Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL - Left the key on, battery dead

Somehow I left the key on for a few days, battery dead. Jump started it then looked at codes, man that throws a lot of codes. A short ride to charge battery a little and I got to see limp home mode. Took battery out and am charging it with garden tractor and jumper cables. some times I wonder at the senior moments.
    2018 RTL--------------------------------2018 RTL
    Champagne Metallic-------------------Oxford Blue
    Lamonster Pegs------------------------Lamonster Pegs
    Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts----Motorcycle Dave Gel seat inserts
    Big Bike Parts Backrests--------------Big Bike Parts Backrests
    Magic Mirror mounts------------------Magic Mirror mounts
    Tri-Axis Handlebar---------------------Tri-Axis Handlebar
    KurYakyn Grips-------------------------Foam Grips

2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

The codes will clear when the battery is charged and reinstalled.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
    Somehow I left the key on for a few days, battery dead. Jump started it then looked at codes, man that throws a lot of codes. A short ride to charge battery a little and I got to see limp home mode. Took battery out and am charging it with garden tractor and jumper cables. some times I wonder at the senior moments.
    That charging method is going to take a very long time ….. Go to Walmart and get a Stanley Battery Maintainer for $15.00 and use it when you aren't riding it …...jmho … Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

am charging it with garden tractor and jumper cables. some times I wonder at the senior moments.
    Make that TWO critical mistakes.
    That is NOT a good way to charge a battery.

Odds are excellent that making it go completely flat like that killed it and now you need a new one.
    And while you are at it, get yourself a proper small automatic battery charger (tender).

At the very least the battery needs a proper charging (NO the bike won't do that) and a proper test.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had issues with leaving the key in place, and the lights on. I have since learned to tie the key to me. There's a fancy, spring-back key chain you can get. I prefer my yarn ropes, tied to a belt loop. It's my battery saver mod!

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Odds are excellent that making it go completely flat like that killed it and now you need a new one.
    And while you are at it, get yourself a proper small automatic battery charger (tender).

At the very least the battery needs a proper charging (NO the bike won't do that) and a proper test.
    IMHO, I would put that battery on a low AMP charger ( for about 2-3 hrs ) …. and then a maintainer for a few days., and see what happens …. I've run a few batteries down to effectively dead and brought them back to normal ….. However spending money for a new battery is good for the economy ...…………. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    [SIZE=2]I had issues with leaving the key in place, and the lights on.
    Let me guess: You stop the engine with the KILL switch, right ?
    You could re-train yourself to turn it off with the KEY !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've run a few batteries down to effectively dead and brought them back to normal …..
    Sure it is possible.

How successful that ends up being depends on several factors:
    How near to 0 it was discharged.
    How long it sat like that.
    How many times that has happened.

Each time it happens, you lose some on the end of it's useful life.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Old Trusty Battery Tender works well and has kept my Spyder and Harley charged for years. In fact I am on my 5th year for my stock Spyder battery. It should charge your battery if you leave your key on and let the battery go dead but would take awhile to recharge it.

I do in the winter unplug and replug at times of long storage it just to be sure it is maintaining.

Spyder Garage

Short version: I replaced the battery. I put the acid into battery, let set for an hour and put on charger for 2. Put battery in Spyder and went for short test ride. All codes cleared and runs good. We went for a couple hundred miles yesterday and it worked Flawless.
    Longer Version: While it was charging with the garden tractor hookup, I went to town and bought a smart charger. When I returned, turned off garden tractor and it tested 7.3 volts. I put it on the charger for a couple hours while I ate supper and when I checked it the charger had 'bad battery' code. The charge at this point was 7.4 volts. I restarted the charger it finally got to 9.7 volts. I disconnected it and checked it 30 minutes later and it was reading ~7 volts. I got a new battery and installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That charging method is going to take a very long time ….. Go to Walmart and get a Stanley Battery Maintainer for $15.00 and use it when you aren't riding it …...jmho … Mike
    I do have a battery tender and use it during the winter months when we can't ride for a week or so. We have a tender for both bikes and have used them on our previous rides, a 2014 Spyder and 2014 Harley Trike. I don't think they would have helped much with the key left on but it may have prevented it going completely dead and may have been able to bring it back. When we looked at the bikes in December before the purchase in late February, both bikes on the show room floor had dead batteries. This bike was a demo model so I know it was charged at some point but was dead when we tried to start in December so it may have been through this before. Buying a new battery is definitely a boost the economy and peace of mind after the low voltages I got during the resurrecting part of the troubleshooting.

I realized that charging with another vehicle was not a good way charge the battery so I got a charger. When I jump started it, it would run for a short time then the bike would turn off. I think this happens when it drops below 10v. The surface charge on the battery from the jump start would allow it to run for a bit. I rode it a half mile and got the limp home mode.

Let me guess: You stop the engine with the KILL switch, right ?
    You could re-train yourself to turn it off with the KEY !!!
    I don't use the kill switch, it was something more mundane than that. I record each ride, date, where and ending mileage. Then the spreadsheet calcs how far we went and keeps record of the rides. I think I went to bike to get mileage reading after a ride and just didn't turn the key off. A senior moment.

