Thread: 200 mile review

Spyder Garage

Default 200 mile review

I got my Ryker a couple of weeks ago and just hit my 200 mile break in period and thought I'd share my thoughts as someone coming from a motorcycle. I got to test ride the Ryker at a ride event in Atlanta--and despite it being a super slow slog through a small course, it was enough to convince me to give up 2 wheels for 3. The course was set up in a nasty parking lot with lots of potholes and gravel--which are things motorcycles hate. The Ryker handled them so well and so stable I was ready to trade my bike right then and there.

My set up is:
    Ryker 900 ACE with yellow panels
    Hand wind guards
    Sport windshield
    Shad saddlebag
    Tank bag
    Comfort seat
    Passenger comfort seat and flip-down back rest
    Max mount
    2-up spring

First--I love my Ryker. I've looked at Spyders for years, but always walked away because of the cost. Ryker is a blast to drive and I couldn't be happier. Having said that--it's not a motorcycle (nor does it claim to be)--but people like to compare. It feels a little "floaty" and not leaning into turns took a little time to get used to, but by the time I got it home from the dealer (about 40 miles) it was second nature. The amount of RPMs was a bit shocking to me (and I came from a Honda, not a Harley), but I quickly got used to it. There is also a piece of plastic buzzing somewhere, but it hasn't bothered me enough to search it down and try to fix it. The windscreen also buzzes once in a while--but I expected this with all that plastic.

In the turns, I'm just as fast on the Ryker as I was on my bike--and faster when going from a stop directly into a turn sharper than 90 degrees. One drawback many motorcyclists point to is that on 3 wheels you will hit every pothole on the road. Not true--yes, there have been times I couldn't figure out a way to avoid a road hazard and went over it with one wheel, but there's enough gap between the front and rear wheel that I rarely hit potholes and have learned how to split them just fine. The suspension is so good, though, that those few times I did hit a hazard I hardly felt it at all.

I've been careful during the break in period to vary my driving speed and haven't gotten above 60, yet, but have not felt any vibration in the steering. I've also avoided opening the throttle wide, but it still has plenty of power to get me moving. I've only put it in sport mode once and didn't notice any difference (but again--I haven't pushed anything during break in). I've filled up with premium (I know there's a debate on if that's necessary, but whatever). I averaged 29 MPG on my first tank--but I admittedly have sat in a lot of traffic as I've used it for my commute most days since I got it.

The "thunk" from starting from a dead stop has gotten quieter--or I've gotten better at how I open the throttle to minimize it.

My kids (who are teens to early 20's) all really like riding on back and feel pretty secure. The way the passenger seat is elevated makes it easier for them to see past me, which they prefer much more to the motorcycle.

Finally--I have to mention the stares and conversation. I've owned 3 motorcycles, and aside from the occasional little boy waving never drew much attention. And conversations with friends or coworkers were always about who they knew who died on a bike. The Ryker draws much more positive attention. Drivers notice me (I know, because they tell me), coworkers and friends ask a lot about it, and everywhere I go people are looking to see what the heck it is. I still pay attention to my surroundings and avoid blind spots of cagers, but it's nice knowing that for as much as people don't see motorcycles, they seem to see the Ryker (and Spyder, too, I'm sure).

So I'm not normally one to run out and buy a first generation product--but I couldn't help myself with the Ryker, and I'm glad I did. It's a lot of fun and will hopefully hold up for a lot of years. A touring edition of the Ryker, or a Spyder with a shaft drive and easier maintenance access is something I'd definitely consider next time I'm ready for something new.

IMG_0335 (2).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Good review, remember to keep your front tire PSI between 18 & 20 lbs and rear at around 28

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

When I rode my dad's to his house from the dealer it had a real bad buzzing sound. Turned out to be 2 things. The loudest was the wind deflectors on the hand guards, they would buzz until it hit about 35 or 40 (then the air held them tight), we could even get it to do it stopped by revving it just a little. You can check by tapping on them and see if they make a sound. We fixed it by loosening the 2 torx (size 20?) screws underneath that hold them on, then pressing them real tight to the hand guard and tightening the screws while still pressing hard.

The other buzz got faster with speed and it was the RH cover that you drop to check the oil. I think it just wasn't fastened real tight and after playing with it, we got the fastener to turn a little farther and that held it tight enough. I could tell by looking at the female side of the fastener that the pins still had about 1/8 turn to go from where we were stopping before.
    Rick Miller

2015 RT Limited - Red
    Baja Ron Sway Bar, Kumho Ecsta rear tire, Viair compressor.

Other current bikes -
    2008 Kawasaki KLR-650 - Blue/Silver
    1995 Yamaha Virago 705 - Red/White

Spyder Garage

If you have as much fun as I have on mine it is worth every penny. Got mine feb 8 and have put 4,600 mikes on it.Be safe and have fun with your new toy. Almost forgot, it is a head tuner which I could live without. I ride guys that have Harleys and people walk up to mine to say how cool it is. My Harley friends have not aid anything but I know what there thinking.