Spyder Garage

Default Big Thanks To Two Vendors

BajaRon went out of his way to install his shock adjusters on my Spyder at SITO. Daniel his tech started on the left side. The shock was BENT! Panic sets in. No problem. He heads over to ELKA Shocks. They had just removed shocks from a 2022, less than 800 miles on it. Installed, onto the right side. any guesses where this goes. Right shock is bent. Back to ELKA for the other shock. With all this being said. My dealer wanted THREE hours labor at $150/hr., total $450. Ron laughed. I get one hour. BIG thanks to Ron, Daniel, and ELKA Shocks!
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

BENT??? did you bottom out the front suspension some time?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    ..... If the SHOCKS got BENT ....; the amount of force necessary to do this would lead me to think other parts of your suspension are also affected .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The shocks were not bent. I am sorry if we gave that impression to the OP.

It was a very strange situation which we have never seen before. There are 3 tabs (extrusions) pressed into the shock body which both the BRP adjusters and our shock adjusters lock into. These same extrusions hold a static spring retention plate on the non-adjustable version.

In the OP's case. These extrusions extended out farther on both units. So much so that our shock adjusters would not go over them. Lamonster's crew had installed a good number of Elka shocks during the rally so I asked if I could have a set. Many were brand new, low mileage Spyders. The set we picked out were off a Spyder with only 800 miles on it. I did not want to offer the OP a set of shocks with more miles than his original pair.

We are talking the same, identical part number. Our shock adjusters fit the take-off set perfectly. BRP has been using this same design and dimensions since 2013. I have no idea what was up with the OP's set of shocks. A rogue run? Someone set the stamp machine incorrectly? I have no idea.

His shocks were just fine in every other aspect. If they had been bent we would have been looking for other damage, as mentioned by Mike.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-13-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    No idea how. Never bottomed out. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Thank you Ron for setting the record straight! You are tops in my book. Great to finally meet you! Tom