Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Back pain - Ergonomic issue with my F3L

Hello,

I need help to figure out what I need to change ergonomically in my F3L setup to eliminate my back pain. I am not a health professional so I'm not sure of the name of the body part but it's the muscle(s) between the shoulder blades, maybe called the rhomboids. It starts after about one hour and it intensifies after that. I rode 300 miles today and I feel it. The last two hours were not as fun as they should be. I am 5'10'' and the bike is stock. I would like to determine whether the reach is too far, too close, too high, certainly not too low. I think as a minimum I could rotate down the handlebar. This would give me a shorter and lower reach.

Anyone out there experienced something similar and found a fix?

I should mention that anyone tempted to say I should get in shape, please restrain yourself. I do weights, row, cycle, paddle a kayak, hike, etc. that is not the issue. The issue is how I hold the handlebar!

Thanks for any help.

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Why don't you get someone to take a side photo off you sitting on it with your hands on the bars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Why don't you get someone to take a side photo off you sitting on it with your hands on the bars.
    Good idea, will do! Thanks

Spyder Garage

OK, getting photos of you on the bike is a good idea. Since you're in shape why not then take the pictures to your physician or a physical therapist and see if he/they can suggest stretching or remedial exercises that may help alleviate the pain. Just because one is in "good" shape does not necessarily mean all one's muscles are properly conditioned.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am also 5-10 and find the seat tortuous when I'm in it for more than a half hour. I have osteoarthritis and will be getting a hip replacement soon. Shortly after that, I will do what I've done to bikes for years; go to a saddle customizer and have that seat tailored to fit my butt. My customizer takes posture into consideration when doing the job and makes certain my legs and arms are in proper riding position too. You might consider doing that too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

As above...get a good seat tailor made and maybe so bar risers may help as well... Nothing worse than back pain I have osteoarthritis in my crumbling spine... so always take pain killers with you as well on a longer ride!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Sit on your bike, in your usual riding position, close your eyes and put your arms out where you feel would be a comfortable riding position, open your eyes and see how this compares to your current setup. I feel that the stock bars require you to reach too far so I got the short reach bars which help but I would still like them to be closer and lower. I’m 5’10” and typically ride 500 miles or more a day.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You cannot rotate the OEM handlebars, they're pinned in place. You haven't said whether or not you're using a backrest. If not, that would help immensely.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

RoxRisers bring the handlebars closer and also provide quite a bit of adjustment up and down.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I am also 5-10 and find the seat tortuous when I'm in it for more than a half hour. I have osteoarthritis and will be getting a hip replacement soon. Shortly after that, I will do what I've done to bikes for years; go to a saddle customizer and have that seat tailored to fit my butt. My customizer takes posture into consideration when doing the job and makes certain my legs and arms are in proper riding position too. You might consider doing that too.
    Due to arthritis and many years of abuse, I had almost given up on riding, tried every combination of seats and bars to no avail. In the past 12 months I have had both hips replaced and now find I can comfortably ride 200+ mi days on the stock seat. MAJOR LIFE CHANGER!!!!
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

Do you have a rider backrest? I found that having a backrest will allow you to relax back and relieve back pain - shoulders to lower back.
    Couldn't ride my F3 without it!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Get floorboards.Being able to move around and foot placement goes a long way for comfort.

Spyder Garage

Carbon 60 took my pain away and also many others.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your comments and advice. It seems I may need a shorter reach. I bought the backrest yesterday, I will install it and see how it goes. I figured it can't be a negative even if it does not fix the issue. Changing to the shorter reach Ufit bars seem to be quite expensive. Someone mentioned Rox Risers. Are there any other options to shorten the reach?

Thanks

J

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue and the backrest fixed it completely!
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

I have heard that when you are sitting on your seat your arms should be almost flat with your shoulders, for a perfect ergonomic fit. But a good chiropractor would be a good start! good luck. Your neck and back may need a cracking so to can make some tracken
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I have heard that when you are sitting on your seat your arms should be almost flat with your shoulders, for a perfect ergonomic fit.
    My goodness......that would mean I would need to install a set of 18” apehangers, Mikey .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

When heading straight, there should be a slight elbow bend in your arms.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Thank you all for your comments and advice. It seems I may need a shorter reach. I bought the backrest yesterday, I will install it and see how it goes. I figured it can't be a negative even if it does not fix the issue. Changing to the shorter reach Ufit bars seem to be quite expensive. Someone mentioned Rox Risers. Are there any other options to shorten the reach?

Thanks

J
    I had the same problem. A backrest did the job, WITH Rox Risers. The rox risers are cheap and easy to install. Big difference nin comfort. I now do 600 kms a day and feel fresh.

All the best.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red

Spyder Garage

Hi all,

I bought and installed the BRP backrest. Not cheap. I went out for a ride and could feel an immediate difference. The backrest allows me to adopt a straighter, more upright, and closer position. The upper back muscles are not activated and I feel more relaxed. At least now I know that a shorter reach is the fix. Not sure the backrest is all I need to change. I may look at the Rox Riser and the short reach handlebar, not a cheap solution!

Thanks for all your help.

J

Spyder Garage

Concur with SpyderAnn. Short reach bars, Rox risers, backrest, floorboards, custom saddle to fit you. It should not hurt! With the right set up, it should be the most comfortable seat you own. Ours are. Pain never enters in the conversation. Very hard to enjoy the ride in pain. A proper windshield is key, too. Another overlooked area is helmet weight. Lighter is better. All the pieces have to work together. Believe me, figuring out your combinations takes time. Only you can decide, but feet, seat, hands, windshield, posture are key elements. Once you got it, riding is a joy!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I checked BRP's install instructions for the short reach handlebar. They recommend having the dealer do it. Is this something people do themselves, DIY. I suppose the main issue is torquing, provided of course everything is in the right place and alignment is good.

Spyder Garage

I gave up on two wheels due to pain in my left knee and groin pain. Have since found out all of the pain is associated with arthritis in both hips. Purchased my F3T so that I wouldn't have to rely on my left leg to ride. Madstad shield ,Ultimate tallboy seat and floor boards at position 5 and I can now ride all day. I'm only 5'9" but being stretched out seems to help a lot.

Main advice is see a doctor. If I'd have seen him sooner I might have been able to save some money. Diclofenac Sodium is doing wonders for the pain. I want to get some trips in this summer before I'm forced to schedule my hip replacements.

Note: Ultimate seat is working out well for me. But you sit higher than stock or Mustang seats. Had a 20in shield and just had to order a 22in replacement shield to compensate for the height.

Spyder Garage

I bought and installed the backrest and the short reach bars. looks like the combo will help. I went out for one hour today with no issues. I'll know more when I go for a longer ride.

Thanks for all your comments.

J

Spyder Garage

I have a backrest and the Rox risers on my 2018 F3. We just took our first "real" ride this weekend. 583 miles over 2 days. I found that even with both of those add ons, my back still hurt. What I realized for me is that I tended to try and actually lean against the backrest. That put my hands just a little too far from the bars. I noticed that if I adjusted my posture to a more straight up position, it lessened the pain dramatically. My back was still against the rest, I just stopped trying to lean against it. I'm thinking about modifying the backrest with a piece of 1 inch foam to help to straighten me up a bit.
    2018 F3