Spyder Garage

Default Baha Ron Sway bar

I have a 2012 RT and notice high winds and semis buffet me and cornering can be a bit challenging at times. I plan to buy a new sway bar hoping to improve that. My wife has a 2018 RT, she doesn't complain but would a new sway bar improve the handling on the 18? I believe I read the newer Can Ams don't have the same sway bar issues of the older ones.
    Thanks in advance!

Spyder Garage

The Baja Ron Sway Bar yields a significant improvement in handling of the 2018 RT. Body roll in turns is virtually eliminated and there is noticeable improvement in responsiveness to driver input on the handlebars without any hint of the twitchiness I noticed with the stock bar. I had the Baja Ron Sway Bar installed after about 1,000 miles and noticed the improved handling before I even left the dealer's parking lot. Hands down the single best upgrade I have made to the Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SCreech View Post
    The Baja Ron Sway Bar yields a significant improvement in handling of the 2018 RT. Body roll in turns is virtually eliminated and there is noticeable improvement in responsiveness to driver input on the handlebars without any hint of the twitchiness I noticed with the stock bar. I had the Baja Ron Sway Bar installed after about 1,000 miles and noticed the improved handling before I even left the dealer's parking lot. Hands down the single best upgrade I have made to the Spyder!
    Agreed, my neighbor noticed the the difference from his right away.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    I have a 2012 RT and notice high winds and semis buffet me and cornering can be a bit challenging at times. I plan to buy a new sway bar hoping to improve that. My wife has a 2018 RT, she doesn't complain but would a new sway bar improve the handling on the 18? I believe I read the newer Can Ams don't have the same sway bar issues of the older ones.
    Thanks in advance!
    Okay, I'm going to get a lot of flack on this but here goes....

We have two 2014 RTL bikes. My wife's bike has the BajaRon sway bar and has been laser aligned twice. Mine is bone stock and never been aligned. Hers needs new front tires at 21k miles and mine are still good at 23k. I've pushed mine at over 90 mph through the twisties with complete confidence while my wife's tends to be a little twitchy under the conditions you mention.

Bottom line for me is that a heavier sway bar undoubtedly reduces chassis roll over the stock, but don't expect it to be a silver bullet solution for every handling problem you might encounter (or perceive to be a problem).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Okay, I'm going to get a lot of flack on this but here goes....

We have two 2014 RTL bikes. My wife's bike has the BajaRon sway bar and has been laser aligned twice. Mine is bone stock and never been aligned. Hers needs new front tires at 21k miles and mine are still good at 23k. I've pushed mine at over 90 mph through the twisties with complete confidence while my wife's tends to be a little twitchy under the conditions you mention.

Bottom line for me is that a heavier sway bar undoubtedly reduces chassis roll over the stock, but don't expect it to be a silver bullet solution for every handling problem you might encounter (or perceive to be a problem).
    True, my sway bar will not fix bad shocks, bad alignment or suspension hard part issues. If any of these are bad before the bar kit is installed, they will still be bad after the bar kit is installed. Sometimes it can be hard to ferret out exactly what is causing alignment issues.

I am sorry your wife's Spyder is giving you so much grief. Something has to be wrong somewhere as a properly aligned and set-up Spyder is a joy to ride.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True, my sway bar will not fix bad shocks, bad alignment or suspension hard part issues. If any of these are bad before the bar kit is installed, they will still be bad after the bar kit is installed. Sometimes it can be hard to ferret out exactly what is causing alignment issues.

I am sorry your wife's Spyder is giving you so much grief. Something has to be wrong somewhere as a properly aligned and set-up Spyder is a joy to ride.
    I think it may be the tires on her bike. We'll know shortly as I'm putting new Vredestein tires on both bikes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My 2012 has no real issues except in extreme conditions. Wind, passing trucks,etc. I rode it from Kalispell, MT to Sheridan Wyoming one day, over 645 miles, which is a big day for me. I hoped the new sway bar would improve it and most comments support that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 has no real issues except in extreme conditions. Wind, passing trucks,etc. I rode it from Kalispell, MT to Sheridan Wyoming one day, over 645 miles, which is a big day for me. I hoped the new sway bar would improve it and most comments support that.
    There is no down side to trying it. I support BajaRon products 100%.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I had Rons Bar on my (Now Sold) 2012 RT and it worked Great! I still love how it handled even though its gone .

