Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default LED replacement bulbs

Has anyone found an acceptable match to replace the stock headlight bulbs with LED's? Care to share a link?
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The key word is "acceptable".
    An LED "bulb" projects light differently than any other type of bulb.
    Because of that, a whole different reflector assembly is usually required to keep a good working headlight.

So I suspect the answer will be NO.

Spyder Garage

Just find out the number (H3,H4, etc.) of your bulb and get a 4 sided led of the same number.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    The key word is "acceptable".
    An LED "bulb" projects light differently than any other type of bulb.
    Because of that, a whole different reflector assembly is usually required to keep a good working headlight.

So I suspect the answer will be NO.
    The normal bulb is a Halogen, which projects light in 360 degree's …. a two sided LED projects in 356 degree's … a three sided Led projects in 358 degrees..... a four sided Led projects in 359 degree's..... I can't see how this is the issue ……...jmho ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I can't see how this is the issue ……...jmho ….. Mike
    If you really care, do some research.

While a halogen "element" might project light in a 360 degree "bubble", a BULB certainly does not......because the base gets in the way.
    And how effective the reflector is depends, in part, on exactly where the concentrated light source IS in relation to the sides and base of the reflector.

Early attempts at an LED replacement were really BAD.
    Recent changes to LED bulb designs have made it better but potential buyers need to be aware of the potential problem.
    It affects some vehicles worse than others.

Spyder Garage

I just put Beamtech H4 LED's on my Rally and they are awesome. Under $40 on Amazon

Spyder Garage
    2019 F3-S , Monolith Satin Black

Spyder Garage

These have gotten good reviews here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...01L9JZGJ&psc=1
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer View Post
    These have gotten good reviews here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...01L9JZGJ&psc=1
    Yep, those are the one's I installed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    How well did they fit...was there any needed trimming anywhere? Thanks for the info
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm gonna give em a shot!

Thanks
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

No need to trim anything. They work great and the locking ring works just as it did with the stock bulbs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Maso EMS2.

I am keen to see how it goes - I have a 2017 RTL like your picture.

I've been trying to get good lighting since I bought it 12 months ago and have learnt a few things - here down-under the hi and lo beams are separate. The highs under the Windshield, the lows in the lights aside the Frunk.
    1. Are you looking for a wider spread - both low and high beams dont light much of the verge and none of the road side where critters like to sit and wait for my arrival.
    2. Are you looking for more central light
    3. Are you looking for improvements in general.
    4. Some bulbs will improve one of the above
    5. The reflectors in our case are the problem.
    6. 1 up and two up provide drastically different outcomes with lighting - I wish the RTL's came with adjustable lighting like my car so that I could adjust them to suit who's on what at the time.

The opinions of many that I spoke with, all had suggested "awesome bulbs" but many were city dwellers - not in the country like me. When we rode out of the city lights onto rural highways they saw what I meant.

I communicated with a number of manufacturers to get their input and many suggested their LED product would not solve the problem - better spread. PIAA suggested one option - see notes below.

I have been experimenting with different bulbs from different manufacturers, and luck has it my car takes the same bulbs.

I tried a PIAA Extreme White Plus Halogen which has a 5 degree slant on the filament in the high beams. They improved it a bit but the dreaded spots of focused light remained. Fitted to my car it was "holy **** light everywhere". In the car they were great, RTL not work the cost.

I recently tried the Sylvania 9005's from my car (a 2012 model) with the Sylvania 9005's in the RTL - it was amazing how much the bulb improved the low beam spread and brightness - I can't find a difference in the markings.

I have tried a couple of different brand LEDS and none yet have given the improvement I want to the high beam or low - the reflector seems to be the limiting factor. Interestingly the BRP QUAD's have better headlight coverage than the RTL - go figure. I have seen another RTL with JB Speaker LED's which did give a better spread so they must sit ever so differently in the reflector.

I dont buy the argument that "bike headlights are always ****". I want headlight coverage like my old 1985 Honda VF1000 FIIF. It had a dual headlight and coverage was awesome at low and awesome spread at high beam. As a result I toured a lot regardless of the hour.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I installed these beamtech h4 bulbs without having to do any modifications.
    https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...dp/B06XHD78DQ/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyuberalles View Post
    I installed these beamtech h4 bulbs without having to do any modifications.
    https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...dp/B06XHD78DQ/
    Same here, they work great and are super bright. I will add this, I did have to adjust the left headlight up to match the right using the adjusting screws.

Spyder Garage

No need to trim anything. They work great and the locking ring works just as it did with the stock bulbs.
    hi, not with the Ryker

https://youtu.be/prtIKjZsYLs?fbclid=...VqGpTqKFHCVGKk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sonsofanarchy View Post
    Those are not the bulbs I installed and the Beamtech H4's require no trimming or modification of any kind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sonsofanarchy View Post
    I did not need to trim anything either.

Spyder Garage

I was looking for LEDs for the Ryker my wife bought. Sorry, the RT is just in my signature. I went with LED's from Spyderpops on the RT and they're great
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Hi Maso EMS2.

I am keen to see how it goes - I have a 2017 RTL like your picture.

