Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shel Rotella T6

Spyder Garage

Default Shel Rotella T6

Just change my oil at 2,300 miles. Shell Rotella T6 is good stuff. The engine is running smoother and quieter. Noticeable difference. Inquiring minds need to know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    Just change my oil at 2,300 miles. Shell Rotella T6 is good stuff. The engine is running smoother and quieter. Noticeable difference. Inquiring minds need to know.
    Blend or full synthetic?
    ??W-??

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to apply for the rebate.......
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Don't forget to apply for the rebate.......
    I got my $17.50 back already! And use the T6, full synth, cheaper by the 2.5 gallon!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    I got my $17.50 back already! And use the T6, full synth, cheaper by the 2.5 gallon!
    Isn't this diesel oil?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    Isn't this diesel oil?
    Because of it's superior properties it's marketed as a Diesel oil ( because there are about 10,000 times more Diesels than Mtc's ), however it's also great for Spyders ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

5w40 full synthetic. I'm sold on it.

Spyder Garage

Inquiring minds need to know.
    Need to know what?

Spyder Garage

"Diesel Oil" needs to be good stuff to put up with the stress of a diesel engine going for 50,000 miles (or such) between changes!

PS, I think he means "Y'all need to know about this stuff (T6)!"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And its the right spec for wet clutchs
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2.5 gallon jug for the Ryker and the wife's Spyder. Had a $10.00 O'Riley's in store coupon and get the $17.50 rebate! Sweet! One oil for both bikes!
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer View Post
    I just bought a 2.5 gallon jug for the Ryker and the wife's Spyder. Had a $10.00 O'Riley's in store coupon and get the $17.50 rebate! Sweet! One oil for both bikes!
    Does it meet specifications for both? I understand that the Ryker has different specifications than the Spyder because it does not have a wet clutch. Been using the T6 in my Diesel F350 and VW Golf TDI, along with motorcycles for years - 506K on the F350 and 245K so far on the TDI. Like the oil and the price.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Look here: http://shop.sclubricants.com/rotella-t6-5w-40-synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Does it meet specifications for both? I understand that the Ryker has different specifications than the Spyder because it does not have a wet clutch. Been using the T6 in my Diesel F350 and VW Golf TDI, along with motorcycles for years - 506K on the F350 and 245K so far on the TDI. Like the oil and the price.

Regards,

Don
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

According to the technical data sheet on the T-6 5w-40 it does not state that it meets the SJ,SL,SM, or SJ specification that the Ryker owners manual specifies.

Spyder Garage

http://www.euris.rs/maziva/Rotela-T6.pdf

Here are the full specs for this product. It does meet those requirements.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    http://www.euris.rs/maziva/Rotela-T6.pdf

Here are the full specs for this product. It does meet those requirements.
    Looks like the spec sheet you linked to is an older version. Check out the link that Dragracer gave and the specs. are different.

Spyder Garage

When I reach 2500 ish miles I’m going to use what I’ve used in my cars which is AMSOIL.

Spyder Garage

Emailed Shell for clarification... will let you know when I hear anything back from them. Maybe the oil has been reformulated. Hope not!

Spyder Garage

While I wait for Shell's response... BajaRon is one of our oil guru's. I read back through threads and noticed that Rotella T6 was not recommended for the 998 due to Jaso ratings at that point in time. The recent spec sheet does carry MA/MA2 for wet clutches. Curious if you feel the same today, Ron. I'm not sure if they reformulated this product or scaled back their noted certifications. I'll report back if Shell adds any light to the issue. From their specs on the product page (no API SM rating appears there): API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo
    VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN
    M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

Being new to my "old" 2010RS, just don't want to do any damage to it. I'm currently running the BRP synth/blend, as some of the product was passed along at purchase from the previous owner.

Spyder Garage

Received an email from Shell that simply pointed to the Jaso ratings. It provided very little insight. I was able to find a Shell engineer's take on things on a post from Bobistheoilguy.com.

Previously, heavy duty engine oil marketers could claim an API gasoline performance standard on their products if they met CJ-4 and the required performance tests for gasoline standards. Additionally, a waiver was granted for claims of API gasoline performance in cases where products did not meet the chemical restrictions for gasoline specifications (specifically phosphorous limits required for SN).

The recommended viscosity grades for modern gasoline engines are XW-20s and XW-30s. As such, this waiver process is being phased out. Heavy duty engine oils which are XW-30s (and which claim API CK-4 approval) cannot also claim API gasoline standards unless they meet the current phosphorous requirements/limits. The new fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA� T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 is one such product that meets the performance requirements of API CK-4 as well as API SN and is formulated with 800 parts per million of phosphorous, which meets the API SN requirements.

While the industry waiver is still currently in existence for heavy duty engine oils that are XW-40�s, this remains in discussion to be addressed by the API in the near future. However, the Shell ROTELLA� brand has made the decision to remove API SN claims, regardless of viscosity, from our other products which do not meet the preferred low-phosphorous chemistry for gasoline engines. It is important to note that there is no change in formulation associated with this change. It simply means that Shell ROTELLA� products will no longer claim formal API SN approval for products other than our fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA� T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 on labels, technical data sheets, rotella.com and marketing materials moving forward.

- The Shell Rotella Team

Spyder Garage

Well, there are plenty of other 5w40 full synthetic out there that carry the SN API, Castrol Edge for one. If it were me and my new bike was under warranty I would make sure the oil carries the proper API Ratings and have it clearly marked on the bottle.

Spyder Garage

Question is... Whats wrong with the XPS oils? Besides the price, I see nothing wrong with using what the manufacturer recommends.

Spyder Garage

I'm headed out next week for Canada... 3500 miles or so to put on. I just thought it might be nice to have an oil that is readily available and not have to hunt for a BRP dealership if extra oil is needed. Also, the Rotella price point is great. But... don't need clutch problems. Changing oil today and using BRP synth blend 4T and carrying an extra quart along. If I need more... well let the hunting for a Canandian Spyder dealership commence. My Spyder is a 2010 RS ... anyone with one of these "classics" ... what oils are you using that makes the clutch happy?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TNRyker View Post
    Question is... Whats wrong with the XPS oils? Besides the price, I see nothing wrong with using what the manufacturer recommends.
    " What's wrong " with the XPS oils? - - IMHO most maybe all manufacture's adhere to " lowest bidder gets the job " or contract or using their part/product etc. …. A prime example of this with Spyders is their use of the KENDA tires ….. which are so weakly made - they carry a WARNING label embossed on the tire - " For special ( ie Spyders ) motorcycle use only " …. The tires have the same bead design as auto tires for use on Auto rims., but they WARN against using them on automobiles because they can't support the weight of ANY car made, not even the miniature " Smart "
    car. This isn't " my opinion " it is a proven fact …... BRP doesn't MAKE oil, they buy it from a supplier - they may even be buying it from Shell - it may even be Rotella T-6, but I doubt it ….. good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    And its the right spec for wet clutchs
    Which doesn't matter in a Ryker.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White