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

The BajaRon sway bar will improve any model and year spyder/ryker but the effect will be different to each according to their style of ryding. The casual tame ryder may not notice it as much as the aggressive ryder. The stock bar is middle of the road and still good if you do not feel you need more. Main changes would be alignment, sway bar, shocks in that order and I recommend doing them one at a time so as to see the effect of each...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

improvement is NOT perfection. While the Spyder may get less buffeting, you will personally continue to feel passing trucks etc.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SCreech View Post
    Who did your install of the sway bar? I see that you are in Raleigh, NC. Are you a member on the Triangle Spyders facebook page?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Team Powersports in Garner, NC did the install in a snap. PM sent.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    improvement is NOT perfection. While the Spyder may get less buffeting, you will personally continue to feel passing trucks etc.
    True... Perfection is reserved for the next life. The best we can hope to obtain in this life is; 'Better'!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think it may be the tires on her bike. We'll know shortly as I'm putting new Vredestein tires on both bikes.
    Pete.....If She has Kenda's that isn't very Bad mileage , but imho it is on the low side ….. The Vredesteins are the best tires out there today - however the only thing that cures Bad Alignment is Good Alignment ………. Everyone who does Lazer alignment are not EQUAL …. Exactly what on Her tires tells you it isn't wearing / performing like yours ….. different things are responsible for different issues …. help us help you ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pete.....If She has Kenda's that isn't very Bad mileage , but imho it is on the low side ….. The Vredesteins are the best tires out there today - however the only thing that cures Bad Alignment is Good Alignment ………. Everyone who does Lazer alignment are not EQUAL …. Exactly what on Her tires tells you it isn't wearing / performing like yours ….. different things are responsible for different issues …. help us help you ….. Mike
    Mike, the first alignment was done by the previous owner at PitBull, where they bought the bike. The second one was done by Joe Meyer after I bought it and Joe told me at the time it was quite out of alignment and the tires had worn badly because of it. At that time (16 months ago), the bike handled okay and the tires still had plenty of tread, although they were badly cupped.

Since it is my wife's bike I didn't know the handling had deteriorated considerably since then until I had to ride it 100 miles recently; that's when I noticed the handlebars shaking and decided to replace the tires. I'm sure the shaking will be cured by that, and it probably will also track just fine, as it did when I first got it.

My point in my original post on this thread was that the handling issues experienced by the OP could be the result of many different factors, including the rider's perception and won't necessarily go away just by installing a heavier sway bar. I think folks missed that in their rush to defend BajaRon sway bars (which wasn't necessary because I think adding his sway bar to an otherwise properly handling bike can only result in even better handling).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

First hard ride since change over to BajaRons sway bar. A vast improvement, stock sway bar 2 up the bike would lean hard taking sharp turns at posted spees. With the new bar the same turns are easily done at 10 mph over without near the lean as before. 150 miles and much easier to drive. The last 20 miles we had a 50 mph gusting cross wind. The bike was easily handleable and under control while being battered about.

Money well spent, glad I did it. I would buy it again and highly recommend it to others!

Winter time new shocks, springs, and seat.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

Fitted the Bajaron sway bar to my 2012 Rt just yesterday... before it was twitchy, lot of body roll in the corners and didn't inspire any confidence... this was my last ditch attempt to make this thing ride how I wanted it to before I threw n the towel and went back to 2 wheels... And I was amazed at what a difference the bar made.. rides nice and straight... no wandering.. twitching or anything else I hated about it..its sure footed now and good in the bends..and steers nice. Deffo worth doing the upgrade...took an hour to do and was an easy fit!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Mike, Jane's bike was aligned by Joe and Ann some time ago, so that was not the issue for her. Her bike also has the BajaRon sway bar, so it wasn't that either. Replacing the front tires with Vredesteins (16psi) a week ago did the trick. Straight line stability is vastly improved and of course there's no longer any vibration in the handlebars. It also turns much more easily and is stable in the twisties.

Each situation is different.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Curlytops View Post
    Fitted the Bajaron sway bar to my 2012 Rt just yesterday... before it was twitchy, lot of body roll in the corners and didn't inspire any confidence... this was my last ditch attempt to make this thing ride how I wanted it to before I threw n the towel and went back to 2 wheels... And I was amazed at what a difference the bar made.. rides nice and straight... no wandering.. twitching or anything else I hated about it..its sure footed now and good in the bends..and steers nice. Deffo worth doing the upgrade...took an hour to do and was an easy fit!
    Curly, I am attempting to install Bajaron sway bar and new links on my 2012 RT. I seem to be having problems with getting the links to fit. They are very tight against the frame. I've got the bar and it looks like the swivel balls on the links are smaller than the oem ones. Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks, Bob

Spyder Garage

I talked with Ron (bajaron) about the installation of the links. The instructions I received didn't address the spacer issue. Ron sent me updated instructions. 2 hours later I had it all buttoned up, including adjusting my shift lever, and ready to ride. Eat lunch and went for a 50 mile ride. Works as advertised. Now I gotta get a different seat. Stock seat ain't kind to me. Thanks to all and Ron.