You can plan and research now. But everything will most likely change by the time you are eligible for SS. The biggest thing to consider is how long you think you may/probably will live. Your individual past health history is different from everyone else's. Keep in mind any money you earn after drawing SS is subject to SS withholding. Even small amounts of earnings are taxed but most likely will have no effect upon your SS earnings. All earned income is subject to SS withholding unless you are exempt. It is money down a "rat hole". Several years after I retired and began drawing SS, I got a PT job just to keep busy and provide for a little farkeling money. The employer was required to withhold SS. I contacted SS and requested to "opt-out" from withholding. After all, it is MY MONEY and I will never see any return of it.... EVER. I found it that it is "the law" and I have no options. Hard pill to swallow. Just another way for the government to get our money to try to cover up for their mismanagement of our money paid into the SS system..... Jim