Spyder Garage

Default Both Headlights are fogging up on the inside - any quick fixes??

New (or at least first I've noticed):

Both lens are fogging up on the inside. I noticed this shortly after parking the bike after a short ride. Wondering if there's a quick fix or if it's a shop/warranty job? The fog fades fairly quickly, but I can see it could be a problem over time.
    Last edited by sKiZo; 04-17-2022 at 12:46 AM.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post

(PIC COMING)

Both lens are fogging up on the inside. I noticed this shortly after parking the bike after a short ride. Wondering if there's a quick fix or if it's a shop/warranty job? The fog fades fairly quickly, but I can see it could be a problem over time.
    I'm thinking the SEAL for the lens has a leak .... I don't think this is fixable .... They may both have to be re-placed .... very, very expensive .... As long as it clears up I'd leave it alone ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I was afraid they were sealed units ...

I put up the pic so you can see what I'm looking at here. it's the light gray band that runs down the middle of each lens towards the center of the bike.

I've already scheduled the bike in for it's initial service/tune and warranty work, so I'll ask the dealer to look into it. Mostly I'm worried about the lens itself collecting crap inside from repeated fogging.

Worth mentioning - it's been 40-50F when I notice the fog, so maybe just a seasonal thing.
    Last edited by sKiZo; 04-17-2022 at 12:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

They are a sealed. I hit a deer last fall. One cracked other destroyed. Both fog lights moved and one cracked. Both fog immediately now. I know yours is Rycker and hate to tell you this, but the RT fog lights housing have been on back ordered since last October and not due in for production till this coming July. The right headlight assembly in now out of stock and not due in till next august. I am only waiting on right fog light assembly. They reinstalled the cracked one. Her is what I did with my cracked one. Pulled out and applie hot glue around all edges. Then put clear asking tape. Can barely tell but hoping it doesn’t leak till new one gets hear. When we raced snowmobiles not uncommon to use clear tape to hold together.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I was just looking at the break down of the ryker headlights and they are not a sealed unit, you may want to check the seal on the bulb assembly and make sure they are tightly put together with the headlight housing! The fog should go away after it gets warm enough to dry! good luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

didn't you say you changed the bulbs? You might not have, I might have you confused with someone else. That stupid rubber boot/seal was a PITA to get snug back on, wonder if there is a gap or it moved. Maybe a hair dryer aimed in there after removing boot, lock nut/plastic ring thing and bulb, then reassemble?

I have no idea other than this. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

I have the same issue every now and then when I ride in the rain, clears up fairly quickly so haven't paid too much attention to it. 🤔
    -Austin White/Year round rider/21 Ryker Rally/6000 miles

Spyder Garage

Still running OEM headlights, untouched as far as I know. I'll pass on the word about the bulb boots and seals. Maybe even upgrade the lights long as they're in that far.. Stock lights are pretty pitiful IMHO, but last bike had a Truck Lite LED on it, so let' just say I'm spoiled. That thing could burn a hole in a road sign at 100 yards ... ;-}

PS - I've got pics of both bulbs for the dealer so they can see exactly what I see.

Spyder Garage

The headlight assemblies are not sealed. Remove the bulbs and blow some WARM air in the bulb opening with a hair drier. While you're at it, replace the bulbs with some LED units. You won't be sorry.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post

I was wondering if there was an update/if you fixed it? If you caught that winter storm we got hit with I doubt headlights were waht you were fixated on. Nothing like a couple of inches of snowfall in late april to stop riding in it's tracks.

I do understand that the people further north than me will obviously see snowfall after me, it is just late in the season for an accumulation here. Spring snow isn't uncommon in the mountains, an accumulation like that isn't normal.