cap after fueling that the cap would not close fully and the key could not be released. it was close, but felt like I might break the key off in the cap.
    I cured this problem by smearing a little vaseline or grease on the rubber seal on the cap. Walla! the cap pressed into the tank and the key released with ease.
    Some may have no issues, but some may have this small problem.
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You’re not alone Buckskin. There are many threads on this issue, with most applying a similar solution to you. In fact, the issue is so prevalent that Lamonster produced a different gas cap, which is selling like hot cakes

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Mine works like this ………...push gas cap turn key release pressure on key push cap again turn key again, locked.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Hey Buckskin! Here's the procedure:

Like the starting procedure, the gas cap closing has a specific sequence. After fueling, flop the cap back down into the hole. Turn the key clockwise to 3 o'clock until the cap drops almost all the way down. Turn the key anti-clockwise as far as it will go to 1 o'clock . Press down on the edges until it clicks. Turn the key anti-clockwise the rest of the way to noon then pull it out. Ready to roll.
    2016 F3-T
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Hey Buckskin! Here's the procedure:

Like the starting procedure, the gas cap closing has a specific sequence. After fueling, flop the cap back down into the hole. Turn the key clockwise to 3 o'clock until the cap drops almost all the way down. Turn the key anti-clockwise as far as it will go to 1 o'clock . Press down on the edges until it clicks. Turn the key anti-clockwise the rest of the way to noon then pull it out. Ready to roll.

2016 F3-T
    Exactly! Most people are trying to turn the key from the 6 o’clock position which won’t work, it has to be around 3 o’clock for it to work.

Also when using silicone spray (better than vaseline) be sure to spray some on the moving piece on the bottom of the cap, turn the key a few times and you should be good for 30,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622