Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I had similar problems on my F3 with overheating at low speeds the dealer tells me it was a bad manifold allowing the motor to run rich causing a overheating problem it’s hopefully fixed picking it up tomorrow about a $750 fix thank goodness for extended warranty!!!

Spyder Garage

Well.. my over heating issue is getting worse..I had the cooling system flushed and my mechanic recommended Engine Ice coolant. I went ahead and had him replace the original coolant with the Engine Ice. Yesterday I went for a 100 mi ride with friends and all was well until we stopped for a few minutes on the way home. Got on the bike and temp was fine within a mile the fans were on but the temp bars were at 4.. so normal. Kept going and all of a sudden the temp alert icon lit up and of course the bike just about stops in it's tracks. I cranked on the throttle (one dealership told me to go faster when the bike was overheating) and the bike balked then jumped and the temp went down to normal. I rode the final 20 miles home with out an issue. So today I get on the bike to go and run a few errands and before I got 1 mile down the road the high temp light went on. I am guessing that the thermostat is the issue as the temp just jumps up and then goes right back down to 4 bars. Any thoughts?
    2018 F3 L Red Pearl
    Heated Ultimate Seat
    Sway bar, Fog lights, F4 long floorboards,
    F4 windscreen hand wings and leg wings,
    Garmin GPS

Spyder Garage

If it cools when its moving at speed, but gets hot while at idle, it is likely an airflow issue not a thermostat. My first thought would also be dirty or clogged fins as others have mentioned.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodon View Post
    If it cools when its moving at speed, but gets hot while at idle, it is likely an airflow issue not a thermostat. My first thought would also be dirty or clogged fins as others have mentioned.
    It doesn't get hot when just idling.. my mechanic had it running for 40 minutes and no temp spikes at all. I will check out the rad fins but they look clean from the outside.
    2018 F3 L Red Pearl
    Heated Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If it is a thermostat, know that this is NOT an inexpensive fix. The thermostat and water pump are both one unit. My bike is in the shop now for a stuck thermostat and the dealer quoted me close to 1K for repair except mine is being covered by warranty. Another engineering genius from BRP..... Jim
    $1,000 to replace a thermostat! Ay carumba!

Spyder Garage

I spend $630 to replace my water pump and 5000 miles later, everything is running normal. no more overheating

Spyder Garage

OK.. here we go again.. Had the shop replace the water pump, thermostat and temp sensor. They also purged the cooling system. Picked up the bike and within 1/4mile the bike overheated. Turned around and went back to the shop. Left the bike running and still showing HOT. All bars and high temp icon on. Service manager got on and rode it around to the back of the shop and in 100 feet the temp dropped down to normal. He rode it around on the road for about 20 miles and could not recreate the issue. Checked the engine temp and temp around the rad hoses with laser temp gun and all is normal. Gave us the gun to take home in case it happened again. No issues on 90mi ride home. No issues the next day on 150mi ride. Bike sat for 3 days and when I got on to take it to gas up before a long day trip (400mi) it showed over heating in about 1.5 miles. Stopped and checked all the temps and all were normal. Even the rads were still at ambient air temp. Filled up with gas and on the way home the temp dropped to normal. All of this happened within 5 miles of riding. The service manager says there is no way that there is an air pocket in the cooling system. He doesn't have a clue so is going to contact Can-Am and see if they can give any insight. Anyone care to make a suggestion of what else could be wrong?
    2018 F3 L Red Pearl
    Heated Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS

Spyder Garage

I've got a 4th gen Camaro, LS1 these cars are notorious for being extremely difficult to get all of the air out of the cooling system. Very similar to the Camaro symptoms of not getting them purged completely. I'm not sure how difficult these are to purge but this started w/ a low coolant level, and when the svc manager took it at low speed around back it could have passed a bubble and started cooling...