Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 595LM Cradle Disappointment

So, today I was installing my new Garmin Zumo 595LM. Take the Tupperware off, cut the AMP Superseal off the installed Zumo 550 and pulled the wire from the interior of the bike.

Soldered and heat shrink in place the new Superseal on the 595 power wires. Plugged it in before snaking the wire through the body, installed the 595 in the cradle, and key on check. No go on the Zumo. Rats.

Checked for power to the cradle. Power makes it to the downstream side of the Garmin installed 3A fuse (pulled fuse out enough to check with meter). No power on any of the cradle pins. No 12VDC or 5VDC anywhere.

Did verify ground is making it through. Looked for the cradle wiring diagram and pin-out, only found the 660 cradle diagram. Does anyone know what the pins are for the 590 or 595? They're the same I'm told.

So I guess Can Am isn't the only ones subbing out to the cheapest bidder. From what I've read this is an issue with the Garmin cradles. I like it when a product works exactly like is supposed to. I'm wondering if I'm going to regret buying Garmin? The GPS itself works great, but if the mount is inferior?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

My Zumo 590 cradle has been working fine for nearly five years and 50,000+ miles. From how many really authoritative sources have you heard this is, "an issue with Garmin cradles"? That's a pretty big tar brush. Why not call Garmin on Tuesday, assume they'll be closed for Memorial Day.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Have you been inside the cradle itself? A quick internet search found photos of others that have been inside the cradle to access the connector. Those photos should guide you to validate a bad crimp to the pin or other reason for no power.

Spyder Garage

Maybe there is info here to be found.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/

Bummer, but you would not be the first to report having Garmin cradle issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My Zumo 590 cradle has been working fine for nearly five years and 50,000+ miles. From how many really authoritative sources have you heard this is, "an issue with Garmin cradles"? That's a pretty big tar brush. Why not call Garmin on Tuesday, assume they'll be closed for Memorial Day.
    I agree, I probably overstated. Advanced search can and does turn up all kinds of cradle problems, no output to various functions, but probably on the whole not too bad as a total percentage. I was frustrated that I got he bad apple. I've done 2 things already, started a case with Garmin via Email (probably take weeks) and went ahead and purchased a second cradle new from eBay. At least I can get the unit up and running!

I'm not going into the cradle as I want Garmin to take it back and send me new one. So far my Spyder project has presented me with 2 quality control issues. First was the Kenda tires, one on th front was so out of round that it wouldn't balance, so I cut my losses and replaced with Vredesteins, now the Garmin cradle DOA. Not too bad, considering!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

My whole 590 setup came from the dealer so I don't know what exists farther down the wire line other than the heavy cable that goes down into the bowels of the Spyder. Have faith in Garmin as they appear to me to stand behind their products. They replaced the battery for my Zumo under warranty, no questions asked, after giving me some instructions on overnight charging that didn't solve the problem. They didn't even want the bad one back to test it. I had to give up on my second set of Kenda fronts after one tire could no longer be balanced. Don't know what specifically may have gone bad with it but my dealer gave it three good shots and it just would no longer balance. My Evo 595s run very well.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My Zumo 550 has been running for many years. It died on the road one day, Garmin replaced it with a refurbished unit at about the price of a screen replacement (seem to remember $50). I'm upgrading the 550, one of the features I like from my dealings with other Garmins in my cars is next turn guidance. You don't know until you know! When my Zumo 550 died. I adapted a Nuvi to my bike, wrapped it in a Ziploc, and made my merry way. When I saw turn guidance it brought back vivid memories of Oklahoma City, 80-85 MPH traffic, and not knowing which lane to be in for the exit.

But, like all companies grasping after the profit margin, I suspect QC takes a hit. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a dozen electric tools. I bet more of them fail than if you'd have bought a quality name branded (but still made in China) tool. It's all about profit margins.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Garmin cradles are either DOA or when installed can get damaged easy. I learned to test them before installing. Other than that I never had any issues with the Garmin GPS.