Spyder Garage

Default F3T squeal noise under load wheeling around or turning a corner?

Squealing noise under load from F3T

Our 2016 F3T has been a very dependable ride with few issues, but we have a sporadic squeal that sometimes occurs under load like accelerating through a turn in first or second gear.

It seems to happen after the bike has been ridden a few miles, and accelerating after turning onto a new street or onto the highway. It is not very noticeable to the driver, but when I follow closely without a helmet, I can sometimes hear it. My wife thinks she hears it from the front of the bike, but I am guessing that the noise is more from the belt.

I removed the rear wheel to check the bearings last weekend, and they were all fine, and I rechecked the alignment of the belt. It is tracking close to the rear sprocket flange, but not touching. Today I removed the cover outside the front sprocket, and the sprocket is fine, with the belt close to the outer flange, but again no noticeable wear on the sides of the belt.

I rubbed a little soap from the motel on the belt teeth and it seems a bit better? Has anyone ever had any movement on the motor mounts or torsion rod to the motor? How would I check? Maybe its just a wait and see if it gets worse or more noticeable? The bike has 45,000 miles on the original belt and we have been running the General Altimax since 36,000 miles so its in good condition. Any ideas?

What does a DPS squeal sound like? Is there a clutch on the alternator that might squeal under load?
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

have you checked the cushdrive bushings in the rear wheel hub behind the sprocket could be some sand or grit in there maybe a clean and a little silicon grease would help.i think if the belt was rubbing you would smell burnt rubber and be able to see rub marks on the flange of the sprocket
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks ddjim, I did dump the cushdrive segments out and didnt see much in the way of grit or damage, just a few black specks but I didnt think of a little silicon grease. Might try it next time...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss