Spyder Garage

Default Mileage vs fuel remaining

So, I got the new 20.8 firmware. Now it shows how many miles left in the tank. Great, but there is a problem. First time I filled up after the update, it shows 250 miles. WOW. Great. Well, not so great. After about 10 miles, it dropped to 210 miles. A dozen more miles and now it's only 184 and so on. The next fill up, it only showed 194 miles.
    Does any of you believe that this is accurate? I don't. Just another gimmick from BRP......
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Some times they should just leave things alone, and stop trying to reinvent the wheel!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I think the miles left to empty is accurate and re adjusts real time very quickly as you drive. Mine seems spot on after about 1o miles of filling up.

Spyder Garage

Give it a few tanks to calibrate to your riding style.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

I tried to check actual range on mine, at around 30 miles left it went to dashed lines. I had calculated my max tank mileage on my last couple of tanks, and I knew (thought I knew) I was running on fumes. About 15 miles later (190 miles), pulled up at the pump and could only fit about 5.3 gallons in. I think the RTL has 6.9 (Specs?) gallons. SO, when all the level bars go away it seems to zero out thee miles to empty.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think it's so much of an Accuracy thing … if the device is working as designed … it calibrates based on the manner in which you have just driven …. it can't tell you what hasn't happened yet ….. so geography, speeds, acceleration, braking etc. are un-knowns …. I'm sure it will be close, but short of a physical site tube, ( which we don't have ) you are taking a chance on when the engine will stop because you are at absolute empty ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Like the weather....

We have been looking at this ever since they put a fuel gauge on a motorcycle. Remember the old days when you looked into the tank to see what was there...? Then came the reserve petcock where when you ran out you could switch to reserve and head to the gas station. The variables were still the same, when, where, ryding style traffic etc. and I found that ryding to empty and checking the mileage was my best meter. Still only a good reference. Now with the digital gauges and computers running the calculations things get sensetive. Due to the design of the tanks and the placement of the sensors fuel consumption is not an even drop that you can rely on. Being a computer it does need to gather data to make the calculations so perhaps it need a few tankfuls. Remember that the tank capasity does not consider the air space as you can not fully fill the tank anyway. My RS 2012 has a 6.6 gal capasity and yesterday on a lunch ryde I thiought I could make it home after the last bar disappeared. I carry a liter extra fuel but then thought why.... so at 170 miles I stopped for fuel and found that I only got 5.6 gals to full. This would mean that I technacally would have a gallon left meaning I could get 198 miles to the tank if full. In the end I have found that when that little red light comes on.... get gas and enjoy your ryde....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    Does any of you believe that this is accurate? I don't. Just another gimmick from BRP......
    It is getting more accurate.......as it is able to measure your riding habits and get a better number for average fuel consumption.

Like all fuel gauges, you should NOT treat it as gospel but after a few more fillups it should be a good tool.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    and I knew (thought I knew) I was running on fumes. About 15 miles later (190 miles), pulled up at the pump and could only fit about 5.3 gallons in. I think the RTL has 6.9 (Specs?) gallons.
    The usable capacity is almost always different than the total tank capacity.
    YOu might actually have been pretty close to "fumes".
    My guess based on some limited experience: you had about a half gallon usable gas left.....maybe 15 to 20 miles.

Regardless of what gauge or measurement you look at, it will ALWAYS tell you that it is empty a bit before it really IS.
    That used to be called a "reserve".

Spyder Garage

I have a F3L which has a 27 liter (7.1 US gallon) tank as compared to the RT with a 26 liter (6.9 US gallon) tank. After a fill up. The kms to go will read up to 450 kms to go. After a few miles it will drop to around 400 kms (250 mi.). I reset trip A with every fill up and have it active on the display. Adding the 2 together will always be around 400 kms. Except right after fill up. It is normal to get about 400 kms (250 miles) on a tank. No bars on gage. With some reserve left of 30 to 40 kms (20 to 25 miles).

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have run it down until the low fuel light comes on several times and it still has about 2 gallons left. The miles left is calculating at about 30 MPG and I am actually getting closer to 35 MPG. Went back to setting the trip odometer every time I fill up like I been doing on my last 15 motorcycles. I don't trust the computer as much as I trust knowing how many miles a tank will go. Have never run it down to the last gallon, but run it way past the low fuel light a number of times.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver