Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New CB installed - transmit is very weak

I just had a new CB installed in our 2013 Spyder RT. My wife can receive fine, but when she transmits its very weak (low volume out). I connected my helmet to the bike and receive fine but when I transmit she can’t hear me, very weak. Has anyone run into this issue, what are my options.

Thanks
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Turn your Mic volume up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    Turn your Mic volume up.
    Assuming it is the integrated BRP product.....yes.

The controls for the CB are confusing and not well documented.......but if you got the paperwork that came with the new radio, it has MUCH better information than the owners manual. If you did not get those papers, try to get them now.

Spyder Garage

So, are you saying the transmit is weak or the received signal is weak? Noise canceling helmet mics are very fussy. You have to just about put the thing in your mouth. Try moving the mic closer. Should be touching your lips when you speak. Check your antenna connections and your SWR. The SWR should be 1.5 or less. Also, if you are trying to receive while sitting next to a transmitter, your receiver will cut the received signal power so the receiver section doesn't get fried. Try moving the receiving radio 100 yards away. Hope this helps. N2YVK
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yes I tried that but no luck, thank you

Spyder Garage

I did get some paperwork when it was installed, I will look at those today, thank you. Also, it is the integrated BRP product, thank you.

Spyder Garage

Yes the transmit is weak, I’ve been reading about the SWR lately and a lot points to that. This is something for me to look at. I told my wife about the microphone and it didn’t help. Thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dradams89 View Post
    Yes the transmit is weak, I’ve been reading about the SWR lately and a lot points to that. This is something for me to look at. I told my wife about the microphone and it didn’t help. Thank you
    A high SWR or other antenna problem will effect the total signal strength of the transmitted signal.
    It will NOT contribute to a strong signal but low volume on the transmitted voice.

Signal strength and voice volume are two different things.

It is also possible that the radio they installed is defective.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What headsets are you using? The BRP CB requires a preamplifier in the mic line. If your headset & cord doesn't incorporate that, or if it is defective, then that could be your problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should invest in an SWR Bridge and hook it up to check what your SWR is,
    You can trim your antenna to match it to your CB if it is the type that can be tuned.
    SWR is very important, no matter what unit 2-6-10-11 meters. CB operates on 11 meters.
    If you can not do it go find a CB shop and have them do it, most truckers can point you to one.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

What is your settings in Preferences? You can select Local or Distant. Don't know if that has an effect on transmit or not, but worth checking out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What headsets are you using? The BRP CB requires a preamplifier in the mic line. If your headset & cord doesn't incorporate that, or if it is defective, then that could be your problem.
    Where did you get that information ?
    Pretty sure that mine does NOT......and it works fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    You should invest in an SWR Bridge and hook it up to check what your SWR is,
    A slightly high SWR is over-rated as far as causing any detectable problems.

It CERTAINLY will not cause low transmit volume......if the signal strength is good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What is your settings in Preferences? You can select Local or Distant. Don't know if that has an effect on transmit or not, but worth checking out.
    Where do you see that "setting" ?
    I don't see that in my CB section.
    FM section maybe ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Where did you get that information ?
    Pretty sure that mine does NOT......and it works fine.
    From Ed Davis of Edsets.com. He's been designing and building motorcycle headsets for years. The best way to see the info about preamps is click here: http://www.edsets.com/edsets_docs/PopularPinouts.pdf. Look on sheets 2 and 6.

You probably have a preamp but just don't know it since it is likely built into the cord connectors or in the helmet module of whatever system you have.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Where do you see that "setting" ?
    I don't see that in my CB section.
    FM section maybe ??
    Preferences/Audio/CB. Options are LO & DX.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

A slightly high SWR is over-rated as far as causing any detectable problems.

It CERTAINLY will not cause low transmit volume......if the signal strength is good.
    The BRP factory installed CB system has a high SWR, upwards of 4 IIRC. When I was trying to figure out my CB squeal problem I got a meter. Even with a Firestik No Ground Plane antenna with length adjustment I can't get the SWR down to 1.5 across all channels. I think I got it down to 1.45 on channel 1 but it climbs to over 2 on channel 40. Or something on that order. It's been almost 2 years since I battled with the squeal, only to finally determine it must have been a short in the headset coil cord.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You probably have a preamp but just don't know it since it is likely built into the cord connectors or in the helmet module of whatever system you have.
    Maybe. I really don't care because mine works OK.

I suggest that the person who is having the problem check with whomever they bought the headset from.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Preferences/Audio/CB. Options are LO & DX.
    Yep, it's right there.
    Mine was set to DX.
    Will have to test it to see what difference LOcal makes.

All the rest of those settings have to do with the audio going to the speakers/headset.
    I suspect that one will too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP factory installed CB system has a high SWR, upwards of 4 IIRC.
    Typical of a system that is just "thrown together" with parts from the lowest bidder.

BUT.....it still has virtually NO impact on the volume of the transmitted audio.
    It impacts ONLY the effective strength of the transmitted signal......and a small impact on the strength of the received signal too.

Spyder Garage

I need a longer microphone boom. Does anyone make one for the spyder?
    2016 RTS , GPS, entertainment cable. Outlets in trunk and trunk. White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't you move it a bit where it is attached to the helmet ?

And it doesn't have to be right in front of your mouth.
    Off to the side should work fine; maybe better even.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a LONG history of CB problems with the BRP integrated unit … weak transmit has not been one of my problems. A few things come to mind in the settings, that MIGHT make a difference. Also, you don't say if your wife is a passenger or on a separate bike … if passenger, the following should fix you up:

There are TWO settings in the AUDIO portion of the menus:
    • FADER adjusts front to back in increments of F1-F7 or P1-P7 (maybe B1-B7, working from memory) -- this is intended to balance the receive volume front to back. Since I never carry a passenger, I always have mine set to F7 (all to the front).
    • There is another setting that will set the percentage Front or percentage Back (again working from memory) -- I keep mine set to all front (50%) as I never carry a passenger.

In addition, you may be getting some interference from the VOX (voice activation) for the intercom. In the CB settings menu, it is the far right bar … hold the DOWN button on the left control to turn it off.

See if any of this makes a difference …. wish you success …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your feedback, still working the issues, cannot communicate on the intercom either.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the reply Ann. The Can Am is my wife’s rig and I ride my Goldwing. When she rides as a passenger on my bike we communicate fine so I know her headset is fine. But when she is on her Can Am and I’m on my bike she can her but not transmit. Also, we tested the intercom last night and cannot talk between us. Both of us have a J&M headset wired