Spyder Garage

Default Question on re-flashing an ECU

I'm seriously thinking of getting my ECU re-flashed by Monster/ Wick and have a question on future software updates by BRP. How frequently does BRP actually update the ECU during maintenance? If I do get the flash done, during these maintenance updates, will they over-write the performance flash or are these upgades done to a different region of the ECU progams. I'm recalling when I got my ECU done on my C14. The guy showed me how routine upgrades didn't venture that far down in the progams and wouldn't get over written. I'm just wondering if this would be the same with this flash. Oh, I have a 2016 F3T Ltd, almost forgot to mention that. Thanks folks.
    Life is attitude, be positive!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by always young View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of getting my ECU re-flashed by Monster/ Wick and have a question on future software updates by BRP. How frequently does BRP actually update the ECU during maintenance? If I do get the flash done, during these maintenance updates, will they over-write the performance flash or are these upgades done to a different region of the ECU progams. I'm recalling when I got my ECU done on my C14. The guy showed me how routine upgrades didn't venture that far down in the progams and wouldn't get over written. I'm just wondering if this would be the same with this flash. Oh, I have a 2016 F3T Ltd, almost forgot to mention that. Thanks folks.
    I can’t speak for Monster, but Jase (in Oz) told me there were two options. The first was to ride in and he would remove the side panel and plug straight in to the ECU to upload the new map. This could then be overwritten at service time by the dealer, and would have to be done again.

The other option was to remove the ECU from my 2016 F3-L (either me removing it and mailing it, or Jase removing it in the shop), Jase then opening the unit and effectively hard loading the new map into the unit, so it could not be overwritten by the dealer.

I chose the second option, and as it is a 7hour ride to his shop, and torrential rain was forecast for days, I pulled the unit and mailed it to him. He received it Monday morning and shipped it back Wednesday morning.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I can’t speak for Monster, but Jase (in Oz) told me there were two options. The first was to ride in and he would remove the side panel and plug straight in to the ECU to upload the new map. This could then be overwritten at service time by the dealer, and would have to be done again.

The other option was to remove the ECU from my 2016 F3-L (either me removing it and mailing it, or Jase removing it in the shop), Jase then opening the unit and effectively hard loading the new map into the unit, so it could not be overwritten by the dealer.

Pete
    Hmmmm, this is how Monster does it and Steve told me it would still get overwritten if an update was performed by the dealer.... Weird!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Post EDU over written question.

Thanks guys for the input. I emailed Monster today and got a reply from Steve. Nice guy and he answered my questions. Basically, yes it could be over written by the dealer but he said such updates don't happen often with the Spyder. With ATV's this does happen frequently. He said they would reformat it again for the price of S& H. So, I'll be pulling it this weekend and send it off. I also talked with the guy at Wick-it yesterday and he was very helpfull with my questions as well.
    Life is attitude, be positive!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Hmmmm, this is how Monster does it and Steve told me it would still get overwritten if an update was performed by the dealer.... Weird!
    Maybe Jase has an extra trick ot two

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Maybe Jase has an extra trick ot two

Pete
    Maybe there's a reason that BRP have been known to fly Jase half way around the World to fix ECU's buggered by dealers & others and/or to upgrade machines for their 'special customers' &/or for the various competitions & comp machines they support? Or could that be why he (& therefore the buyers of his ECU Upgrades) pay something more to cover the various OE licenses? I really don't know specifically, but I too asked if a dealer could over-write the ECU Xtreme upgrades he does, and he was positive that it'd take a whole lot more than anything the average dealer could muster to over-write his Upgrades, but even in the extremely unlikely event that it did ever happen, he kept copies of the base settings plus the upgrades for each tune he did so that if I sent it back he could restore it quickly & easily! But my 2013 RT has been in to the Dealer & had the ECU read/updated a couple of times since, & as many can well attest, his tune is still in there & doing its thing admirably!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Does this information mean dealers cannot tell a performance flash has been done and therfore will not effect the warranty?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by always young View Post
    Thanks guys for the input. I emailed Monster today and got a reply from Steve. Nice guy and he answered my questions. Basically, yes it could be over written by the dealer but he said such updates don't happen often with the Spyder. With ATV's this does happen frequently. He said they would reformat it again for the price of S& H. So, I'll be pulling it this weekend and send it off. I also talked with the guy at Wick-it yesterday and he was very helpfull with my questions as well.
    You're going to love it..the 1330 has a lot of untapped horsepower...you'll see!! Are you getting stage I or stage II?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    Does this information mean dealers cannot tell a performance flash has been done and therfore will not effect the warranty?
    If the RPM limit is raised, its a dead giveaway the ECU has been tampered. If they REALLY wanted to know, they can figure it out.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame