Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Plastic Panels - Not Gas Friendly

So this is just an FYI for everyone.

I was filling up my tank this weekend and the gas leaked on to the plastic panels. It got on the standard black panels and faded them almost instantly to a light, milky finish. Even though I wiped them down instantly with a rag I keep in the storage compartment. So far I've not been able to fix them. I emailed Can-Am and they basically told me to go to the dealer. I let them know that even though it was my issue that the gas leaked on them, the design of plastic around a gas tank should be gas proof. Just common sense. So for now I bought new panels for myself. I'll post any responses I get from the company. The dealer said I'd probably get a gift card or something, but I'm not holding my breath.

Not happy about the situation, but for now I have a set of panels I will customize on my own since they already look ****ty. lol

Spyder Garage

Bummer to hear that, man...
    Can anybody think of a spray or sealer or something that could act as a protectant?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by topper24hours View Post
    Bummer to hear that, man...
    Can anybody think of a spray or sealer or something that could act as a protectant?
    Plastidip?

Spyder Garage

That sucks, thanks for the heads up though.

Spyder Garage

That is just plain poor design. If you are going to put plastic around the filler cap then it should be gas proof. What a joke. the engineers must have had their heads up their butts that day.

I wonder if the gas tanks are made of the same stuff? Hopefully, they are steel like the Spyders. If not, they will probably crack and leak gas after a few years.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A " gift card " ……… total BS , something is wrong with that Paint..... I have a 14 RT and have spilled gas on it a few times ….heck I use gas to get bugs and Tar off my Paint with no ill effects ….. Gasoline should NOT be able to effect your Paint that quickly …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

The Damaged panels could be Wrapped, and I'd ask Pete at wrapmyspyder.com about whether his wraps are fuel proof, I bet they are.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-28-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Corrected Pete's wrapmyspyder.com domain
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Makes you wonder what all the panels are going to look like in a few years time with the effects of sun etc on them.May be a good idea to slosh a bit of stuff like this on them taking the usual precautions in case it melts them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I threw fuel all over mt Rally first time I filled it up - panels went white but a quick wipe with a damp cloth restored them to new condition.

Spyder Garage

How hard is it to remove the classic black panels, are there just the two push pin on either side of the front storage area?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asicrunner View Post
    How hard is it to remove the classic black panels, are there just the two push pin on either side of the front storage area?
    Actually 4 push pins to remove the panel, 2 by the frunk and 2 up by the gas fill.

Spyder Garage

much thanks

Spyder Garage

Been lucky so far, spill gas every time but no fading or staining to date.

Spyder Garage

I've filled up the Ryker 3 times. The first time, I didn't get the nozzle in far enough and a bunch of fuel shot out the cap and overflow tube (up front). The second time, I tried using the plastic funnel, but the pump didn't shut off, so the entire bike got soaked. The last time, I successfully filled it up without getting fuel everywhere. I wiped everything off with a damp towel; all of the panels look fine otherwise.

Spyder Garage

Painted metal fuel tanks are not really gas friendly either. Eventually they will begin to peel around the fill necks. Gas will mess up most material if it gets on it enough.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OregonLAN View Post
    I've filled up the Ryker 3 times. The first time, I didn't get the nozzle in far enough and a bunch of fuel shot out the cap and overflow tube (up front). The second time, I tried using the plastic funnel, but the pump didn't shut off, so the entire bike got soaked. The last time, I successfully filled it up without getting fuel everywhere. I wiped everything off with a damp towel; all of the panels look fine otherwise.
    Been there. My first fill up at pump, more gas went down overflow tube into the ground than into the tank. I almost never ride more than 90 minutes so ofter top off the Ryker from a can before I leave.