I've been trying to get good lighting since I bought it 12 months ago and have learnt a few things - here down-under the hi and lo beams are separate. The highs under the Windshield, the lows in the lights aside the Frunk.
    1. Are you looking for a wider spread - both low and high beams dont light much of the verge and none of the road side where critters like to sit and wait for my arrival.
    2. Are you looking for more central light
    3. Are you looking for improvements in general.
    4. Some bulbs will improve one of the above
    5. The reflectors in our case are the problem.
    6. 1 up and two up provide drastically different outcomes with lighting - I wish the RTL's came with adjustable lighting like my car so that I could adjust them to suit who's on what at the time.

The opinions of many that I spoke with, all had suggested "awesome bulbs" but many were city dwellers - not in the country like me. When we rode out of the city lights onto rural highways they saw what I meant.

I communicated with a number of manufacturers to get their input and many suggested their LED product would not solve the problem - better spread. PIAA suggested one option - see notes below.

I have been experimenting with different bulbs from different manufacturers, and luck has it my car takes the same bulbs.

I tried a PIAA Extreme White Plus Halogen which has a 5 degree slant on the filament in the high beams. They improved it a bit but the dreaded spots of focused light remained. Fitted to my car it was "holy **** light everywhere". In the car they were great, RTL not work the cost.

I recently tried the Sylvania 9005's from my car (a 2012 model) with the Sylvania 9005's in the RTL - it was amazing how much the bulb improved the low beam spread and brightness - I can't find a difference in the markings.

I have tried a couple of different brand LEDS and none yet have given the improvement I want to the high beam or low - the reflector seems to be the limiting factor. Interestingly the BRP QUAD's have better headlight coverage than the RTL - go figure. I have seen another RTL with JB Speaker LED's which did give a better spread so they must sit ever so differently in the reflector.

I dont buy the argument that "bike headlights are always ****". I want headlight coverage like my old 1985 Honda VF1000 FIIF. It had a dual headlight and coverage was awesome at low and awesome spread at high beam. As a result I toured a lot regardless of the hour.
    Askitee, that's just my RT in my signature...I was looking for LEDs for my wife's Ryker, and I went with the ones being mentioned. I did upgrade the RT too, with LEDs from Spyderpops
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I did hikari H4 LED’s in mine. You can rotate them once installed which is something I thought was a nice touch. Night and day difference between stock and these but you do need to modify the ring for it to work. Wasn’t hard to do took me 15 min to do both.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djdilliodon View Post
    I did hikari H4 LED’s in mine. You can rotate them once installed which is something I thought was a nice touch. Night and day difference between stock and these but you do need to modify the ring for it to work. Wasn’t hard to do took me 15 min to do both.
    Why would you want to rotate them? Based on the LED they are supposed to be positioned a certain way, right. For High and Low Beams. You can rotate the Beamtech's also about 1/4 turn but I didn't see a reason for this at all. Can you elaborate on why you would need to rotate them?

Spyder Garage

i'm running these in my 2014 RTL. Awesome lights. Plug and play with no other mods needed. Worth every dollar.

https://www.*******usa.com/product-p...or-spyder-rt-1

2014 RT LTD - Satin Silver
    BajaRon Sway Bar and Links / Outlaw Laser Alignment / Lamonster Cat Delete / Tric LED Headlights / Lamonster LED Fog Lights / Lamonster Magic Mirrors / SpyderPops BumpSkid / Missing Belt Guard / Air Ryde Rock Armour Air Suspension Rock Guard / SpyderFlap Extended Mud Flap / Ultimate Stainless Steel Dual Flag Holders / Kott Stainless Steel Grilles / Lamonster IPS Belt Tensioner / BRP Clear Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors / Roadster Renovations Blindspot Mirrors / Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with Large X-Grip and Drink Holder / Bone Mountain Vintage Driver Backrest Organizer / Show Chrome Trunk Lid Luggage Rack / Lidlox Helmet Lox / Grip Puppies / Hopnel Dash Tri-Pouch / Show Chrome Passenger Armrests / Can Am Spyder Accessories Floating Highway Pegs / Show Chrome Short Spiral Antenna / SpyderZone Rear Saddlebag & Trunk Lid Zippered Pockets
    2014 RT Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

**** LED sells an awesome light that fits in the housing without having to make any modifications that will ruin the waterproofing of the housing. Best lights out there IMO.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-08-2019 at 04:36 PM.

2014 RT LTD - Satin Silver
    BajaRon Sway Bar and Links / Outlaw Laser Alignment / Lamonster Cat Delete / Tric LED Headlights / Lamonster LED Fog Lights / Lamonster Magic Mirrors / SpyderPops BumpSkid / Missing Belt Guard / Air Ryde Rock Armour Air Suspension Rock Guard / SpyderFlap Extended Mud Flap / Ultimate Stainless Steel Dual Flag Holders / Kott Stainless Steel Grilles / Lamonster IPS Belt Tensioner / BRP Clear Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors / Roadster Renovations Blindspot Mirrors / Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with Large X-Grip and Drink Holder / Bone Mountain Vintage Driver Backrest Organizer / Show Chrome Trunk Lid Luggage Rack / Lidlox Helmet Lox / Grip Puppies / Hopnel Dash Tri-Pouch / Show Chrome Passenger Armrests / Can Am Spyder Accessories Floating Highway Pegs / Show Chrome Short Spiral Antenna / SpyderZone Rear Saddlebag & Trunk Lid Zippered Pockets
    2014 RT Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White