Spyder Garage

Default under AUD$100.00 exhaust

Being fairly noise conscious, I removed the cat eliminator pipe which was coupled to the standard muffler [F3-S] after a couple of early morning rides as I didn't want to upset the neighbours, even though there is some distance between us [rural]. Unhappy with the OEM set up noisewise, I decided to purchase a cheap motorcycle muffler and mate it to the cat converter and see where this leads. Looked on ebay and purchased a very cheap, but quite surprising quality, Akrapovic knock off. After measuring up, I made a crude 50mm link pipe. Pic.2,3. The flare was made by measuring 15 mm in from the end and marking around the pipe. Holding the pipe at approx. 45 degrees with the mark around the pipe on the edge of the vice, I tapped on the inside of the pipe with a small hammer while slowly rotating. Took about 20mins to make, and bit of fiddling to get it to mate to the end of the cat. Now the test. WOW, I was completely surprised by the exhaust sound. Really really good, and not only does it sound like a triple should, It's only slightly louder than the OEM system. Very happy with the outcome, I purchased a 50mm exhaust bend, cut it to size, flared one end which was way easier to do than the experimental one, welded on the exhaust spring clips and painted it with VHT paint. Not a good choice as it stains quite easily. This link pipe gets very hot and I'll try some other paints.
    My phone does not do the exhaust note justice, so I haven't included it. My riding mates think it sounds like a motorcycle should.
    These mufflers weigh almost nothing, come in a range of lengths [my exhaust 375mm long] in stainless/carbon etc. with all fittings including a baffle if needed. Really don't care if it doesn't last for years and years. Aesthetically, I think mine looks a little short. I'll probably purchase a 475mm long one.
    I have ridden 1200+ klms since installation with no problems.
    In all, at a total cost of AUD$93.00 for the link pipe bend and the muffler, and I wouldn't cared if it had cost $500+, I've got what I wanted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

No loss of back pressure or torque Treva?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    No loss of back pressure or torque Treva?
    Yes Airborne, a little loss of both for about 5-10 minutes [computer adjusting] and I was using little throttle then all was good. Hard to prove without a dyno, but It seems to have more getup and go...Treva

Spyder Garage

Good efort mate, i am not that proficiat in these matters and whats simpl to you is not to a three fingered clod like me, however i know plenty of people around who are so i figure show them you post and Bingo!

Where did you get the exhaust from Treva, ebay maybe?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    Good efort mate, i am not that proficiat in these matters and whats simpl to you is not to a three fingered clod like me, however i know plenty of people around who are so i figure show them you post and Bingo!

Where did you get the exhaust from Treva, ebay maybe?
    Thanks Airborne, I had no heat at time I made the flare. One of our sons had borrowed my oxy/acetylene kit. Way easier if one uses heat and your mates will know this if they know their stuff. Quite easy. The hardest part is knowing how long to make the pipe with the flare which attaches to the cat converter before it turns 90degree then into the muffler. Your mates will sort this out. I purchased mine off ebay for AUD$75.00 with free shipping but it was the last one. You'll find one to your liking. If I can be of any help just ask...Treva.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Treva and i'll contact you if i have problems. thats all im after, not a lot of noise just better than stock.

Spyder Garage

G'day Treva

You could try getting the bend ceramic coated.

I did this with my cat delete on my twin, after 10 minutes of running the muffler was hot but the cat delete was very much cooler.

P.S. Where are located in Qld.

Cheers

Frank

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    G'day Treva

You could try getting the bend ceramic coated.

I did this with my cat delete on my twin, after 10 minutes of running the muffler was hot but the cat delete was very much cooler.

P.S. Where are located in Qld.

Cheers

Frank
    Hello Frank, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to purchase a 50mm s/steel bend and see what that looks like. I'll probably go down the ceramic coating road as well.
    I'm located in the Sunshine Coast hinterland. If you are ever coming up this way let me know......Treva