Spyder Garage

Default Helmet/Riding Position question...

So, in anticipation of getting my Ryker- I’ve been starting to research/purchase gear.
    After reading/watching a lot of reviews, I decided to get an HJC RPHA 11 helmet... I got a smoking deal on it ($255), and was feeling pretty amazing- until I watched this review:
    https://youtu.be/SpYYJkt8Z58
    He makes a point several times of saying this is a racing ONLY helmet & that it would be a terrible choice for touring.
    I don’t know enough to know whether to be worried or not, lol.
    I’ll be riding the bike, here in FL, mostly short trips (under 2 hours to Tampa & Orlando from where I’m at... roughly 1 hour to either the Gulf of Mexico, or the Atlantic), certainly not what I’d consider ”touring”, I guess... which I always considered like driving across a few states or whatever.
    That being said- it looks like the riding position on a Ryker is pretty much fully upright; am I correct in saying that? What kind of inefficiencies will I see in my racing helmet, in that riding position? Just a bit noisier? Can I solve most of it w/ the chin strap? Will I have to dip my head a bit to get proper airflow? Lol- these are the things going through my mind... I welcome any and all info/advice.

Spyder Garage

I have the RPHA 10 and it works just fine for any style of riding, has plenty of ventilation and the face shield has a de-fogging position which allows more air flow. I use it with a Ninja 1000, V-Strom 650 which has a Madstad windscreen, and a BMW R1100RT and it works just fine for all of them so I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    And I did use it with my Spyder in my avatar and it worked just fine with that also. Plan on getting another Spyder in the near future and this will still be my helmet of choice.
    2015 F3 S , Silver and orange

Spyder Garage

Helmets are like ice cream. We all like different flavors. The RPHA is a great helmet, but not for everyone. I like HJC, my wife not so much so she buys Arai. As far as noise you can always add ear protection of some type which isn't really a bad idea. I like the cheap foam ear plugs myself. YOU must make the final decision as to whether the RPHA is a personal best for you.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

+1 on ear plugs. If I forget them I'm always amazed at how much wind noise there is.
    They may or may not be legal where you live, but I never heard of anyone getting busted for it.

Spyder Garage

Before you buy something else to consider: Snell rating
    https://www.smf.org/cert

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

What they are saying about the RPHA 11, and similar helmets, is that they are specifically designed to be aerodynamic and most efficient when used in a tuck or lean forward riding style as used by crotch rocket riders. As you sit more upright, as you will on a Spyder, Ryker or other similar motorcycle, you will lose the aerodynamic design. Buffeting and noise may increase while airflow through the helmet (ventilation) will be compromised. If you can live with this then you might love the helmet.

I just purchased this helmet. The HJC RPHA 70 St. It is very similar to the RPHA 11 that you purchased, but designed for a more upright riding style. I love the helmet. It's light, fits me better than any helmet I have ever owned and goes great with my Adrelin Red (Orange) Ryker. It is a joy to wear.

You can see a review of this helmet here.
    https://youtu.be/5t6FgQtdzQY

HJC.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-28-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice guys!
    I’m going to order up some earplugs.
    Still on the fence on whether I was going to get a windshield... do you think that will help negate, or rather- compensate for, some of the loss in aerodynamics from using a race helmet in full upright?

Spyder Garage

I have a full face with very similar design. It is not the HJC, but it is so similar it would be almost impossible to tell the difference if the name was not on it. I do not have a windshield. The helmet is very quiet and there is no need to tuck you head or anything. I have bluetooth music in the helmet that is clear at most any legal speed. Looking at just one review does not give you the full picture.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I have a full face with very similar design. It is not the HJC, but it is so similar it would be almost impossible to tell the difference if the name was not on it. I do not have a windshield. The helmet is very quiet and there is no need to tuck you head or anything. I have bluetooth music in the helmet that is clear at most any legal speed. Looking at just one review does not give you the full picture.
    Man, thank you so much for the encouraging info!
    Lol, I must worry too much. I thought it was weird that I had seen a bunch of reviews & it was only one in particular insisting that this was a “horrible choice” for anything other than racing.

I'm brand new at this & just want to gear up appropriately and competently.
    I’m in FL, so it’s hot af... I found basically a long sleeved undershirt w/ CE armor slid in (from Moose), to wear under a football jersey or something. I never see riders here wearing any gear, but I’d rather be as safe as possible; without passing out from heat exhaustion, lol.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by topper24hours View Post
    Man, thank you so much for the encouraging info!
    Lol, I must worry too much. I thought it was weird that I had seen a bunch of reviews & it was only one in particular insisting that this was a “horrible choice” for anything other than racing.

I'm brand new at this & just want to gear up appropriately and competently.
    I’m in FL, so it’s hot af... I found basically a long sleeved undershirt w/ CE armor slid in (from Moose), to wear under a football jersey or something. I never see riders here wearing any gear, but I’d rather be as safe as possible; without passing out from heat exhaustion, lol.

I am maybe 80 miles north of you. It is too hot to wear full gear in the summer. You can get a light mesh jacket with armor in it. The mesh lets the air circulate and the armor is only in the most critical places. Mesh jacket with a t-shirt would probably be cooler than getting undershirts with armor. Same with pants or chaps...... you can get mesh that allows air to circulate and has armor in the critical places. Mesh is not that expensive. Don't even bother with the leather jackets that have the zipper panels to allow air inside when it is over 100 degrees. They are good in the fall or early spring, useless when it gets over 100 degrees.

I wear a Bell 500 open face helmet with a wrap shield on it when it is real hot and for short rides to town for parts etc. If it is just 15 or 20 miles the open face is cooler. It is more wind noise, but for a short trip I am not concerned with wind noise so much. For 75 or 175 miles I would wear the full face.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have a silver mesh textile suit. I find that (when moving) it's actually cooler than no suit, the silver color reflects a surprising amount of sun.

I ride with a full face helmet. For a while I also had an open-faced helmet with a flat shield, it was actually quieter than the full-face... but I started thinking that if something happens I really want the chin bar.

As for earplugs, the disposable foam plugs seem to have the best noise reduction.