Spyder Garage

Default More Rear Wheel Bearing Questions??

Sorry!

Reading everything I can find from the very earliest days, one thing I see is absent in the discussions about bearing crossover.

When crossing over from OEM part numbers to universal bearing identifier numbers, I never see the internal clearance specification noted. Usually you see 6205-2RS as the number.

I've seen people from other sites recommend 2 types of bearings. A C3 suffix, meaning slightly loose for high temperature and load applications, and specifically not for motorcycles (though all the parts counter folks say they work fine for motorcycles, and a C0 (that's a zero) or CN suffix meaning standard or normal clearance. For some reason the C3's are easier to find and cheaper.

Has anyone come across this in their bearing quest? I can't find much if anything on what we actually have. American bearings in this size have almost gone extinct except NOS on eBay or Amazon. SKF Explorers seem to be made in Argentina now.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

didn't you ask about this last week ?
    as long as I can get OEM if needed then I'm okay
    Hey, if Argentina can make a respectable firearm, they can make a bearing.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    didn't you ask about this last week ?
    as long as I can get OEM if needed then I'm okay
    Hey, if Argentina can make a respectable firearm, they can make a bearing.
    I did in fact ask about bearings last week. This is a direct refinement of the question. I get folks quoting OEM part numbers, but no one matching the number on the bearing to the bearing position. I bought 2 SKF Explorer 6205-2RSJEM only to find out the JEM suffix means a 1 step looser bearing (C3 classification). I don't know what the Spyder is running, normal, tight, loose. They're all 6205-2RS, but if there's any numbers after all that it means something. Was hoping someone would chime in.

Argentina is fine for bearings. I did find a bunch of SKB made in USA and France bearings in C0 or CN fitment. The main thing I'm concerned about is the failure rate for the rears on the Spyder. Seems pretty high compared to almost every other bike, including my old Harley. I got 135,000 miles on them and only added grease as needed. Darned old clunker broke in every state I ever rode it in, but never had a wheel bearing problem.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I did in fact ask about bearings last week. This is a direct refinement of the question. I get folks quoting OEM part numbers, but no one matching the number on the bearing to the bearing position. I bought 2 SKF Explorer 6205-2RSJEM only to find out the JEM suffix means a 1 step looser bearing (C3 classification). I don't know what the Spyder is running, normal, tight, loose. They're all 6205-2RS, but if there's any numbers after all that it means something. Was hoping someone would chime in.

Argentina is fine for bearings. I did find a bunch of SKB made in USA and France bearings in C0 or CN fitment. The main thing I'm concerned about is the failure rate for the rears on the Spyder. Seems pretty high compared to almost every other bike, including my old Harley. I got 135,000 miles on them and only added grease as needed. Darned old clunker broke in every state I ever rode it in, but never had a wheel bearing problem.
    That is when the Timkin Bearing and cup was popular now everything has sealed bearings. And need to be replaced every so often. I would rather just pack the bearing and ride on like you said...