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    My Old Trusty Battery Tender works well and has kept my Spyder and Harley charged for years. In fact I am on my 5th year for my stock Spyder battery. It should charge your battery if you leave your key on and let the battery go dead but would take awhile to recharge it.

I do in the winter unplug and replug at times of long storage it just to be sure it is maintaining.
    The 2014 Spyder was on it's fourth year and still running good. The Harley Trike had a battery replacement just before I sold it. That battery was five years old.

trikermutha, you say the Spyder vs. the Harley is great. You couldn't have been more correct. As they say "Cadillac vs Mack Truck". Loving this ride, back still gives me fits when riding but not from the rough ride!

=bob=

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2014 Spyder was on it's fourth year and still running good. The Harley Trike had a battery replacement just before I sold it. That battery was five years old.

trikermutha, you say the Spyder vs. the Harley is great. You couldn't have been more correct. As they say "Cadillac vs Mack Truck". Loving this ride, back still gives me fits when riding but not from the rough ride!

=bob=[/QUOTE]

Glad to Hear! Wish I could do more riding around here it rains like every day now.. Plus I want to test my new M2 shocks out more to and dial those in.

You still have the stock seat and a backrest?? I see you have Dave's Gel Seat. Did that help you any?

Also do you have the Tri Axis Bars ? That helps even more

Spyder Garage

If you trade up Spyders every four years you will never have to buy a battery.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Glad to Hear! Wish I could do more riding around here it rains like every day now.. Plus I want to test my new M2 shocks out more to and dial those in.

You still have the stock seat and a backrest?? I see you have Dave's Gel Seat. Did that help you any?

Also do you have the Tri Axis Bars ? That helps even more
    Yeah, I still have the stock seat. The backrest, in the lowest position is about the only place I can have it. If I raise it up to a higher position it finds the tender spots in my back and will make the ride miserable. I usually just turn in over and ride without the benefit of the backrest. I don't have the Tri Axis bars. Yet. I have thought about them but still am not sure if there would be a benefit. The gel seat really helped with the 'tired butt' thing but I still ride with an air hawk as well. I installed the gel seats with the foam side down which is probably not correct but added the quarter inch foam to cover the gel. The doc says I have osteoporosis is what caused the back problems in the first place. He prescribed some, in my opinion, poison pill that I didn't dare take so I started KETO diet in January. Dropped 40 pounds so needed Gel seat to pad bony backside. The back aches don't stop me from riding but do make it unpleasant at times. This spyder is amazing in comparison.

=bob=

Oh, and the rain everyday is what caused the key to be left on for several days.

Spyder Garage

Somewhere here or on youtube I saw something about changing ONE fuse in the frunk left side fuse panel which makes the 12v female plug in the top case 'hot' all the time. You can plug in a battery tender there...

2 Wheels (ST1100, Marauder, Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel) 3 wheels (2018 Spyder RT Ltd)

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

I just wired the tender adaptor to the battery posts.

=bob=

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, I still have the stock seat. The backrest, in the lowest position is about the only place I can have it. If I raise it up to a higher position it finds the tender spots in my back and will make the ride miserable. I usually just turn in over and ride without the benefit of the backrest. I don't have the Tri Axis bars. Yet. I have thought about them but still am not sure if there would be a benefit. The gel seat really helped with the 'tired butt' thing but I still ride with an air hawk as well. I installed the gel seats with the foam side down which is probably not correct but added the quarter inch foam to cover the gel. The doc says I have osteoporosis is what caused the back problems in the first place. He prescribed some, in my opinion, poison pill that I didn't dare take so I started KETO diet in January. Dropped 40 pounds so needed Gel seat to pad bony backside. The back aches don't stop me from riding but do make it unpleasant at times. This spyder is amazing in comparison.

=bob=

Oh, and the rain everyday is what caused the key to be left on for several days.
    I hear you on the pain, But found a the Ultimate seat much better along with the backrest for me and the Tri Axis bars since I wanted them closer to me. Helped a lot for me.

If you want to Pm me about some bars I got. There is a small glitch. That's if you are interested.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just wired the tender adaptor to the battery posts.

=bob=
    Best way to do it IMO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Short version: I replaced the battery. I put the acid into battery, let set for an hour and put on charger for 2. Put battery in Spyder and went for short test ride.
    Mmmmm......did you read the instructions that came with the new battery ??

They usually require slow charging for 12 to 24 HOURS.
    Two is not nearly enough and the bike charging system is not a good substitute.

You need to charge it overnight now if you haven't already.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I read the instructions, don't tell anyone. I even followed them. The battery is working fine. It is an Interstate brand.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I read the instructions, don't tell anyone. I even followed them. The battery is working fine. It is an Interstate brand.

=bob=
    you do know that with age, comes wisdom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    you do know that with age, comes wisdom
    Then as of a couple days ago, I am a little wiser.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Had to get a battery in Fl. at the Volusia Co. Victory dealer. He would not sell it to me till he could slow charge it for 12 hours. Said it would void the warranty. I begged him because mine was so week. he wouldn't said riding would not charge it all the way up. First time I have heard that in buying batterys for 65 years. The original lasted 6.5 years and never been on a charger. Bike starts easy though.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5