Spyder Garage

Default Painting Cadolitic converter underneath spider !!!

Just hit my first thousand miles on my new F3 limited for 2019! Love the machine but I have a couple pet peeves! have any of you painted the catalytic converter underneath it?? sitting there as raw metal and looks unfinished I was thinking of painting it with a hibachi barbecue black I hate it as it looks unfinished!? has anyone done this and been successful or will the paint just bake off?? your thoughts please chime in if you have done this?
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

I wouldn’t do it. I would get a cat delete instead.
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

It would burn off right away. They get much hotter than a barbecue. If it bothers you get a CAT delete. JMO

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Just hit my first thousand miles on my new F3 limited for 2019! Love the machine but I have a couple pet peeves! have any of you painted the catalytic converter underneath it?? sitting there as raw metal and looks unfinished I was thinking of painting it with a hibachi barbecue black I hate it as it looks unfinished!? has anyone done this and been successful or will the paint just bake off?? your thoughts please chime in if you have done this?
    Use VHT paint, the original formula was for NASA.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/vht

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP102-Fla...38499575&psc=1
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Well, technically with the correct paint yes. But I also would recommend ditching it for a midpipe for several reasons. My primary reason was, crap would collect on top of it and there would be burning smells etc when stopped. Not easy to get in there and attempt to scrape sh*t off of it! It does get hot with the catalytic reaction going on in it and that heat radiates up to you. And lastly, it is fairly heavy and I like to remove unnecessary weight. Plus, with the right midpipe things can sound awesome! I would recommend the RLS midpipe as it is "chambered" and has a much nicer sound than a straight thru design....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

RLS is also offering to Ceramic coat the original Cat or any of the options mentioned above. There's a thread ( RLS Exhaust Ceramic coating Service ) in the supporting vendors Forum subsection with a black ceramic coated midpipe, it would look much better under the Spyder.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-25-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added link
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Yeah that’s what I want to do make my spyder even louder that way I won’t even hear the music what the hell is wrong with you guys ?? Lol!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the CAT is made from Stainless Steel ….. that doesn't take paint well ….imho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

What is a cat delete ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    What is a cat delete ?

Replacement pipe for the cat. Puts either a plain pipe in place of it, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2018-C...-/292562431490

Or you can get ones with a built in extra silencer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/143200963112?chn=ps

Both of those are coated black as well.

Just be aware it can reduce torque from the engine and will increase noise from the exhaust. Extra noise is a primary reason most do it, it doesn't really increase performance.

Search for cat delete on here and you can read various threads on how to get the torque back using baffles .
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

The Lamonster cat delete is a beautiful welded piece of work. I personally like the look of it & wouldn’t paint it.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ipe-lamonster/
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Replacement pipe for the cat. Puts either a plain pipe in place of it, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2018-C...-/292562431490

Or you can get ones with a built in extra silencer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/143200963112?chn=ps

Both of those are coated black as well.

Just be aware it can reduce torque from the engine and will increase noise from the exhaust. Extra noise is a primary reason most do it, it doesn't really increase performance.

Search for cat delete on here and you can read various threads on how to get the torque back using baffles .
    I've read the threads, reduced torque and a mind numbing drone while cruising, if this makes sense to you well by golly go for it

Good test to hear sounds levels with various exhaust combos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3-x4URJWM
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    I've read the threads, reduced torque and a mind numbing drone while cruising, if this makes sense to you well by golly go for it

Good test to hear sounds levels with various exhaust combos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3-x4URJWM
    Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either but each to their own. I've stuck with the cat and standard F3 exhaust.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I painted my cat with VHT flat black and so far ( a few hundred miles) its saying put. Helps the big silver tin can disappear under the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Here's the link to my thread on my pedal and exhaust mods. Underneath the pics in my first post I describe what I did to my F3 S exhaust.

Of interest to you might be my description of my install of the universal can opener baffle in the throat of my Two Brothers Racing S pipe (which is a cat delete pipe). Low throaty tone; as far as I can tell I didn't lose any mid range torque compared t the stock CAT and muffler; which I attribute to the installation of the can opener baffle in the S pipe. I can just barely hear the exhaust above the wind noise at 55 MPH on up; so it's fairly quiet by aftermarket exhaust standards. I'm pretty sure TBR makes a version of this slip on system for Spyders with Bags (it sticks out further to the side of the Spyder if I remember rightly. Good luck with what ever you decide to go with.

BTW: If you want a dark mid pipe (stock CAT or aftermarket S pipe); I've used VHT before; you can heat cure it by running your Spyder in incremental stages (slightly longer intervals each time---read their instructions or watch YT vids), but the best way is to coat/paint whatever you're working on and then actually bake the finish in an oven [it'll make a LOT of REALLY nasty fumes so DON'T do it in your house! Go ahead. Ask me how I know that! ]. A more reasonable solution is to find a local coating shop like I did, have them blast your part clean; then high temp powder, or ceramic coat it then bake or let it air cure as called for. Cost more, but you'll get a much more durable finish. The stock CAT, or replacement s pipe gets a lot of road blasting (grit forcefully thrown up on /into it during the course of riding) so it's a hard environment for even the best/longest lasting of coatings.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...er-s-Chop-Shop

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Then of course there's the fact that in more than a few places it is ILLEGAL to modify, delete, etc. the emissions system... of which the catalytic converter is a very big part. I doubt painting the cat is an issue... but pretty sure removing it would be.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Inspection states likely will not pass a cat deleted bike. PA for one.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    There are NO states with emissions inspections for motorcycles. Not even California. And technically the large SS tin can is the primary muffler in the diagrams and manuals, not the cat converter even though it contains one. For now, its not an issue other than noise level. There are laws about that in several areas.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    What??!! Sssoooooo............if I grab a stray cat and zip tie it to my S pipe; will I be able to pass the test??

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags